IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TERRE HAUTE ACTION TRACK Tuesday June 19th
6/20/12, 7:52 AM   #61
Re: TERRE HAUTE ACTION TRACK Tuesday June 19th
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

wow just think if it wasnt nascar we would have only had 12 cars....im sure the TSR cars wouldnt have been there....just saying....ALL IN ALL GOOD SHOW

6/20/12, 9:20 AM   #62
Rpracing1

Another night at the old ball park. Congrats goes out to Levi and Stanbrough on good runs. Good racing all night. Sometimes, racing is better when you don't have lapped cars to deal with. I'll take 14 cars of that quality on a Tuesday night any time. Hey, we were at the racetrack, doesn't get any better than that.
Got to see Stewart strap in to a non-wing car, which was a pleasant surprise. Only Smoke. He has not missed too many beats for being out of that seat for so long.
Big crowd for a Tuesday evening. Track crew nailer it last night. Yes , it can be done, even on a big ole half mile.
Thought I would see Cummins and Hendricks??? Braylon looked impressive in his heat after being scolded by Mo Will. Think Ballous tires went away on the last restart. Almost put Damien into the turn 2 fence.
Modifieds a pretty good show at THAT. Allgaier has fast car. His and Stewarts mods harness stout horses. Hey, what to complain about, was home at 11pm cst on a delightful weekday evening.

3 members like this post: bowbuild, buck2, Mud Packer
6/20/12, 10:41 AM   #63
illinisprintfan

I enjoyed the race, but do have one complaint that I have already sent to Jennifer Cook of the Fair board and Track Enterprises. It is regarding people up against the catch fence during the races. There were numerous people, both kids and adults right next to the fence when the cars were at speed the ENTIRE night. Only once, at the beginning of the sprint feature did someone, a sheriff I think, move people from the catch fence. I was at the race a few years ago at THAT when Travis Rutz was injured and two cars took out part of the catch fence in front of the grandstands. If that would have happened last night, someone would have been injured or worse. They need to either install a small fence to keep people back away from catch fence, or have a track staff member or sheriff for the entire night keeping people away from the fence. Just about every track I have been to has this problem, but last night was the worst I have seen.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
6/20/12, 10:48 AM   #64
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
I enjoyed the race, but do have one complaint that I have already sent to Jennifer Cook of the Fair board and Track Enterprises. It is regarding people up against the catch fence during the races. There were numerous people, both kids and adults right next to the fence when the cars were at speed the ENTIRE night. Only once, at the beginning of the sprint feature did someone, a sheriff I think, move people from the catch fence. I was at the race a few years ago at THAT when Travis Rutz was injured and two cars took out part of the catch fence in front of the grandstands. If that would have happened last night, someone would have been injured or worse. They need to either install a small fence to keep people back away from catch fence, or have a track staff member or sheriff for the entire night keeping people away from the fence. Just about every track I have been to has this problem, but last night was the worst I have seen.
I saw this as well and with the cars coming out of turn four onto the main straight away, it is really a dangerous place to be. For the kids my question is WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS? For the adults, apparently common sense isn't so common.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3 members like this post: K9Racer, Pat O'Connor Fan, ronmil
6/20/12, 11:23 AM   #65
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I saw this as well and with the cars coming out of turn four onto the main straight away, it is really a dangerous place to be. For the kids my question is WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS? For the adults, apparently common sense isn't so common.
The one moron I noticed had his IPhone stuck thru the fence apparently videotaping the car coming directly at him down the front straight a way. They did announce one time over the pa system for people to get back from the fence. All it takes is one time.

2 members like this post: Mud Packer, Pat O'Connor Fan
6/20/12, 12:35 PM   #66
bmemmer

in reply to cummins not being there. He has motor issues that they are working on

