IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could ISW happen without USAC?
7/16/13, 8:16 AM   #51
Re: Could ISW happen without USAC?
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

The powers that be changed Indiana high school basketball playoffs to make it better also, and ruined a good thing. Let's not start getting wild ideas on how to change ISW's and get the same results. Alot of good ideas (and even more bad ideas) on here about running ISW's, but with SRO crowds and 50+ fire-breathing sprint cars in the house, what could be better? I THANK GOD for living in Indiana and an hour away from about 6 different tracks, for a race fan or for race teams and drivers, there's no place better to be, jmho, bob.
p.s. my apologies for the use of the word "GOD", please insert the name of your entity there.

7/16/13, 9:01 AM   #52
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
Brent Goodnight, do you not remember the days when Gaunt, Griffen, Cline , Sheridan & Wilson amongst others used to make the trek East from Cali? I think that is the point SHAMROCK48 is trying to make here. It is not the quantity of cars that he is talking about!!!! Been involved in racing since you were in diapers & i gotta agree with the Rock on this one. USAC is an antiquated monoply
Check out the car counts out west now. The last 3 races at Perris (the home track) drew 29, 28, and 23 cars. The car count at Yuma, Ariz was 18, Santa Maria, Calif. 18 and Tulare, Calif. 17. If they don't travel to these races then there is no way they are coming all the way to Indiana for sprint week. There's a reason guys don't travel as much...it's called MONEY and EXPENSE. I know first hand what it cost to travel that far for a couple of weeks. I'm going back to 2004 and it was OVER $15,000!!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

7/16/13, 9:35 AM   #53
racen857

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
An good topic this is.

It would be interesting to see the $$$ breakdown as for what a track has to pay out for a USAC show, how much sponsor $$$ USAC brings with them, how much sponsor $$$ the track has to come up with, etc. On one hand the tracks would not have to pay USAC anything to appear. On the other hand, putting it all together would be a bear of a job.

Pennsylvania Sprint Week runs their sprint week every year w/o a sanctioning body, if I am correct. It would be interesting to see how their system of $$$ works. It seems like a successful platform for them.
PA. speedweek pays no less than $5000. to win every race plus 1 $7000.00 and 1 $10,000.00 to win. Thats what brings all the cars. Lots of cars= lots of fans. And thats why it is very successful platform with out a sanctioning body. Also all tracks involved work with each other for the week so no one runs against each other during the week.

http://paspeedweeks.com/ tracks and payouts.

Not sure what Indiana sprint week pays but I'm pretty sure that none of the races pays that much to win. And they are running the same cars minus 2 wings!

On the other hand I was out in Indiana for the first 3 races of ISW and only because of USAC's Eastern storm coming to PA the last 2 years. And I know of a few guys from section A at "The Burg" that now want to come to PA for the Eastern storm. So USAC brings cars and people to ISW. And in the future will bring fans and cars to PA.

3 members like this post: Danny Burton, FishBurger, OTSNWR
7/16/13, 9:39 AM   #54
racen857

I correct myself,....

http://www.usacracing.com/assets/fil...SprintWeek.pdf

Although this seems like a scam.
* Non Member Car Owners deductions (-$100.00 for all Feature positions).
Last edited by racen857; 7/16/13 at 10:24 AM.

7/16/13, 10:42 AM   #55
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post
The powers that be changed Indiana high school basketball playoffs to make it better also, and ruined a good thing. Let's not start getting wild ideas on how to change ISW's and get the same results. Alot of good ideas (and even more bad ideas) on here about running ISW's, but with SRO crowds and 50+ fire-breathing sprint cars in the house, what could be better?
I second your motion, Prez!

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

7/16/13, 12:05 PM   #56
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

From my point of view, no matter what sanctioning body is running the show, if you put 7 non-wing sprint races together like sprint week in Indiana I AM going to take vacation and be there. I love this time of year! A great occasion to meet up with old and new friends and enjoy a common interest of sprint car racing!

I'm not exactly a fan of the USAC format but, I wouldn't miss it as long as i'm able to be there..

No matter who is the sanctioning body, Non-wing sprint car racing is by far some of the best racing to watch as well as one of the best values for the $.

