IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown - who's driving what?
3/22/13, 6:06 PM   #71
Re: Silver crown - who's driving what?
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
How much of that title sponsorship money was put back into the car owners pocket when all was said and done?
From this 2006 press release when they switched to the new pavement cars they put a substantial amount of additional money in the car owners pockets via increased purses and point fund. Had this idea worked (which USAC expected it to) and they were able to continue to race at the larger tracks for a larger purse the car owners would have recouped their expenses in transitioning to the new car. Then in the following years the increased purses would have made the owners more money.
2006 SILVER CROWN POINT FUND ESCALATES TO RECORD QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS

A quarter of a million dollars is the lofty figure representing the cash bundle which will be distributed to USAC Silver Crown Championship participants at the end of the 2006 racing season, nearly triple last year’s point fund. The record series payout was announced today by USAC President/CEO Rollie Helmling.

“We are proud that we have been able to arrange for this significant amount,” said Helmling. “It represents the impact of our expanded schedule, the substantial increase in purses, the influx of major venues, the expansion of our fan base and the valued commitment of series presenter K & N Engineering. With a $250,000 point fund, which is almost three times what we paid in 2005, and total posted purses exceeding $1.3 million (over twice the 2005 figure), USAC Silver Crown participants are enjoying the rewards of this expansion.”

The increased point fund will allow for a wider distribution base with the emphasis on a tremendous increase in the amount realized by the series championship team.

“This is a good deal,” said 2006 Silver Crown point leader Brian Tyler, winner of the March 25 race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. “I love racing, but I’m racing for the money too, so I hope I can be there when the champion’s money is handed out. I’ve been close several times but haven’t been able to land the big check yet. Maybe this will be the year.”

Tyler, who finished second in points in 1998, realizes the importance of racing in front of larger crowds and at larger venues.

“The bigger the track, the better,” he said. “I enjoy super-speedways and the increased money is important to me. Plus, I get to showcase my talent in front of some influential people. My team (6R Racing) has done a great job so far and now it’s up to me to do the rest. This huge point fund is obviously going to stir interest in new
participants for this series.”

The series which has expanded this year from 10 to 14 events and to tracks up to 1.5 miles in length, will also realize average purse increases of more than $30,000 per race from 2005, with race purses topping out at $150,000 and winners shares reaching the $25,000 figure.

The next series event is the prestigious “Hoosier Hundred’ at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, where the 1-mile dirt oval will play host to the 54th running of one of America’s greatest dirt-track traditions. The next series pavement event is the “Kentucky 100” as USAC’s new generation Silver Crown cars visit the 1.5-mile Sparta, Ky. oval for the first time in their history.

2 members like this post: Jonr, sc96
3/22/13, 7:09 PM   #72
PAW

I wander if USAC as read any of this ? Do they even give a crap? I bet NOT !

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

3/22/13, 7:26 PM   #73
groove grabber

Continuing to beat a dead horse and slam usac wont fix us now we need everyone on the same page and moving forward with promoting the series, building the excitement. Lets let the past die and create a future gentlemen

I think we are creating some interest , keep it going

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by groove grabber; 3/22/13 at 9:00 PM.

3/22/13, 8:35 PM   #74
luckybuc97

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove grabber View Post
Continuing to beat a dead horse and slam usac wont fix us now we need everyone on the same page and moving forward with promoting the series, building the excitement. Lets let the past die and create a future gentleman

I think we are creating some interest , keep it going

Posted via Mobile Device
Shane, you amaze me man, Keep up the hard work & good luck this yr. & beyond..

1 member likes this post: groove grabber
3/22/13, 10:52 PM   #75
sc96

It will be interesting to see how many cars show up at each event 40 would be excellent but my guess is if they average15 to 18 cars that won't keep them alive very long

Posted via Mobile Device

3/22/13, 11:05 PM   #76
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
From this 2006 press release when they switched to the new pavement cars they put a substantial amount of additional money in the car owners pockets via increased purses and point fund. Had this idea worked (which USAC expected it to) and they were able to continue to race at the larger tracks for a larger purse the car owners would have recouped their expenses in transitioning to the new car. Then in the following years the increased purses would have made the owners more money.
2006 SILVER CROWN POINT FUND ESCALATES TO RECORD QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS

A quarter of a million dollars is the lofty figure representing the cash bundle which will be distributed to USAC Silver Crown Championship participants at the end of the 2006 racing season, nearly triple last year’s point fund. The record series payout was announced today by USAC President/CEO Rollie Helmling.

“We are proud that we have been able to arrange for this significant amount,” said Helmling. “It represents the impact of our expanded schedule, the substantial increase in purses, the influx of major venues, the expansion of our fan base and the valued commitment of series presenter K & N Engineering. With a $250,000 point fund, which is almost three times what we paid in 2005, and total posted purses exceeding $1.3 million (over twice the 2005 figure), USAC Silver Crown participants are enjoying the rewards of this expansion.”

The increased point fund will allow for a wider distribution base with the emphasis on a tremendous increase in the amount realized by the series championship team.

“This is a good deal,” said 2006 Silver Crown point leader Brian Tyler, winner of the March 25 race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. “I love racing, but I’m racing for the money too, so I hope I can be there when the champion’s money is handed out. I’ve been close several times but haven’t been able to land the big check yet. Maybe this will be the year.”

