IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > that updates
9/13/09, 4:25 AM   #71
Re: that updates
JasonWatt

Great night of racing that is for sure! I wish Mr Helfrich owned this track though! First thing I want to say is that LEVI should of never been able to continue on a flat tire. Not only did he put himself and all the other drivers at risk but he put many fans in the stands at risk as well (Infield also). The 2 laps he did make after the flat I was covering up my best friends children when he passed by because WE all knew it was a matter of time. I am not sure if he done it for the points but it was a terrible decision by him and USAC!!

Another thing, Mr Whitt deserves his @ss kicked for what he done to the "Demon"! On the backstretch he made it a point to ram the back of the #71 (when coming to take the green) then in turn 2 drives right up into him. I am not a big fan of the #71 machine but he had every right to be upset tonight!!

Definitely was Levi's night before the flat as he had the field covered, feel terrible for the Stockton's as I thought Chase drove his heart out tonight with nothing to show for it, Great battle with the eventual winner for several laps though!

The Hoffmans and Coons team should of benefited from the Levi fiasco but another BS move by USAC screwed them! Jon didn't have anything for Jerry or Levi tonight but did take home the win...

Congrats to Fox Bros. and Mr Stanbrough!

Good run by Mr Ballou in the new XXX chassis! Best of luck Robert you have made yourself several new fans from my area!
Last edited by JasonWatt; 9/13/09 at 4:27 AM.

9/13/09, 8:19 AM   #72
Jim Halpert

I had to laugh at the Levi fans dancing and drinking all feature long until the tire went down...then the cheers turned to tears that fell in their beers. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched next time folks! It's fine to cheer and everything...I do my fair share...but some of that obnoxiousness deserved what happened to them. I agree that USAC and Levi both made terrible decisions last night...they both put the other drivers and the fans in danger...poor job guys Congrats to Stanbrough, Whitt (even though the Gardner thing was totally his fault), and Dave who pulled a crappy night out of the fire with a fourth!!

Does anybody know who won the King of Terre Haute thing they had going? I assume it had to be Dave since Levi and Coons tanked, but I'm not sure.

What was with Cole Carter hitting everybody in sight in his heat? Never seen him drive like that before!

9/13/09, 8:42 AM   #73
Great Scott

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 63

As most have said there is no good reason at all to allow Levi or any other driver to pass the pace truck with a flat tire and then return to his position of leader. This created an unfair and unsafe situation.

At the very moment his tire blew coming down the front stretch shouldn't the yellow come out? There were guys coming down to the checkerd flag driving through parts of Levi's shredded tire that was laying all over the front stretch. That certainly good have been ugly.

Isn't Bill Carey calling the shots for USAC at the race track as the race director?

I left last night simply shaking my head trying to understand what had just happended.

It was great to see Jon get the win. Way to go #53!

9/13/09, 8:43 AM   #74
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
I had to laugh at the Levi fans dancing and drinking all feature long until the tire went down...then the cheers turned to tears that fell in their beers. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched next time folks! It's fine to cheer and everything...I do my fair share...but some of that obnoxiousness deserved what happened to them. I agree that USAC and Levi both made terrible decisions last night...they both put the other drivers and the fans in danger...poor job guys
Amen! And I totally agree that Levi deserves some blame here too. He knew his tire was flat, he knows what happens when you have a tire going flat....I'm sure it's tough to give up that spot when you are chasing points, but he could've seriously hurt himself, another driver, official or fan tonight. And even more disappointing, after the race, Levi fans were still saying that Levi should've won the race. WTH?

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWatt View Post
Another thing, Mr Whitt deserves his @ss kicked for what he done to the "Demon"! On the backstretch he made it a point to ram the back of the #71 (when coming to take the green) then in turn 2 drives right up into him. I am not a big fan of the #71 machine but he had every right to be upset tonight!!
Did not even see that but that explains why the Levi fan club (or at least a few of them) started yelling at me (who was wearing a Cole Whitt t-shirt) saying "Levi would never hit another driver!!" I considered the source and ignored them (also, I had no clue what they were talking about and certainly was not cheering what Cole did). I sat by the same Levi bunch who cheered when Tracy Hines flipped it at a previous THAT race this year...and they were all cheering when Levi's tire shredded and he drove around on the rim. Pot...kettle....
Last edited by wildman92; 9/13/09 at 9:08 AM.

9/13/09, 8:56 AM   #75
Theokayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
Does anybody know who won the King of Terre Haute thing they had going?
Coons won it.

9/13/09, 9:28 AM   #76
Jim Halpert

[/QUOTE]Did not even see that but that explains why the Levi fan club (or at least a few of them) started yelling at me (who was wearing a Cole Whitt t-shirt) saying "Levi would never hit another driver!!" I considered the source and ignored them (also, I had no clue what they were talking about and certainly was not cheering what Cole did). I sat by the same Levi bunch who cheered when Tracy Hines flipped it at a previous THAT race this year...and they were all cheering when Levi's tire shredded and he drove around on the rim. Pot...kettle....[/QUOTE]

I'm a big Cole Whitt fan as well, and I certainly don't condone what Cole did to the Demon, but it's not like it's a habit of his. I seem to remember Levi basically plowing his way by Stockon in the feature anyway...yeah he was faster, but I've seen cleaner passes. Everybody out there has there moments when they don't quite drive at their best, and Cole had one of those moments last night...don't let a bunch of drunken bitter groupies bother you. If you are right in the fact that they were cheering a flip then I seriously doubt their status as "fans" in the first place...that isn't called for at any time. I assume the Levi group thought it was some kind of heroic deed that Levi accomplished by finishing the race with 3 tires...when in all reality it was ignorant and dangerous. Those chunks of tire could have come into the stands or caused another car to wreck right on the frontstraight...anything could have happened!

1 member likes this post: burris7555
9/13/09, 10:07 AM   #77
Stagger

WOW, sounded like an interesting finish. People calling out USUC for incompetence? No way..... I get blasted for calling them out. Glad you all saw it first hand. It has been going on for a long time. There is no leader in that group. Just a bunch of buddies running a three ring circus.

1 member likes this post: mtek56
9/13/09, 10:11 AM   #78
SteveD

Enjoyed THAT racin'......... Get a bigger tow truck next time.........What about them O'possums ......Had fun, looking foward to next Fri/Sat 15K Double at Bloomington & Haubstadt (Sept 18 & 19) BthereorBsquare

9/13/09, 10:14 AM   #79
cowboyhar69

What happened at Terre Haute last night would have never happened when Rollie Beale or Norm Shields were in charge.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

9/13/09, 10:34 AM   #80
SpfldMile

The yellow was pretty lengthy, Levi could have come in and changed the tire instead of running around spinning the tires for five laps. As fast as he was he still might have won from the back. Still a fun night at Terre Haute. Hedrick hit the inside wall pretty hard on the back stretch, hope he is OK today. That is the first time sitting in the infield where I thought "Oh no, that car is going to end up in the infield". People were scattering. I was hiding behind a light pole. I'm not a USAC basher, in fact I still think they give the best bang for my buck that I can find. Honestly though, guys, last night was pure favoritism. That is not very professional. Congrats to Stanbrough on the win.

1 member likes this post: burris7555
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > that updates