IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pavement Sprints @ Anderson
4/3/11, 7:00 PM   #51
Re: Pavement Sprints @ Anderson
nonwing

I thought all of the races were good. The sprint feature was a very good race with Santos, Swanson and East running high and low while trying to get through traffic. I know that Santos led every lap, but he earned it. He did a great job keeping it in front of the pack.

I went to watch Shane Hollingsworth race for Gene Nolen. They had a short wheel base car that was once a black number 7, which was driven by Kenny Irwin Jr. The car was loose all day but the V6 sounded strong. They have some work to do, but I'm sure the boys will get it figured out.

I video taped the races, but the wind was so strong that it really made it tough to stay smooth. Many of you probably know, but I do video for a living and decided to go to Anderson to watch Shane and shoot some video. I have a Sony Z1U, which is an HD 16:9 camera that I use mostly for marketing and training videos. I work mostly with large manufacturing corporations. Today was a fun challenge shooting the races from the turn one grandstand. Many moons ago I shot for ESPN Speedweek so the day brought back some good memories. Also, I raced a few times at Anderson myself, which proof in the pudding is my avatar to the left.

I think the new pavement series is going to be fine and have plenty of cars for the remaining 9 shows, that are mostly at IRP... uh ORP... no wait... LOR@I?

LOL
George Wilkins
Last edited by nonwing; 4/3/11 at 7:04 PM.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, KRJoyce1, Pat O'Connor Fan
4/3/11, 7:14 PM   #52
BrentTFunk

A couple of observations. First this only my opinion, but it looks like having a separate series for pavement and dirt is going to help the car counts in both series. Very disappointing crowd beautiful day, good car count, $8 admission for HARF members, nothing else going on, sorry I just don't get it. Also kudos to USAC and Anderson Speedway for starting all cars in the feature. Paying extra on a day when they had to lose money. Pretty decent race.

1 member likes this post: Checker'd Past
4/3/11, 7:22 PM   #53
donwilshe

Good One Bobby! Congrads - DW

4/3/11, 7:51 PM   #54
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
A couple of observations. First this only my opinion, but it looks like having a separate series for pavement and dirt is going to help the car counts in both series. Very disappointing crowd beautiful day, good car count, $8 admission for HARF members, nothing else going on, sorry I just don't get it. Also kudos to USAC and Anderson Speedway for starting all cars in the feature. Paying extra on a day when they had to lose money. Pretty decent race.
Brent,

I agree with your observations. I think that the "new?" USAC pavement series will draw more cars. Not exactly sure why? but that isn't for me to answer.

Anderson Speedway can run all of the quality equipment that they want but unless they run figure 8's you won't have a crowd. The majority of locals that frequent the former Sun Valley Speedway could care less about sprints or anything of quality. Nights of destruction, trailer races, figure 8's, school bus figure 8's, track races, turn over contests, etc.... have become the major attractions. Very sad indeed.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4 members like this post: Checker'd Past, IndyBound, Pat O'Connor Fan, Ricks Pics
4/3/11, 9:48 PM   #55
Tony74

I don't think you will see that many cars again at usac show with the new lower purse.... I hope I am dead wrong but several of those cars running today where probably just taking advantage of some track time to prepare for the little five. Again I would love to be proved dead wrong….

2 members like this post: Geoff Kaiser, wbr
4/4/11, 12:52 PM   #56
Bad Dad 54

Good show I enjoyed it, Like to have seen the race start later as many people from Ind area are in Church Sun morning (I went Sat night) Saw some old friends & made some new ones like Dave from Greenville, OH. Few more Kenyon Midgets but they put on a good show. Both the Kenyon brothers were there. Looks like the pavement cars will make a go of it.

4/4/11, 4:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony74 View Post
I don't think you will see that many cars again at usac show with the new lower purse.... I hope I am dead wrong but several of those cars running today where probably just taking advantage of some track time to prepare for the little five. Again I would love to be proved dead wrong….

You hit the nail right on the head. Take the wing guys out of the field and it leaves you with a pretty sorry car count. One of these days anderson will learn, you get more cars and the same amount of people when you run your own sprint show. Hell the wing guys bring in that size crowd and have to be ALOT CHEAPER on the sanctioning fee.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pavement Sprints @ Anderson