IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stanton Overhead Cam Mopar
12/21/12, 11:54 PM   #71
Re: Stanton Overhead Cam Mopar
Roy Bleckert

Waiting for the announcement , may have @ least 2 tracks in SoCal that will be pretty wide open on engine rules for Midgets

12/22/12, 9:32 AM   #72
sprintracer82

Castor oil would be fine! I just think with the sled engine and clutches for under $5000 you could have a competitive car. In the 80scar my dad raced mini champs and only with a 521cc engine he was faster than most anything. I think the only thing faster was a super modified.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/22/12, 10:35 AM   #73
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintracer82 View Post
Castor oil would be fine! I just think with the sled engine and clutches for under $5000 you could have a competitive car. In the 80scar my dad raced mini champs and only with a 521cc engine he was faster than most anything. I think the only thing faster was a super modified.

Posted via Mobile Device

The problem is probably not with national midget racing and high priced national midget racing hardware, the problem is no one has been around to develop a local midget racing program that would prohibit teams from coming in with the high priced national midget stuff and killing the sport for teams that have no desire to travel 60,000 miles per year to race.

The folks up at Montpelier and even Mini- sprints (1000cc midgets) I mean are addressing this problem pretty well and perhaps need more support. I am not as discriminating fan as many but put 20 motorcycle powered cars on the track racing together and I can't tell the difference between them and the high priced national cars.

The national racers are the elite give them the big old race tracks and let them race their hearts out to smaller and smaller crowds but separate them and their equipment from the local racers.
Rules do need to be made to exclude modern national equipment from racing with the local clubs.

Speaking of Snowmobile engines the really bad ones now are powered by 4 cycle motorcycle type engines. The old 2 cycle has just plain lost out in the horsepower race, but they sure smell good . One of the things I really loved when I was a kid was that smell coming from some of them funny sounding midgets.

Click on www.ussaprostar.com these guys are putting midget frames on snowmobiles.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/22/12 at 10:49 AM.

12/22/12, 11:39 AM   #74
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Here in New England, we not only have NEMA and NEMA Lites, we have the Dirt Midget Assn, which is affiliated with USAC. They had about 20 cars most nights this year, and it looks like more are coming next year. One of their young members said he has about $6000 in his car, and it is quite competitive. From my point of view, they sound much better than minisprints.

http://dmaracing.org/

12/22/12, 11:49 AM   #75
backitin

In todays world midget racing makes not much sense to me. With todays 1400cc jap engines, run Minisprints. Than for the guys who want to spend big bucks and go faster buy a mans car and move up to a 410 sprint. You can than leave the midgets for guys with more money than anything else.

12/22/12, 12:24 PM   #76
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Here in New England, we not only have NEMA and NEMA Lites, we have the Dirt Midget Assn, which is affiliated with USAC. They had about 20 cars most nights this year, and it looks like more are coming next year. One of their young members said he has about $6000 in his car, and it is quite competitive. From my point of view, they sound much better than minisprints.

http://dmaracing.org/

And the first thing I see is they are having a driving chassis set up seminar for any one interested. But USAC Focus rules?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/22/12 at 12:27 PM.

12/22/12, 1:16 PM   #77
gearguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
The problem is probably not with national midget racing and high priced national midget racing hardware, the problem is no one has been around to develop a local midget racing program that would prohibit teams from coming in with the high priced national midget stuff and killing the sport for teams that have no desire to travel 60,000 miles per year to race.

The folks up at Montpelier and even Mini- sprints (1000cc midgets) I mean are addressing this problem pretty well and perhaps need more support. I am not as discriminating fan as many but put 20 motorcycle powered cars on the track racing together and I can't tell the difference between them and the high priced national cars.

The national racers are the elite give them the big old race tracks and let them race their hearts out to smaller and smaller crowds but separate them and their equipment from the local racers.
Rules do need to be made to exclude modern national equipment from racing with the local clubs.

Speaking of Snowmobile engines the really bad ones now are powered by 4 cycle motorcycle type engines. The old 2 cycle has just plain lost out in the horsepower race, but they sure smell good . One of the things I really loved when I was a kid was that smell coming from some of them funny sounding midgets.

Click on www.ussaprostar.com these guys are putting midget frames on snowmobiles.

Honest Dad himself
At the risk of offending those concerned with thread hijacking, I'd like to point out the many midget clubs, including Badger and ARDC, were Class B organizations which only allowed stock block/head engines to race. Badger stayed that way until they let Offys and then Sescos compete in the late 1970s. It was a big mistake then and clubs could learn something from it now. I appreciate that professional engine builders need to earn a living but when you can't build/fix your own motor the cost of any class of racing goes up quickly.
Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois

3 members like this post: DAD, DaveP63, erich45
12/22/12, 1:21 PM   #78
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy View Post
At the risk of offending those concerned with thread hijacking, I'd like to point out the many midget clubs, including Badger and ARDC, were Class B organizations which only allowed stock block/head engines to race. Badger stayed that way until they let Offys and then Sescos compete in the late 1970s. It was a big mistake then and clubs could learn something from it now. I appreciate that professional engine builders need to earn a living but when you can't build/fix your own motor the cost of any class of racing goes up quickly.
Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois
Kinda of like to older guys having a spirited conversation, "What was we talking about again anyhow"?

Honest Dad himself

12/22/12, 7:46 PM   #79
Roy Bleckert

Quote:
Originally Posted by backitin View Post
In todays world midget racing makes not much sense to me. With todays 1400cc jap engines, run Minisprints. Than for the guys who want to spend big bucks and go faster buy a mans car and move up to a 410 sprint. You can than leave the midgets for guys with more money than anything else.
Foresee a day when mini sprints are incorporated with current Midgets all running in One division/rules @ most tracks across the country , on the local to national level

Division splitting & 37+ classes of open wheel cars is hurting racing

Let's get back to running Sprint Cars & Midgets

1/14/13, 2:09 PM   #80
Roy Bleckert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy View Post
So what OEM motor would you try? Over the years our members have tried Saturns, Toyotas, BMWs, Subarus, and others. As I said, the modern OEM motor is severely undersquare for emission purposes. I've looked at all of them I can get data on and run them through my DeskTop Dyno. If there is a better 2.4 liter out there than the Honda or Ecotec it would surprise me.

Chuck Schultz
I would try a Opel CIH 95mm bore 85mm stroke 2.4 liter very over square you can use chevy valves & pistons & lots of racing parts available for it as it was raced overseas from the 60's to present
Last edited by Roy Bleckert; 1/14/13 at 2:51 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stanton Overhead Cam Mopar