IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #51 11/1/13 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86:
Unsafe weight would be a 25lb battery bolted to a .095 alum floor board. Unsafe weight is 20 lb lead blocks resting on torsion tubes with 1/4 20 bolts holding it on...

I'm guilty, weights not a great thing unless its in the form of roll bars.
You are still a growing boy, won't be long until you don't need that old stupid weight anymore. That is one of them pros or cons of marriage depending on how you look at it.

You can remember back to the days of .049 roll bars and the super light weight cars in the 600cc class. I liked to call them crumple cars, when they flipped they crumpled thus absorbing that sudden stop, protecting the driver and requiring a trip to Hendersonville Tn. or Henderson Ky. for a new chassis "Ca Ching". Raising the weight just a little made those cars obsolete.

In search of weight reduction we now Dzus a 1.2 pound battery to the firewall, we need all the help we can get.

Honest Dad himself
buckshot3448 (Offline)
  #52 11/1/13 10:54 AM
Ill admit when our series decided to add weight to the alcohol cars I was the first one to scream bloody murder. I hated everything about it. I had to had a big steel plate to my floor pan instead of the aluminum one as well as bolted on some led blocks. After 2 years of running with it you wont find my car under 980 usually closer to a 1000. You may think its slowing you down which it proabably is on a tacky track but in the feature when its slicked off and theres nothing there I feel I have the advantage. I personally could care less what the weight rule is cause im just going to leave it heavy it also give me one less thing to worry about at the track.

Now the whole motor deal, im tired of beating a dead horse here. Ive been in racing for quite some time and ive never ran a clas where someone didnt complain about a motor rule. whether it be a crate engine class or open there is going to be someone that feel there being cheated. Also if you guys think that these motors are expensive your just plain crazy. There far cheaper then the 600 guys are running and our entire cars dont compare to the price of a midget or 410 motor. Even if your paying 2,000 plus for a motor which I will never do personally your still racing for cheap. That motor should last you at minimum a season (really about 2 at minimum) If your motors dont last that long then I suggest you look at what your doing wrong and why your blowing them up. Leave the motors bone stock do a oil mod if you think you need to and run the crap out of them. Quit turning high RPM's and bouncing them off the rev limiter. Most people that ask what gear I run say im nuts theres no way. Go watch my Lasalle race on youtube and youll see how low I gear a car. Sure they left me on the start but once it whines up its gone. Maybe something will come from this meeting but i honestly dont see it happening. Theres to many idea's to make it work. Most series in the nation are pretty close and so far ive yet to feel like im at a disadvantage where i go. I couldnt help but to give my opinion on this subject.
2 Likes: DAD, RickyBobby
DAD (Offline)
  #53 11/1/13 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by buckshot3448:
Ill admit when our series decided to add weight to the alcohol cars I was the first one to scream bloody murder. I hated everything about it. I had to had a big steel plate to my floor pan instead of the aluminum one as well as bolted on some led blocks. After 2 years of running with it you wont find my car under 980 usually closer to a 1000. You may think its slowing you down which it proabably is on a tacky track but in the feature when its slicked off and theres nothing there I feel I have the advantage. I personally could care less what the weight rule is cause im just going to leave it heavy it also give me one less thing to worry about at the track.

Now the whole motor deal, im tired of beating a dead horse here. Ive been in racing for quite some time and ive never ran a clas where someone didnt complain about a motor rule. whether it be a crate engine class or open there is going to be someone that feel there being cheated. Also if you guys think that these motors are expensive your just plain crazy. There far cheaper then the 600 guys are running and our entire cars dont compare to the price of a midget or 410 motor. Even if your paying 2,000 plus for a motor which I will never do personally your still racing for cheap. That motor should last you at minimum a season (really about 2 at minimum) If your motors dont last that long then I suggest you look at what your doing wrong and why your blowing them up. Leave the motors bone stock do a oil mod if you think you need to and run the crap out of them. Quit turning high RPM's and bouncing them off the rev limiter. Most people that ask what gear I run say im nuts theres no way. Go watch my Lasalle race on youtube and youll see how low I gear a car. Sure they left me on the start but once it whines up its gone. Maybe something will come from this meeting but i honestly dont see it happening. Theres to many idea's to make it work. Most series in the nation are pretty close and so far ive yet to feel like im at a disadvantage where i go. I couldnt help but to give my opinion on this subject.
Words spoken by a "CONVERT". We can always imagine the worst of anything or any change but when after the deed is done You think of that old song "Is That All There Is"

diana might want to look into racing with you guys.

Honest Dad himself
openwheel44 (Offline)
  #54 11/1/13 11:12 AM
DAD..........I realize that huge rant was a dig at me and the people that want to improve this class. This is becoming stupid. I only have one question:

If you are running a stock motor now, running a heavy car/driver combination and kicking ass as you say.......What the hell you so worried about? No one is trying to change your local rules if that group is completely satisfied with what they have. We are just trying to find that happy medium of basic rules for some of the bigger events that might be scheduled next year so everyone can come and feel they can be competitive. Know exactly what to expect rule and tech wise. And if certain groups decide they like the rules package and adopt it to help unify this class nationwide..........good for them. If not, fine........the sun is still going to rise and set each day. Relax.........they are only going to be FRIENDLY discussions and comparisons. No one is going to rock your little world.

