IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just run the race please.
8/26/13, 4:14 PM   #51
19racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBahama View Post
Thanks for all the opinions, and especially those of you who kept it cordial. I went to both Saturday night Smackdowns so far, bought the $40 pit pass, I always buy a pit pass at every event i attend, and usually have my son and maybe one of his friends, and buy pit passes for everyone.

I've come to the conclusion the Saturday night show is not for me, I'll catch either Thursday or Friday, or maybe both. I want to see everyone in heat races, locking in the top 8 takes some of the excitement from the night, especially if that's the only night you can be there. The King Of The Hill races to me were for the most part average, two cars for three laps. I don't like them at McCarl's event either.

I go to Florida in February, Knoxville for at least a week in August and catch as much Gas City, Lawrenceburg and Kokomo as possible in addition to Eldora, Waynesfield, Attica or Fremont. I'm usually at a race at least two of the three nights on a weekend. All the screwing around and disorganization is getting old. I just haven't found something that I enjoy more than racing, but when I do, who knows I may not go back.

This is a great event and I LOVE KOKOMO SPEEDWAY, so I'm not trying to be negative. My point was 3 heats a B and A main to take that long makes for a frustrating night and honestly no reason for me to be driving on back roads in Ohio at 1am. There's no easy way to Kokomo from where I live, it's a hard 2 1/2 to 3 hrs on back roads. Again, this is why I love the way they run their regular shows, I can go there with confidence knowing barring something very unusual I'm getting home at a reasonable time while seeing a great show.

Posted via Mobile Device
One other thing to remember is that USAC also had to hand out Indiana Sprint week awards since the last night of that was rained out and this is their biggest show of the year. No better time to do that than at intermission while the bmain transfers get ready for the feature and feature cars line up in front of the crowd. I will say as an employee at Kokomo Speedway and helping USAC with their races in the last 4 years it was nice for me to put a face with the name. Drivers switch numbers and cars more often then not throughout the year for whatever reason. I seen a lot of kids very excited including my own to hi five drivers. I've been working at tracks for a long time and I like how the Smackdown is ran in a 3 day show. We run a very quick show on a sun night but with it being a Sat the owners and USAC drivers wanted to give back to the fans by tossing a autographed shirt in the stands. The lucky person who had the feature winner shirt won tickets to Smackdown 3

Posted via Mobile Device

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cwfan08, fish, mowerman, Tim Watson, TommyBahama
8/26/13, 5:58 PM   #52
Re: Just run the race please.
Sprintcarfanatic

I'm open for adoption Mr. Bahama & general admission is fine. Hell I'll even change my handle to Johnny Bahama !!! It doe's have a nice ring to it.

8/26/13, 6:16 PM   #53
racephoto1

I didn't go, work is work. But from the observations I've made here, I've noticed a couple things.

First, great job getting the kids involved . For how long on this board have people complained about getting butts in the stands. Kokomo does what is needed to do that , and still complaints. What EXACTLY do people want , because I can't tell anymore. Young people going, or home early ?

Two, auto racing is like a church. Yes you read that right. A church with no young people in it has no future. Auto racing with no young people doesn't either.

Last but not least, the people who complain about Kokomo also complain about Tri State's" tractor parade". They do track prep for the fans, they're not doing it for fun.

I'm glad those that went enjoyed it. Now take a kid racing this weekend too !

4 members like this post: bandres21, BrentTFunk, DICNJAN, dirt330
8/26/13, 8:13 PM   #54
walkez

Great track as in nice facility. Nothing to do with track prep. Just think at times they drag it out some.
Last edited by walkez; 8/26/13 at 8:17 PM.

8/26/13, 8:27 PM   #55
19racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkez View Post
Great track as in nice facility. Nothing to do with track prep. Just think at times they drag it out some.
What was drug out?? Start at 730 and done by 1030. Only one support class each night. I've read where tracks run 4&5 and complain one or two complain. Drivers thought the show was great from drivers meetings and they are looking forward to next year. 99.9% fans and kids loved the show. Mine still talking about giving hi fives as they pass by. This show is only going to get bigger and better. A regular sun night show race at 630 done by 930 as long as night goes smooth.

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, D.N.3, fish, racephoto1
8/26/13, 8:28 PM   #56
rwright

No idea about Kokomo as I have not been there since 1977, but this is one of the main reasons I only attend a few races at the PAS each year. They can have the heats and b mains done by 8:30 and then take till after 10:30 to finish the show. I like how Ventura does it, one main finishes then the next pushes off right away and all winners are interviewed after the last race. Long nights were one of the things my now adult children cited as reasons they rarely wanted to attend.

1 member likes this post: TommyBahama
8/26/13, 8:44 PM   #57
BrentTFunk

No matter how you say it, 3hours is not a long night. First race at 7:30 last race completed by 10:34. Any down time was filled promoting the drivers and teams, and making things fun for the kids.

8/26/13, 8:57 PM   #58
Sprintcarfanatic

I've been at the races until 6:30 am & not because of drinking, Rain Delays, The 99 Big One comes to mind & boy am I glad I stayed. I can still see Gobrecht running up them stairs & pumping his fist's.

2 members like this post: mowerman, racephoto1
8/26/13, 8:58 PM   #59
rwright

Problem is you run heats for three divisions and a b for the sprints in an hour and a half, then take 2 hours to run the mains, with only one of them being over 20 laps. Everybody talks about making new fans, well todays youth, and I'm talking teens and young adults are not really into sitting around with nothing going on. It's not the overall time, it's the amount of down time. We would spend all day at the track when my son raced MX, but there was always something happening on the track.

8/26/13, 9:00 PM   #60
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBahama View Post
Thanks for all the opinions, and especially those of you who kept it cordial. I went to both Saturday night Smackdowns so far, bought the $40 pit pass, I always buy a pit pass at every event i attend, and usually have my son and maybe one of his friends, and buy pit passes for everyone.

I've come to the conclusion the Saturday night show is not for me, I'll catch either Thursday or Friday, or maybe both. I want to see everyone in heat races, locking in the top 8 takes some of the excitement from the night, especially if that's the only night you can be there. The King Of The Hill races to me were for the most part average, two cars for three laps. I don't like them at McCarl's event either.

I go to Florida in February, Knoxville for at least a week in August and catch as much Gas City, Lawrenceburg and Kokomo as possible in addition to Eldora, Waynesfield, Attica or Fremont. I'm usually at a race at least two of the three nights on a weekend. All the screwing around and disorganization is getting old. I just haven't found something that I enjoy more than racing, but when I do, who knows I may not go back.

This is a great event and I LOVE KOKOMO SPEEDWAY, so I'm not trying to be negative. My point was 3 heats a B and A main to take that long makes for a frustrating night and honestly no reason for me to be driving on back roads in Ohio at 1am. There's no easy way to Kokomo from where I live, it's a hard 2 1/2 to 3 hrs on back roads. Again, this is why I love the way they run their regular shows, I can go there with confidence knowing barring something very unusual I'm getting home at a reasonable time while seeing a great show.

Posted via Mobile Device
I get what you mean and completely understand but we rode 5 hours home back to Wisconsin after the races.

3 members like this post: dirt330, fish, mowerman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just run the race please.