IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment
8/16/09, 10:42 PM   #51
Re: Kevin Miller experiment
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
What tracks could be added?
Didn't PRA race here? Looks a nice track. http://www.racesgmp.com/

http://www.racesgmp.com/facility-photos.da

http://www.racesgmp.com/arial-photos.da

8/16/09, 10:51 PM   #52
openwheelfan1

I have had the privilege of being around the sport of sprint car and midget racing for over 40 years. The present situation with the sprint car and midget car counts is not something that (in my opinion) can be totally blamed on the current USAC management. The current situation has developed over the course of the last 5-8 years (and many will say longer) and again, IMO will not be solved in 1-2 years.

Certainly, in the midwest there exist enough sprint cars to have 25 to 30 at any pavement race IF some can be persuaded to take off the wings. Some of the winged pavement races cite safety, and some costs for not racing with USAC. I personally do not know what the answer is, but almost certainly containing and controlling costs going forward have to be a part of the solution.

Midgets are (I believe) a different story. Yes, POWRI seems to be somewhat stronger than USAC right now, but their car counts are off some too. The Chili Bowl every year proves that there are LOTS of midgets out there, but IMO midget costs are SO out of control most owners leave their cars in the garage except for one or two events. $35,000 engines that require $5,000+ rebuilds after 6-8 races and racing for $1,500 to win does not make a lot of sense to me.

The economy, fuel prices, lack of exposure, lack of opportunity to advance, and costs are all things that threaten OUR sport. Many on here have said increased purses will solve the car count, but I do not believe it is just purses. I think we have seen this year that bigger purses do not always equate to big car counts. I reference the $5,000 to win event @ TSS that drew 20 cars and the $2,000 to win event @ LPS that drew 40.

The solution (or solutions) has to be something embraced by the fans, the racers, the sanctioning bodies and the promoters. OUR sport is threatened and if WE can work together, WE can save it.

Steve

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
8/16/09, 11:01 PM   #53
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

Quote:
So where is your advice? What tracks could be added?
Of the top of my head I would like to see them run at.
Irwindale CA
Gateway IL
Illiana IN
Berlin MI
Mansfield OH
LaCrosse WI
Madison WI
Kaukauna WI

Added 2 extra in WI..Shorter drive for me...

8/16/09, 11:06 PM   #54
Vukie

Stafford Springs, CT
Loudon, NH
Myrtle Beach SC
Last edited by Vukie; 8/16/09 at 11:16 PM.

8/16/09, 11:27 PM   #55
sc96

Quote:
So where is your advice? What tracks could be added?
I think they should look at Gateway again if they feel its to fast(That is the reason i herd why they dont run it) You could do a restrictor deal. Irwindale is another option run it the week before Phoenix.

8/16/09, 11:28 PM   #56
DonMoore10

Syracuse, NY
Sacramento, CA
Stockton, CA Mile dirt
Fresno, CA Mile dirt
Del Mar, CA (there may be a new surface for this track that wouldn't work)
Beulah Park, Mile dirt Columbus, OH (had an AMA flat track race there Aug.16)
Tulsa State Fairgrounds 3/4 mile dirt, great facility. Not sure if the horses are still running there or not. Yes, I'm well aware of the problems there a few years ago.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 8/16/09 at 11:36 PM.

8/16/09, 11:40 PM   #57
sc96

You could look at Rockingham its a mile there is a track in Memphis that would run them and from what I have herd has asked to have them although that is second hand info. My personal feelings are that you need to keep the sc cars on larger tracks( larger than half mile ) otherwise it turns into a deal where you might as well run sprint cars and get the same basic show from a tracks point of view.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Syracuse, NY
Sacramento, CA
Stockton, CA Mile dirt
Fresno, CA Mile dirt
Tulsa State Fairgrounds 3/4 mile dirt, great facility. Not sure if the horses are still running there or not. Yes, I'm well aware of the problems there a few years ago.
As for the dirt side there are plenty of tracks out there why they dont run them I have no idea.

8/17/09, 12:37 AM   #58
Heromaker

I loved the Del Mar and Sacramento race immensley, but I can almost mortgage the house that there will never be another Dirt Silver Crown race on these mile Track again.

California is goofy in regards to Insurence and you are right they are poly tracks now. I think Sacramento Cal Expo is bankrupt now anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Syracuse, NY
Sacramento, CA
Stockton, CA Mile dirt
Fresno, CA Mile dirt

8/17/09, 12:51 AM   #59
racephoto1

The biggest thing they need is a good PR guy. They can't even get there results posted in the Indy Star, and they're head quartered there. Hell the speedrome has everything listed each time they run,why doesn't USAC ? Somebody really needs to schmooze with the sports editor there.

I went to Stafford for the PRA race, I went to Oswego,I also saw Illiana. Three great shows for Champ Cars. They could even do Oswego and Stafford on the same weekend. New Hampshire would also be nice.

Dirt, Terre Haute back on,I think the Burg would be great, It's wide enough , and big enough. Back to the Grove.

I also remember when we only ran 3 champ shows a year.

Spridge , do some more research you whippersnapper. If you have any old USAC year books , check out what the Hoosier Hundred and Hulman Classic used to pay. Eldora wasn't the first place to pay good money. Heck , I remember when purses paid overages, and Iowa, Oswego , and ORP should have! But that was loooong before your time.

8/17/09, 7:22 AM   #60
psullivan

It's great to speculate on all the tracks you would like USAC run - but interest is a two-way street. Those tracks have to be interested in buying the product and convinced they could make a profit - and after that there has to be assurance that the teams will support the event. Several on the lists have come and gone - and they wouldn't be gone if the interest and profitably was present. I have announce two Silver Crown races in my career to a crowd of less than 1,000 (and could have been less than 500 really).

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment