IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
illiNOISE (Offline)
  #51 12/16/08 8:48 AM
Originally Posted by carrytheleftfront:
i think it is actually great scheduling. You go to Terre Haute wednesday, then kamp, b-town, and tri-state. For those who stay in hotels like most all the drivers do or teams... You get a room at one hotel for 3 nights as opposed to having to book hotel rooms at 3 different places. race at terre haute.. stay there. go to kamp roughly hour and half race and come back to terre haute for the night.. then you have like an hour drive to b town the next day. then back to terre haute.. then the last night when u have the longest drive your half way there with your room in terre haute and have a shorter drive to tri state.... as a former mechanic on a team it is nice to not have to check in and stay at diffferent hotels every night.... having one hotel for 3 nights is much nicer... plus u can normally get better rates when staying for more than one night...this schedule is reflecting by having a former racer working in USAC...McCord who understands what is nice for the race teams and drivers to get the most rest. 2 thoumbs up to USAC:thumb:thumb :usacfan also for the out of town fans it helps them the same way....
I'd much rather have to book at a couple of different hotels than to have to drive 77 miles from Kamp to Terre Haute, or 62 miles from Bloomington to Terre Haute.
I don't mind making long trips during the day, but the whole point of getting hotels is that you don't have to drive long distances after the races. I'm much more likely to hang around in the pits after the races if I know I don't have an hour or more trip back to the hotel, and I'm sure the racers feel the same way.

The "backward" scheduling of THAT and Kamp only adds 84 miles to the 3-day stretch of TH, Kamp, and Bloomington. But, still, why make folks burn 84 miles of fuel if they don't have to?

I'm thinking that the protesting has more to do with folks being upset that Kamp is back on the schedule. That race was a nightmare last year, but the track is just 105 miles from Chicago, the 3rd largest Metropolitan area in the country. And I'm sure sponsors have some influence on USAC's thinking.

Even Roman Chariots ran non-wing, and on dirt. Hail Caesar!
wbr (Offline)
  #52 12/16/08 1:17 PM
Originally Posted by illiNOISE:
I'd much rather have to book at a couple of different hotels than to have to drive 77 miles from Kamp to Terre Haute, or 62 miles from Bloomington to Terre Haute.
I don't mind making long trips during the day, but the whole point of getting hotels is that you don't have to drive long distances after the races. I'm much more likely to hang around in the pits after the races if I know I don't have an hour or more trip back to the hotel, and I'm sure the racers feel the same way.
Have you checked into renting a motorhome for sprint week? A friend rented one a few years back for $79 a day, about the same as a motel room. You could hang around in the pits afterward as late as you wanted and drive to the next track in the morning when you are rested and its safer to drive.

Originally Posted by illiNOISE:
I'm thinking that the protesting has more to do with folks being upset that Kamp is back on the schedule. That race was a nightmare last year, but the track is just 105 miles from Chicago, the 3rd largest Metropolitan area in the country. And I'm sure sponsors have some influence on USAC's thinking.
I didn't make it to Kamp last year, but the first year was good racing for sure. The track was dusty but it had been raining and threatening to rain all day- We all know that many other tracks (DA) would have cancelled with the threat of any rain, so I'll give Kamp the benefit of doubt on my part. The track has good clay in it and I seen many good late model races there, so hopefully they will water it for a few days in advance and maybe treat the aprons and cushion with chemicals to keep the dust down for the sprint cars this time.

I almost forgot- Thank You USAC for adding a couple more pavement races!
RR>LR=LTO (Offline)
  #53 12/16/08 5:13 PM
Earlier in this thread Dave Rudisell said he changed his scheduling for the fans and the racers. I wish Terre Haute/Kamp/USAC would follow suit. I don't believe it would upset the apple cart to switch these races that occur mid to late week. USAC is the best thing to happen to Kamp since they switched back to dirt(dust) whatever.... USAC should tell them when the race is held, instead of the promoter. USAC puts on the best show they have all year. (give or take midget week and a guest appearance by Sammy Hawkins) We; the fans, drivers, owners, machanics will lay down tons of cash in that area, as you have tapped into a great market and never before utilized that portion of the state. [with the exception of Medaryville, AKA-Shady Hill Speedway.(Great Chili burgers at Medaryville!!)] So "SOMEONE" can't make this change happen? It cannot be swithced? I hardly believe that. The two promoters should at least talk it out, with egos put aside, for us, the folks buying tickets, who like to race, party, sleep, shower, do maintenance, shower again, then go to the track. If we start in the Northern part of the state and head South from there, won't gravity help our fuel mileage since we are going downhill? HA! WORK IT OUT.............PLEASE!

People will more readily accept your ideas if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first! :thumb

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #54 12/21/08 7:50 PM
For one let me clear up something 6157, The Fair Setup is AFTER Sprint Week...The Fair has nothing to do with not having a Sprint Week date.

Was there a shortage of lifeguards in your genepool?

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
6157 (Offline)
  #55 12/21/08 8:06 PM
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn:
For one let me clear up something 6157, The Fair Setup is AFTER Sprint Week...The Fair has nothing to do with not having a Sprint Week date.

Was there a shortage of lifeguards in your genepool?
Classy.

You'll fit right in with Guy Webb.

Edit: Maybe you need the lifeguards. You're the one who told us sprint Week was not do-able because of the fair, last year.
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #56 12/21/08 8:56 PM
If I took the time to care what some anonymous internet poster thought of me...

If you carried any weight in the industry..I might be concerned about what you thought. But since you dont know me, it doesnt mean much.

And about my status with the All Stars? Lets just say I seen the light

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
6157 (Offline)
  #57 12/21/08 9:12 PM
If you carried any weight in the industry..I might be concerned about what you thought. But since you dont know me, it doesnt mean much.

Such is the beauty of anonymity. It won't make a difference if i'm Joe Grandstandwarmer but if I'm Bruton Smith? Well....
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #58 12/21/08 9:25 PM
Just shows that you dont have any faith in who you are apparently, and would rather sit behind a keyboard and chuck stones at people.

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
racefan20 (Offline)
  #59 12/21/08 10:25 PM
Just shows that you dont have any faith in who you are apparently, and would rather sit behind a keyboard and chuck stones at people.
Chris if he doesnt have enough BALLS to put his name to his posts he isnt worth the time it takes to reply to him

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #60 12/21/08 10:33 PM
Point well taken Mr. Hoover

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com