6/20/12, 1:10 PM   #67
mud goodsleeve

Race Count This Year: 09

We decided to close up shop and make the drive over from Cincinnati for the day, the whole time thinking "We should be working what are we doing" we hit indy around 130 haha so we stopped for some smokes and to fuel up. as soon as we hit 70 I said "pull off here" and we played the turn right here, turn left here game since we had hours to kill. The back roads of Indiana are beautiful. We found ourselves on a gravel road for miles and miles in search of "the dam dam" that Tyler was hell bent on seeing. It was nice to get off the highway and get lost for a while. Fast forward. Arriving at the Haute gives me chills, you can feel the history from the road, walking into the stands seeing the lettiering painted on the tower in the infield. Its awesome. I looked at the track "ehhh" I said "we'll see what happens. Hot laps begin and end for the batch of sprinters. "where are the rest?" "we drove all this way for 14 friggin cars!" now im a little upset. We venture to the infield to watch the heats and grab some corndogs. Im still a bit let down at the car count. Back to the bleachers for the feature. Cars push off and the lights are out. Now I could care less if there were 5 cars on the track. Just watching Levi and Jon battle it out, Jon inching closer and closer. And the wheel banging match between Damian and Ballou made the entire trip worth it! I will deff make the trip again and as many times as I can. Another great night of racing at The Action Track! Hats off to all the Drivers, Crew, and Track/ Safety Crew you all put on one Heck of a show.

4 members like this post: bowbuild, buck2, Pat O'Connor Fan
6/20/12, 1:35 PM   #68
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

In spite of the low sprint car count, it was an enjoyable evening. I thought there would be a late surge of spectators as people got off work, but it didn't materialize to any great degree, still it was a good sized crowd.
Apparently the people who man the gates are volunteers, as I asked a deputy about unlocking the gate near Section F when I took a break after the sprint feature. He responded that they are short on volunteers, but he did unlock the gate.
As far as the on track action went, it was very enjoyable. Richie Lex is a real pleasure to watch; he advances without beating and banging.
The modified that hit the wall in the first turn, I believe the number was 77, provided some concern. A seriously hard impact and the ambulance crew didn't respond immediately; spectators to my right were yelling at them. Guess that drew their attention. Tri-State Speedway has to be the gold standard when it comes to responding to on track mishaps. Every promoter should attend an event there just to see how that part of the operation is handled.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, sprintgal
6/20/12, 2:37 PM   #69
terrehautian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
In spite of the low sprint car count, it was an enjoyable evening. I thought there would be a late surge of spectators as people got off work, but it didn't materialize to any great degree, still it was a good sized crowd.
Apparently the people who man the gates are volunteers, as I asked a deputy about unlocking the gate near Section F when I took a break after the sprint feature. He responded that they are short on volunteers, but he did unlock the gate.
As far as the on track action went, it was very enjoyable. Richie Lex is a real pleasure to watch; he advances without beating and banging.
The modified that hit the wall in the first turn, I believe the number was 77, provided some concern. A seriously hard impact and the ambulance crew didn't respond immediately; spectators to my right were yelling at them. Guess that drew their attention. Tri-State Speedway has to be the gold standard when it comes to responding to on track mishaps. Every promoter should attend an event there just to see how that part of the operation is handled.
Cant' speak for current promoter, but under King, they were all volunteers and then a donation was made for them being there (gets around paying taxes on payroll and is a donation for taxes). Was the same way for the people who pick up the trash after the race or the day after.

6/20/12, 3:22 PM   #70
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
A seriously hard impact and the ambulance crew didn't respond immediately; spectators to my right were yelling at them. Guess that drew their attention. Tri-State Speedway has to be the gold standard when it comes to responding to on track mishaps. Every promoter should attend an event there just to see how that part of the operation is handled.
It is not my intent to start WWIII over this issue Ron, but I'm sure you realize there is a huge difference between a track where you can stand in the middle of the infield and throw a rock up against any wall (if you have a good arm) and a big half mile like THAT. At TSS you can directly access the track anywhere from the infield. Not so at THAT. The sheer size of the track and it's configuration add other logistical problems. I know you're proud of your hometown track and you should be, but it is not the "gold standard" for everything in racing. One would assume the capable THAT promotors/operators will have an after action review of last night's event to see what went well and what went not so well. Like you, I hope to see improvements in the safety operation. I don't believe relying on yelling and pointing from the spectators is the answer. Oh, and I also thought it was a pretty good show despite the low sprint car count and the effect the hot weather had on the track surface.

5 members like this post: LittleRube, mowerman, Pat O'Connor Fan, racefan20, SHORTBUS
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TERRE HAUTE ACTION TRACK Tuesday June 19th