I can't believe the uproar because a group of people agree to TRAVEL AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE AND TIME, set down and discuss ways to help and possible grow this class. My God........I am beginning to understand what is wrong with this class. What are you people so afraid of?
2 Likes: DAD, Quantrill
Bradleyracing86 (Offline)
  #55 11/1/13 11:41 AM
The cars have evolved, the speed as evolved... Reguardless lets keep it civil, don't let a stir stick operator push your tempers. I'm guessing this is why there's not a open meeting too many opinions on a subject will lead to nothing being accomplished. Hey "dad" why is it 2wd trucks haul sand in the wintertime? I would think a dump truck would be more useful?.... See I can do it too .
DAD (Offline)
  #56 11/1/13 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by openwheel44:
DAD..........I realize that huge rant was a dig at me and the people that want to improve this class. This is becoming stupid. I only have one question:

If you are running a stock motor now, running a heavy car/driver combination and kicking ass as you say.......What the hell you so worried about? No one is trying to change your local rules if that group is completely satisfied with what they have. We are just trying to find that happy medium of basic rules for some of the bigger events that might be scheduled next year so everyone can come and feel they can be competitive. Know exactly what to expect rule and tech wise. And if certain groups decide they like the rules package and adopt it to help unify this class nationwide..........good for them. If not, fine........the sun is still going to rise and set each day. Relax.........they are only going to be FRIENDLY discussions and comparisons. No one is going to rock your little world.
Phil

Heck we can't even finish a race. We don't intend to kick ass we just intend to race as hard as we can and let people know that we were there. I hope this is a friendly discussion. To make anything work well you need to compare pro's with con's, look at me as a Devils Advocate.

I was not kidding about that dictator thing. You run a business, and you do what is best for the business and it's bottom line. You are probably it's dictator and that is a good thing. If you do things right it will grow if you don't it will shrink and you being a businessman would probably make adjustments to get things going again.

Dictators or businessmen listen to their subjects (vendors, customers,and employes). They then adjust to what they feel is best for their business. You probably need to be that dictator and Mark your trusted adviser.

A democracy does not work in business settings. The reason is because somebody always has to be designated to clean the crapper.

What you are doing I am sure make you feel noble. Working to better the series is a good thing, BUT take it from a guy that has set through more meetings than I care to remember, racing like business does not work well as a democracy. SOMEBODY has to be in charge. As long as their thoughts are to better the organization and to change when change is needed they can not be faulted.

I think it would be almost impossible to have a discussion like this face to face because usually a lot of thought goes into my response and I am sure your response also. We are working toward the same goal. But we do take different approaches toward the problems that face us in the future.

Mini sprints to me is the best form of racing out there. I have neither the time nor fortune to be racing midgets my true love.

Try to include more people, don't let the class be over run by one or two racers wining all the races. If need be handicap these people they will ruin the sport for everyone.

Take charge and stop worrying about letting the racers make the rules, they got skin in the game.

Honest Dad himself
openwheel44 (Offline)
  #57 11/1/13 11:45 AM
Can't believe I am typing this but maybe, just maybe we are looking at this weight thing all wrong. Don't fuss about a minimum weight...... We need to start worrying about a maximum weight. The secret is out.

Rather than adding weight...........I just use more wing on winged races. Seems to have the same effect. Go figure. And if "heavy" is such a good thing, why do all these classes worry about a minimum weight at all?
DAD (Offline)
  #58 11/1/13 11:52 AM
Can't believe I am typing this but maybe, just maybe we are looking at this weight thing all wrong. Don't fuss about a minimum weight...... We need to start worrying about a maximum weight. The secret is out.

Rather than adding weight...........I just use more wing on winged races. Seems to have the same effect. Go figure. And if "heavy" is such a good thing, why do all these classes worry about a minimum weight at all?
Weight is a big hang up with many racers and prospective racers out there. We are a nation of obese people.

Wings eventually stall at a certain angle of attack. When they do that down force becomes DRAG. That's right isn't it Andy?

Honest Dad himself
buckshot3448 (Offline)
  #59 11/1/13 12:09 PM

IM not saying a 1500 pound car will win but guys try to do everything possible to weigh 925 and then whine when they have to be 40 lbs heavier then everyone else. Adding weight will never solve the problem just make one weight that you have to be and leave it at that let guys run how much weight they want. I prefer to come across heavier as most as it helps me with traction i know other guys who think the same. I also add alot of wing on wing races.
DAD (Offline)
  #60 11/1/13 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by buckshot3448:
IM not saying a 1500 pound car will win but guys try to do everything possible to weigh 925 and then whine when they have to be 40 lbs heavier then everyone else. Adding weight will never solve the problem just make one weight that you have to be and leave it at that let guys run how much weight they want. I prefer to come across heavier as most as it helps me with traction i know other guys who think the same. I also add alot of wing on wing races.
Buckshot

How does this sound to you?

Do not allow the use of the race scales before the race event. Weight would only be taken after the main event. The race scales would be the only device allowed to weigh cars.. Zero tolerance for deviation.

That would up the weight of many racers by several pounds and throw a new calculus to their pre race set-up.

Honest Dad himself