IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #71 12/2/13 9:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bear10:
What makes you think that the rules meeting was a success?? Have you had any feedback from organizations yet?? I just don't see how you can have a national rules meeting and not a national organization and without everyone in the nation aware? And don't say they all knew because a main ambassador of the sport knew nothing about it! I'm all for rules but make rules that make sense?? You want stock motors but no BMW?? Not proven to be any better other than a great magazine stating it is supposively so much more power but yet that same magazine is probably trying to sell you a BMW bike! Which pertains nothing to our sport . Also your rules state no dry sump system which is totally stupid seems how your trying to make stock motor rules and saving money but yet your going to not allow someone to make an $1800 motor last by using a dry sump which would allow the motor to live and not have them blow 3 up a year and watch them spend twice the money they should be ! Ya that makes a lot of sense!!! Not stating all the rules I heard were bogus but make rules that make sense and that can be enforced!!!! Just remember a New York second will always be a fast one! And you can't make enough rules to make everyone happy, but you can make enough rules to turn people away!
Bear

Long time reader, first time poster?

We kinda of see things the same way. The national rules was another post. This one started out being Tulsa Shoot out rules, what do you think about them and kinda of evolved back to the national rule bit. I said the Tulsa rules sound pretty good to me.

The new Kawasaki zx10r motor will not work without a dry sump, it is just the way they designed the things. Apparently they did not have mini-sprints in mind when they designed the motor, and I think probably the same thing hold true for the BMW. All of you Kawasaki and BMW "worriers" had better watch out because selling motorcycles is catch up and I can guarantee you that Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda will follow suite.

Many times rules are drafted by well intended people with the best of intentions in mind and then things evolve and the rules end up having a very negative effect on what they were originally supposed to remedy.

I guess I have three questions.

1. Is there a mini-sprint racer anywhere in the US that could not go to the shoot out and race and feel pretty competitive?

2. Is there a mini sprint racer anywhere in the US that could not go and race with any other group in the country with but very little change to their race car?

3. Is there a mini sprint racer anywhere out there that could give me an occasion where they went to a race with a another group and were not allowed to compete because of a rule enforced by a certain group?

(We need to work on that 1200cc rule, >>You see we evolved))

Honest Dad himself
Bill May (Offline)
  #72 12/3/13 10:56 AM
Bear 10, long time reader?, did you not read Quantril's post dated 10-19-13?, it read "Central Region" meeting, this ambassador, of which you speak, is he in this region?
I suspect not.

I personally, was unable to attend, but, every 1,000 upright mini sprint/lighting sprint racing organization in the central region was invited. these are the people attempting to standardize, at least, some rules for "National" caliber events in the central region,

Sometime in the future, I suspect, engine rules will be expanded, in the meantime, existing rules govern. I don't expect any significant immediate changes, there is some feedback for you.

Bill May
openwheel44 (Offline)
  #73 12/3/13 3:19 PM
First.....Thank you Mr. May for your comments. Bear10.....No one is putting a gun to anyone's head telling them they need to abide by these rules. Local organizations can decide whatever they want. Use it, use part of it or don't use any of it. We all knew that up front. No doubt there will be a few "local organization options." Evidently 6 central regional associations felt it was time to set down and talk because they all showed up one way or the other and contributed. It was a collective brain storm of what "might" be best for this class for a "National caliber event" in the near future knowing that adjustments will need to be made as time passes. Everyone there agreed it was time to make an attempt to get this class under control cost and motor wise. It was also agreed that some basic/workable tech procedures need to be laid out.

And yes, at the meeting, we all agreed it was a very positive meeting and through emails and further correspondence, I have received nothing but positive feedback from those that attended. There may be some negativity elsewhere but I haven't heard it yet other than from the 2-3 individuals on this board. The one's that would probably find something to complain about if someone tried to them a million dollars. And yes there will be more discussions after each group has a chance to go over and discuss their likes and dislikes. Those people are not jumping to conclusions and going ballistic until all the facts and comments are in.

FYI........it is surprising on how many actual promoters are paying attention to this effort. It benefits them also if this class can figure out some way to grow. NONE of them have said anything we are doing is going the wrong way in their opinion.........not yet anyway.

There will always be Negative Nellies and Monday Morning Quarterbacks but you people need to set back, relax, chill out and see what happens after each of the representatives has taken this deal to their people to see it flies, has minor or major adjustments or simply gets sh*t canned. This whole thing might die on the vine so why don't you just wait and see? Me....I will go with the majority, not just the opinion of 2-3 people.

Yeah Dad..........we all know that we are kicking the can down the road with some of the issues but we all decided we have to start somewhere. You mention the new ZX10's will require dry sumps? I don't know that for a fact but if they do......guess what? I will try another motor that doesn't. Truthful, I haven't seen that many motors destroy themselves due to simple oiling issues. Too many RPM's is a bigger culprit. Modified motors straining lower ends not designed to take that added HP is another. Leave the friggin' things alone and quit trying to twist the guts out of them and they might last a couple of years. You know.....like they used to before the trend to modify and twist the piss out of them started. If a motor is inherently weak, let it weed itself out. Let it police it self. Quit trying to put it on life support. As far as the BMW..........I don't think anyone is particularly worried about it's HP because the jury is still out as to whether it is the HP King the tabloids say it is. It was price and availability issues. Same thing might applied to the new ZX-10's. I am sure the other manufacturers will try to follow suit.........IF either of these motors actually produce as advertised. Time will tell.