IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
11/26/07, 5:07 PM   #61
Re: Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
Heromaker

Not only was there some great racing from 3rd-8th it was as clean as I have ever seen. Not one touch in 60+ laps. (probably because the Swindells wern't there) but I digress.

I wish it was on dirt not only because I like history (which I do) but because of cost. At the tracks being talked about tires would be a lot cheaper (especially as a USAC race with a spec tire) and the ever changing dirt.

Dirt is the great equalizer!!!! Track changes fast therefore making car set up even more of a guess, Dirt track conditions, when the slick off, take motors out of the equation, and lastly tires don't go off after one or two heat cycles.

With that said I enjoyed the feature, even though it was good enough to make it stay there a few more years, but I too wish it would go back to dirt!!! $$$$$$$$$

11/26/07, 5:34 PM   #62
CA Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish View Post
Buckley obviously knew that his blog post was going to be read, debated and discussed when he wrote it, just as myself and every other poster on this site knows their posts will be. So, I am not surprised in the least that people have stepped forward to disagree or agree with my statements about Turkey Night and Tim Clauson.

I guess the reason I agreed so whole-heartedly with Buckley and added my own two cents was because I am sick of the current state of sprint car and midget racing. I am sick of NASCAR money in the sport. I am sick of rich kids with rich fathers using the dirt as a mere stepping stone. I am sick of watching 15-year-old boys and girls drive machines that have been killing grown men for over 50 years. I am sick of the sprint car pit area looking like a summer camp/fashion show/trend contest. I am sick of people who know very little about the culture act like they're grizzled veterans.

Why do I keep watching, even though all this pisses me off so much? Because, like most of you, I am addicted and have been since birth. And Mills is right -- this board is like an alternate universe sometimes, but we know that when we log on. Rest assured, though, what I've just typed is nothing I'd be afraid to put into words, to anyone. That's how strongly I feel about it and how sick of it all I am.
Are you saying that 15 year old boys & girls have been killing grown men for over 50 years???

11/26/07, 5:49 PM   #63
CA Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
I'm lucky if I can afford 1 or 2 weekend trips to Indiana every year. I wish it could be more, but I don't understand why I'm supposed to be jealous of those who can. Am I missing out by not being bitter? To those with more money than me: whether in the pits or in the stands, thanks for spending your cash on a sport I love.
Now that's a cool post:applaud:

11/26/07, 7:02 PM   #64
rt9906

Quote:
Buckley obviously knew that his blog post was going to be read, debated and discussed when he wrote it, just as myself and every other poster on this site knows their posts will be. So, I am not surprised in the least that people have stepped forward to disagree or agree with my statements about Turkey Night and Tim Clauson.

I guess the reason I agreed so whole-heartedly with Buckley and added my own two cents was because I am sick of the current state of sprint car and midget racing. I am sick of NASCAR money in the sport. I am sick of rich kids with rich fathers using the dirt as a mere stepping stone. I am sick of watching 15-year-old boys and girls drive machines that have been killing grown men for over 50 years. I am sick of the sprint car pit area looking like a summer camp/fashion show/trend contest. I am sick of people who know very little about the culture act like they're grizzled veterans.

Why do I keep watching, even though all this pisses me off so much? Because, like most of you, I am addicted and have been since birth. And Mills is right -- this board is like an alternate universe sometimes, but we know that when we log on. Rest assured, though, what I've just typed is nothing I'd be afraid to put into words, to anyone. That's how strongly I feel about it and how sick of it all I am.
Gee - sounds like you just dont like racing anymore - you and quite a few others... Whats wrong with "NASCAR" money in the sport? Whats wrong with using NASCAR drivers to support the sport? Not many ACTIVE IRL or CART drivers will anymore. You arent naive enough to believe that this is new? In the 70's Mario Andretti and Parnelli Jones, Aj Foyt and the likes were used to promote premier USAC events. Would you rather have no big-dollar drivers intersted? Where would that leave the sport? If thats what it takes to pack the stands - so be it. It will be the same at the PRI show; though I guess if you bathe regularly and wear clean clothes you have not earned the right to be a fan??? 15 year olds driving machines that have killed adults for 50 years? You must mean Kenyon or Focus "Sportsman" midgets??? You must be at least 16 to drive a Focus or national midget in USAC - and 18 for anything over half a mile - and as far as these 16, 17 18 year olds go - most of them have been racing since they were 5 or 6 years old.... how many stars from the "heyday" had 10 or 11 years of experience by the time they were 16? And before you degradate kart racing in the US - did YOU ever go 66MPH at 11 years old in a pack of 20??? A TRUE racefan would embrace anything that helps the growth of the sport and allows an avenue for it to be passed on - you should be estatic that youth is reflected in the sport.....

