IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
KRJoyce1 (Offline)
  #61 1/25/08 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Bluteam:
Ken - can you elaborate on this a little further. My son uses the HANS - with a neck collar. He's very small, so everything fits fine with no discomfort. But, against the wishes of our belt manufacturer, I insist on a sternum strap. Reason being, I'm afraid of the belts slipping off the HANS.

As I said - he's small. 115 pounds soaking wet. We have the shoulder belts mounted on the frame in such a fashion to keep them from spreading out. Your concern echos the belt manufacturer, yet I have a difficult time understanding how a properly tightened lap belt and sub strap would allow a submarining affect. If a shoulder belt were to break, allowing the sternum strap to create the clothes line effect, than I would think serious consequences are in order anyway.

Not trying to be difficult. Just a concerned parent wanting to learn more and understand all of it so I know I've done everything possible short of telling him no to his dreams.

Thanks,
Ted Hartman
Ted,
I was going to send a pm, but this info is good to all.
When I said the body slides forward, I should have said upper body/ shoulders chest. Yes, Sub belts and lap belts do what they are required to do to limit forward movement. But, belt stretch, and body distortion do lead to some lower body forward movement. It's amazing though how far the upper body moves forward during a hit. (I have personally tightened the belts as tight as humanly possible on a crash dummy, and then see the dummy
Bluteam (Offline)
  #62 1/25/08 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=KRJoyce1;26541]Ted,
I was going to send a pm, but this info is good to all.
When I said the body slides forward, I should have said upper body/ shoulders chest. Yes, Sub belts and lap belts do what they are required to do to limit forward movement. But, belt stretch, and body distortion do lead to some lower body forward movement. It's amazing though how far the upper body moves forward during a hit. (I have personally tightened the belts as tight as humanly possible on a crash dummy, and then see the dummy
Joe Snyder (Offline)
  #63 1/25/08 12:04 AM
Its obvious many people disagree over the HANS.

One thing I never hear disagreement about is the benefits of the full containment seat.

Can anyone tell me why the full containment seat hasnt been made mandatory whether it be USAC or local?

I truly would like to know.

THANKS
RacinJason (Offline)
  #64 1/25/08 12:07 AM
I can tell you this much. After racing at Angell Park Speedway with a guardrail it feels really funny racing somewhere without it.

NJDMONEY
  #65 1/25/08 12:09 AM
Wearing the neck collar with the HANS defeats the purpose of the HANS and, obviously, could be very dangerous in the right accident.

Originally Posted by Joe Snyder:
Its obvious many people disagree over the HANS.

One thing I never hear disagreement about is the benefits of the full containment seat.

Can anyone tell me why the full containment seat hasnt been made mandatory whether it be USAC or local?

I truly would like to know.

THANKS
Most likely because there's no test data from seats, therefore it would be hard to determine where you draw the line on what seats you allow and don't. While NASCAR has mandated a head and neck device, they, too, have not mandated full-containment seats.

There's also the issue of how a full containment seat is defined. Rib supports, no rib supports; shoulder supports and inside rib supports or just shoulder supports, there's too many options for it.

USAC maybe moving towards that as they've published a list of four seats approved by USAC as "structural containment seats", which do not require the use of cage nets
Bluteam (Offline)
  #66 1/25/08 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by NJDMONEY:
Wearing the neck collar with the HANS defeats the purpose of the HANS and, obviously, could be very dangerous in the right accident.

Can you explain this? I can't see how the HANS or safety would be affected.

Driver likes the protection to the throat from rocks. Feels naked without a neck collar.

As stated before - just wanting to learn.

Ted
NJDMONEY
  #67 1/25/08 4:08 AM
Originally Posted by Bluteam:
Can you explain this? I can't see how the HANS or safety would be affected.

Driver likes the protection to the throat from rocks. Feels naked without a neck collar.

As stated before - just wanting to learn.

Ted
You said everything fit perfectly, explain to me how it does. I still can't picture someone wearing a HANS and a neck collar at the same time. I know other drivers have tried it before but I still can't see it.

The concept is the neck collar still allows the neck to snap around and it also creates "space" to prevent the HANS from limiting the movement of the neck which means the driver takes the brunt of the head snapping around. This all goes against what a HANS is designed to do: limiting head movement in all directions.

As far as the rocks thing, run a rock guard and mesh cage nets, I guess. That'll keep most of the rocks out anyway
sprintcar64 (Offline)
  #68 1/25/08 4:40 AM
Originally Posted by NJDMONEY:
You said everything fit perfectly, explain to me how it does. I still can't picture someone wearing a HANS and a neck collar at the same time. I know other drivers have tried it before but I still can't see it.

The concept is the neck collar still allows the neck to snap around and it also creates "space" to prevent the HANS from limiting the movement of the neck which means the driver takes the brunt of the head snapping around. This all goes against what a HANS is designed to do: limiting head movement in all directions.

As far as the rocks thing, run a rock guard and mesh cage nets, I guess. That'll keep most of the rocks out anyway
I was noticing one thing about all of the replies to this thread and seemed to me everybody was giving their opinions instead of facts. Here are some facts taken straight form HANS website.http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/sc.5/category.22/.f

I can touch my chin to my chest with the device on. Is this a problem?

No. The HANS
Dano959
  #69 1/25/08 2:47 PM
Originally Posted by sprintcar64:
There is nothing out there that has been tested for side to side head movement of which you would sustain in a barrel roll.
This is not entirely true. There is nothing out there that meets SFI 38.1 requirements that has been tested for side to side head movement.
wobbler (Offline)
  #70 1/25/08 7:01 PM
Originally Posted by sprintcar64:

From everything I have read about the HANS and every other head and neck restraint device while researching which one I should use, is that they were designed to keep the head and neck restrained in a frontal inpmact. There is nothing out there that has been tested for side to side head movement of which you would sustain in a barrel roll. The only thing that would restrict, but not restrain, this movement is a horse collar.

The biggest safety improvement for open wheel IMO is the full containment seat. This seat will actually restrain your body from violently moving side to side in a violent flip. I only have to look as far as my brother Danny Williams Jr. to attest for this as think it was a miracle he didn't get hurt at L'Burg when he went into the stands, and yes he did have a HANS also.
Originally Posted by Dano959:
This is not entirely true. There is nothing out there that meets SFI 38.1 requirements that has been tested for side to side head movement.
I suggest you look at the Leatt Brace , it exceeds the SFI rating for Had and Neck restraints and offers protection for the head and neck in all directions!
They have models that were initially designed for use while riding motor cycles!