Tyler, who finished second in points in 1998, realizes the importance of racing in front of larger crowds and at larger venues.

“The bigger the track, the better,” he said. “I enjoy super-speedways and the increased money is important to me. Plus, I get to showcase my talent in front of some influential people. My team (6R Racing) has done a great job so far and now it’s up to me to do the rest. This huge point fund is obviously going to stir interest in new
participants for this series.”

The series which has expanded this year from 10 to 14 events and to tracks up to 1.5 miles in length, will also realize average purse increases of more than $30,000 per race from 2005, with race purses topping out at $150,000 and winners shares reaching the $25,000 figure.

The next series event is the prestigious “Hoosier Hundred’ at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, where the 1-mile dirt oval will play host to the 54th running of one of America’s greatest dirt-track traditions. The next series pavement event is the “Kentucky 100” as USAC’s new generation Silver Crown cars visit the 1.5-mile Sparta, Ky. oval for the first time in their history.
I can say that when we ran on the 1,5 tracks we made money yes the new cars were expensive but if you took the money we were getting and applied that over the life of a car in basically 5 years we were going to be even also sponsership for the teams was comming along but with the change at usac and the changes in NASCAR it was all scraped and the owners were left holding the bag so now we are where we are and the light is dim but at least there is a light

Posted via Mobile Device

3/23/13, 11:47 AM   #77
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Anyone heard if Jon Stanbrough, Bud Kaeding, or either of the Swanson brothers have rides for this year?

Posted via Mobile Device

3/23/13, 11:48 AM   #78
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW View Post
I wander if USAC as read any of this ? Do they even give a crap? I bet NOT !
That's the spirit. That is one very informative, insightful, and helpful post!

The current regime at USAC inherited a very "wounded" division after the Gold Crown, Vacuum Cleaner, or whatever they were called debacle. Shorlty there after, the economy tanks. This was the ultimate in an unfortunate case of real bad timing. The $ behind that deal, then bails.
Is this the CURRENT regime's fault? No.

They (USAC), are STILL putting on races, some of which are out of pocket.... To take that a step further, if Ignite did not come along, some of the races on the last year's schedule would not have happened at all!!

I too was not thrilled about having to run that fuel, but in hindsight, it has turned out, if researched correctly, to be not a bad deal.... I would bet most of the top teams will still be running it this year, even though you can still run methanol.

Now for someone who is trying to kill a division, why would they run very high risk races out of their own pocket? Why would they look for sponsors that are looking to the future (green initiatives)? Why would there be more races on the schedule this year, than many in previous years?

This is a double edged sword. You have inherited a weak car count from previous decisions, and a bad economy. You're promoting races, that while maybe the best in many of our eyes, is a VERY tough sell to the un-educated public that think all of racing is nascar. Add to that, it is a very required taste to the public, much like Formula 1... You either get it, or you don't. The general public does not understand cars running basically in single file on a mile long dirt track for an hour or so, in the middle of a hot afternoon. They tend to understand Jimmie Johnson being mad at Denny Hamlin for all that rubbin' is racin' s*%t on their tv screen, a lot easier.

I am not sure how to go about getting today's general public, interested in this form of racing??? That is a very tough question to answer. But if USAC didn't care enough to try, their simply would be no races... At this point, that would be a much easier, and less costly way to go, BUT THEY'RE STILL TRYING!!

On the car count side of things, same deal, what do you do?? They (USAC) call owners, I know this for a fact.
In our own particular case, we flat out just did not have the expendable funds like we used too. We even sold the Sprint Car, just so we could continue SC racing, but after a while with the current state of life in the USA, we just simply could not afford that either..... How many more of those "sitting cars" that are out there, are probably in the same boat??.... Is this USAC's fault?

Look, on a personal level, like Shane said, there is NOTHING in this world like a Big Car on the dirt mile, at the fair... NOTHING! I would give my left nut to be able to get back out there, in one of those cars.... And also for the reason that I don't use my left nut much, anymore.

Has USAC made mistakes? Sure, but so have all of us. I personally used to get pretty upset at what they charge to join the Silver Crown division as an owner/driver. I expressed this to them, and they "helped" me out on it (no it wasn't free, they helped me). They wanted another car there, and they helped to get it done. Again, they are TRYING to get this back to a better place!
This will be a very long road to bring this division back to where it was before 2006. Many factors have led to where it is now, but it is not all doom and gloom.
Everyone who loves these cars should try and help in their own way... The old, bring a freind to the races comes in to play. You can even use the incetive that we're going to take said freind to a race, and btw, there is a State Fair going on too!!!
Car owner's may try to at least make it to just one race with their "sitting around" equipment, now that methanol is back in play?
This is not all on USAC, it is on everyone who want to not only see these cars survive, but to once again flourish!

3/23/13, 12:29 PM   #79
RacinFool

imho im very happy that this great tradition will continue in 2013 and look forward to being a part of it this season. being from syracuse ny it would be great to have them again on the moodx mile!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: khr04
3/23/13, 6:58 PM   #80
wing410fan

Race Count This Year: 2

Bud kaeding had his equipment up for sale back in november. I don`t know if he sold everything or not. I hope not i enjoyed watching him. As for the swanson boys i have not seen that they have silver crown rides or not.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown - who's driving what?