11/26/07, 7:43 PM   #65
NJDMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heromaker View Post
Not only was there some great racing from 3rd-8th it was as clean as I have ever seen. Not one touch in 60+ laps. (probably because the Swindells wern't there) but I digress.

I wish it was on dirt not only because I like history (which I do) but because of cost. At the tracks being talked about tires would be a lot cheaper (especially as a USAC race with a spec tire) and the ever changing dirt.

Dirt is the great equalizer!!!! Track changes fast therefore making car set up even more of a guess, Dirt track conditions, when the slick off, take motors out of the equation, and lastly tires don't go off after one or two heat cycles.

With that said I enjoyed the feature, even though it was good enough to make it stay there a few more years, but I too wish it would go back to dirt!!! $$$$$$$$$
If Turkey Night was on dirt, you couldn't run Olson's RR tire in the feature, you cheater.

11/26/07, 9:04 PM   #66
Joe Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snyder View Post
Kirk

I thought he would have responded by now. I'm a bit puzzled...

DFish is probably hard at work putting together a deal to run a street stock at Gas City. He see's everyone else putting together deals, he didn't want to feel left out.

Hopefully with his newly acquired ride, he now wont be jealous of everybody around him that is getting to do what he always wanted.

Quote:
Actually Joe, what I've always wanted to do is be a complete douchebag like you. No matter how hard I've tried though, I just can't reach your level!

LOL

Looks like we have someone here who can dish it out but cannot take it.

You basically call out Tim Clauson and Kirk Spridgeon speaking in ways about them that makes it clear you have no understanding of what they are about.

So, in turn, I give it right back to you, saying things that I have absoloutely no clue about.....just to see if you can handle the exact same crap that you dish out.

You answered my question, you cant.

PS-Thanks for the PM, it was GREAT. You asked who am I? Isnt my name on my posts?

11/27/07, 11:31 AM   #67
Heromaker

What do you know you are a TQ official!!!!

It is only cheating if you get caught!!!!!

11/27/07, 2:33 PM   #68
dfish

I should have known better than to lower myself and get involved in this, or any conversation on here.

I never said a word about being jealous of money. Never said a word about 15-year-olds killing grown men. Never said a word about karting.

My point is, I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard these two sentences: "It's just not the way it used to be. It's no fun anymore." That's where my anger comes from. I look back and have extremely fond memories of things, and what I see now bears little resemblance to those memories. That's what I don't like. I guess I just tend to put a lot more stock in old, accomplished faces. The fact that a lot of the posters -- and people I've angered -- on here are newer faces makes it quite unsurprising that my opinons aren't popular.

Things are always changing, and sprint car racing is not immune. But sprint car racing is something that I hold very dear, and I just don't like the changes I've seen.

I'm done.

11/27/07, 3:10 PM   #69
ossuks

I watch this board daily and a couple of thing stand out.
1 I see less and less posts from people like Kirk and Tim. Kirk being my favorite poster to tussle with because he was also one of the posters that seemed to have an IQ higher that "Pooks" car #. I also miss Tim's post each Monday. I wonder if they are just tired of the endless ********?

2 The number of posts, and the number of viewers seems to be on a gradual decline! I wonder if they are just tired of the endless ********?

11/27/07, 4:14 PM   #70
Rex W.

I wonder why Mr. Happy wont post here anymore.......hummmmmmm

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter