IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/8/08, 1:12 PM   #71
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
Mud Packer, absolutely a perfect assessment!:applaud:

Eric, actually this should read:

"When you are on your soapbox being all high and mighty, ripping USAC for making the right decision, try mixing some proper grammar."

Forgot two commas.

Sorry, had to do that!
Touche' :thumb

8/8/08, 1:18 PM   #72
sprintfan74

Over 90 people reading this post, can anyone answer my question? Did they still have races? Did the midgets run without USAC sanctioning? Did the sprint cars run? Any results if there were any races?

8/8/08, 1:20 PM   #73
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer9bro View Post
It seems that USAC did send out a very qualified representative to inspect this track prior to race date, the problem was this representative had already been told he would no longer have a job with USAC in the very near future so with that in mind it would seem quite possible that this USAC rep may and I use the word may strongly due to the passion this person has for the sport but he may have just pulled a big up yours to USAC and cleared the track as safe knowing full well it was not?
"It seems that USAC did send out a very qualified representative to inspect this track prior to race date, the problem was this representative had already been told he would no longer have a job with USAC in the very near future so with that in mind it would seem quite possible that this USAC rep may and I use the word may strongly due to the passion this person has for the sport but he may have just pulled a big up yours to USAC and cleared the track as safe knowing full well it was not?"
"As I stated in the post it is conceivable that he MAY have done this, and you missed my point entirely, what I was saying was IF he had done this it was knowing full well USAC would not run the show due to safety reasons and they would have to pull out on race day and look like a bunch of idiots in doing so. Looks to me like he played the card perfectly as you can see by this 7 page bash USAC thread".
You have got to be kidding me, first you accuse a person of "he May have done this" and then you say it 'looks like he played the card perfectly". AREN'T YOU CONTRIDICTING YOU'RE SELF?

8/8/08, 1:21 PM   #74
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintfan74 View Post
Over 90 people reading this post, can anyone answer my question? Did they still have races? Did the midgets run without USAC sanctioning? Did the sprint cars run? Any results if there were any races?

Yes, they did. This is what racin4fun posted on page 1 of this thread:

"...Sprint A main....Kent Christian wins followed by Hess and Shuman

Midget A main...Buckwalter wins followed by Ballou, Hess, Westfall and Christian in a team car to Ballou (Felker)..

www.stida.com <<<< check it out.......ALL DRIVERS SHOULD BE MEMBERS...GET ON BOARD..... CALL OR EMAIL ANY QUESTIONS"

Jerry

Winston Churchill

8/8/08, 1:22 PM   #75
1BIGracefan

Yes they ran both no sanction Steve B. from Penn won the Midgets and Kent Christian win in the sprints

8/8/08, 1:26 PM   #76
sprintfan74

Thanks for the info guys. I guess the post was just a little confusing. Thanks for your help! See you all tonight!:checkered:

8/8/08, 1:27 PM   #77
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer9bro View Post
It seems that USAC did send out a very qualified representative to inspect this track prior to race date, the problem was this representative had already been told he would no longer have a job with USAC in the very near future so with that in mind it would seem quite possible that this USAC rep may and I use the word may strongly due to the passion this person has for the sport but he may have just pulled a big up yours to USAC and cleared the track as safe knowing full well it was not?
THIS PERSON AND THEORY YOU HAVE IS ABSURD :loser:

IF TRUE THIS PERSON MIGHT STICK IT TO USAC BUT HE WOULDNT DO IT TO THE RACERS WHO HAPPEN TO ALSO BE HIS FRIENDS!!

8/8/08, 1:28 PM   #78
bigmojo5

By JIM MORRISON
Classic Motorsports
LIBERTY, Ind. -- Steve Buckwalter of Royersford, Pa., won the 30--lap midget feature at Union County Speedway near here on Thursday night. Kent Christian of Clayton, Ind., won the 25-lap sprint feature.
Though Buckwalter led all 30 laps, the race for second was hard fought as Robert Ballou, Mike Hess and Matt Westfall battled for the position. Hess claimed second, Ballou third, Westfall fourth and Christian fifth after starting 12th
Jeff Bland Jr., was cruising to victory in the sprint feature when he banged wheels with a car he was attempting to lap on the 10th circuit and spun to a stop. Hess inherited the top spot, but Christian was moving up from his seventh place starting position until he passed Hess exiting the second turn on the 20th lap to claim the victory.
Bland charged back through the field to claim third from Shuman late in the race.
The midget portion of the program was originally scheduled as the second round of of USAC Indiana Midget Week, but safety concerns with the race track prompted the club to not sanction the event. Many teams opted to leave the race track without turning a lap.
Race promoter Tony Barhorst proceeded with the racing, paying the midget drivers the same prize money as if it were a USAC points paying event of Indiana Midget Week. Fourteen midgets remained in the pits to compete and 14 started the feature.
Results:
Sprints
First heat: 1. Jeff Bland Jr., 2. Mike Hess, 3. Blake Fitzpatrick, 4. Kent Christian, 5. Matt Westfall, 6. Cameran McGahan, 7. Travis Hery.
Second heat: 1. Sammy Imel, 2. Casey Shuman, 3. Joss Moffatt, 4. Brandon Whitted, 5. Tony Main, 6. Caleb Armstrong, 7. Jim Gardner.
Feature: 1. Christian, 2. Hess. 3. Bland, 4. Shuman, 5. Armstrong, 6. Westfall, 7. Whitted, 8. Gardner, 9. Main, 10. Fitzpatrick, 11. Imel, 12. Moffatt, 13. McGahan.
Midgets
First heat: 1. Robert Ballou, 2. Steve Buckwalter, 3. Dakoda Armstrong, 4. Casey Shuman. Did not start; Matt Westfrall, Ryan Criswell, Levi Jones.
Second heat: 1. Thomas Meseraull, 2. Kellen Conover, 3. Mike Hess, 4. Rex Norris III, 5. Kent Schmidt, 6. Kent Christian, 7. James Sweeney.
Feature: 1. Buckwalter, 2. Hess, 3. Ballou, 4. Westfall, 5. Christian, 6. Armstrong, 7. Schmidt, 8. Norris, 9. Sweeny, 10. Dustin Morgan, 11. Shuman, 12. Meseraull, 13. Conover.

Travis Hery flipped during the first sprint heat. Kellen Conover flipped during the midget feature.

8/8/08, 1:30 PM   #79
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I almost forgot, but two more things about this "debacle". As someone previously stated, it would have been nice if USAC would have made the announcement, or been standing there as fans walked out to explain. Instead, it seems that they made the (right) call, but ran from it. They were never visible, or never explained what was going on. We all could see that haulers and some fans were leaving, but USAC was "MIA".

Honestly, I think the "COPS" were a good idea and expected it. If all hell would have broke loose, then we'd be asking "Why didn't they have cops there?". They planned for the worst, but luckily, it didn't get that bad.

:checkered:

And ultimately thats what Im upset about. If a driver or team felt unsafe. So Be it. I'll agree, Right call.

USAC and its people turn tail and ran instead of standing at the exit. Shaking peoples hand, Saying Were sorry, Please come back, I apreciate you coming.

No announcement, Nothing! to me thats a F U to everyone who pays your bills, purses ect. I choose to take a vote to visit another USAC Show, My Vote is NO!

As for the cops, I agree, they were needed. I felt perfectly safe thanks for the meet and greet

8/8/08, 1:33 PM   #80
hacksaw

Hats off to Casey Shuman and the rest who stayed and raced. I enjoyed the program for both sprints and midgets. USAC should be ashamed the way it was all handled.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week