7/16/13, 12:32 PM   #57
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest-Sam View Post

QUALIFYING: 1. Tracy Hines, 4, Hines-21.120; 2. Kevin Thomas, Jr., 17RW, Dutcher/RW/TriStar-21.212; 3. Daron Clayton, 92, Clayton-21.225; 4. Chase Stockon, 32, 32/TBI-21.406; 5. Dave Darland, 71P, Phillips-21.504; 6. Bryan Clauson, 20, Stewart/Curb-Agajanian-21.600; 7. Levi Jones, 39, Walker-21.663; 8. Robert Ballou, 5, Baldwin-21.715; 9. Shane Cottle, 65, Franckowiak-21.905; 10. Hunter Schuerenberg, 35, Byram-21.962; 11. Nick Drake, 55, Cline-21.973; 12. Chris Windom, 11, Walker-22.006; 13. Brady Bacon, 69, Dynamics-22.008; 14. Landon Simon, 41, Stensland-22.279; 15. Joey Biasi, B1, Biasi-22.642; 16. Kyle Moody, 99M, Moody-22.701; 17. Trevor Utt, U2, Utt-22.909; 18. Tyler Courtney, 23c, Courtney/Anderson-22.966; 19. Mark Bitner, 15, Bitner-23.149; 20. Billy Pauch, Jr., 175, Pietrofitta-23.233; 21. Tim Glatfelter, 50, Strausbaugh-23.238; 22. Dalten Gabbard, 77, Gabbard-23.272; 23. J.R. Berry, 74, Berry-23.924; 24. Mark Smith, 1M, Smith-NT; 25. Denny Gross, 2, Gross-NT; 26. Curt Stroup, 33, Ehrenzeller-NT.

Posted via Mobile Device
Minus the PA guys that would be a huge hit to any promoter. The sprintweek show has been the only money maker some tracks have had this year.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, duel, FishBurger
7/16/13, 12:49 PM   #58
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
Brent Goodnight, do you not remember the days when Gaunt, Griffen, Cline , Sheridan & Wilson amongst others used to make the trek East from Cali? I think that is the point SHAMROCK48 is trying to make here. It is not the quantity of cars that he is talking about!!!! Been involved in racing since you were in diapers & i gotta agree with the Rock on this one. USAC is an antiquated monoply
Yes I do. In fact I worked at Kokomo during that time. I also noticed none of those guys still race. Troy Cline is still involved with Nick Drake and they have been at every race during Sprintweek. Since you have been around since I was in diapers surely you remember the pre USAC Sprintweek. I don't remember having any trouble getting a seat, and I don't remember the pits being crowded. In fact I I don't remember many campers or out of state plates. I think it is fine the way it is.

7/16/13, 1:43 PM   #59
racen857

[QUOTE=racen857;342431]PA. speedweek pays no less than $5000. to win every race plus 1 $7000.00 and 1 $10,000.00 to win. Thats what brings all the cars. Lots of cars= lots of fans. And thats why it is very successful platform with out a sanctioning body. Also all tracks involved work with each other for the week so no one runs against each other during the week. [QUOTE]

Also as a side note,... All cars get to run a heat race, B main or what ever is needed. That way a car goes out last for time trials when the track has slowed down 2 seconds still gets to race everyone else at the slower speeds. I have seen many guys come from the last spot (12-13) of a heat race and make the show. Or even most times they would run 5 heats if there are 50 cars, 10 in each heat. take 4 from each heat then 4 from the B main.
Last edited by racen857; 7/16/13 at 1:45 PM.

7/16/13, 3:03 PM   #60
Charles Nungester

Race Count Last Year: 14

Theres been guys come from the NQ's to the heats and make the show without having to go to the B.

about 12 cars going on the trailer after they got TWO shots to make it. Half of those knew they had little chance to begin with but were racing to be part of it and to judge for themselves, How far they had to go!

Not trying to insult the guys not transferring from the NQ's but they get the same as every other non Transfer from the B's. In a way it actually saves them money. $100 and they can watch the feature like the rest of us. Although Im sure they'd want to be in it.

The format was in print before anyone every came to a track, makes no sense to pitch a hissy fit about it.

Could USAC make some changes? Id be ok with the five heat, transfer three, C&B mains. Isn't going to take any more time than two NQ's.

The fact is, Someone would find a reason to complain about that.

3 members like this post: fish, Indy1808, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could ISW happen without USAC?