IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC, Lawrenceburg April 2nd details
4/4/16, 9:03 AM   #41
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
4 out of the last 5 times I've been it's been rubber down. It's certainly not the tire compound, run the same tire everywhere. It's pretty simple, when you pack dirt down as hard as concrete and never actually turn the track over its going to be dusty, slick, and will likely take rubber, and water isn't going to correct it. hard to run local shows when you destroy a minimum of three tires a night for 1500 to win.
Spot on!
In all fairness to the track prep boss, he also manages the ski slopes just down the road. Now, I don't know a thing about skiing, but my guess is, he packs those slopes down real tight, also. He may have the absolute best prepared slopes in the nation. Unfortunately, that principle makes for some of the worst dirt surface conditions known to rubber.
I wonder if you have to run the same brand ski on each foot at the slopes?; or is it open foot rule? I don't know.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, motorhead748, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner, TQ29m
4/4/16, 10:29 AM   #42
minispeed

You can bash Dave and his crew all you want but I can't tell you how many times over the years that every track in Indiana has canceled and Dave/crew bust there A$$ to get that track ready to race!!!!

4/4/16, 11:32 AM   #43
hupp#9

It's not about bashing the point is that if he don't get it figured out and don't care what the racers think they will quit coming and when that happens that track won't last long and from what a lot of racers have been saying local nights won't pull but an average of 15 cars and that's not going to work

4/4/16, 12:04 PM   #44
minispeed

Do you really think he doesn't care what the racers think??? There not a promoter in the world that doesn't care what the racers think!!! You got understand that Lawrenceburg got 5 inches of rain in two days before the race. 50 mph winds and thousands of dollars and promoting. If I had to guess he packed the track down so the water would run off. Therefore getting the race in and saving him thousands of dollars!

4/4/16, 12:07 PM   #45
Re: USAC, Lawrenceburg April 2nd details
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen24 View Post
The track was a joke. There is no excuse for black in the first group of hot laps. Wind or not Lawrenceburg is the only track in the state that takes rubber nearly every night. The pit area wasn't dry and the wind was blowing there too. 10's of thousands of dollars where spent last night and fans had to sit through a complete embarrassment of a race.
So don't go anymore is all I can tell you. Because you were at a race track. You could have been at home on your can watching 2 blowout NCAA Final Four games instead. The conditions were bad and the heats and B were good with all kinds of crazy moves being performed. The feature was not good but it happens sometimes! Races aren't always spot on and conditions are always changing. The guy who adapts the best wins and Saturday night DD did just that.

4/4/16, 12:09 PM   #46
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I didn't get home till noon the day after LOL.

My review is that the heats and consi were great and my post from another thread came true for the feature

Was also great seeing DD win and continue the streak to 26 straight years of a USAC national win.

My Post from another thread

I also think tracks making mandatory corners or all should have the harder option available. They shouldn't have to go out there knowing for a fact the RR will be gone or it become a race of attrition due to blow outs like the last Bubba race was. Making things last, that's for Champ Cars.

BTW, I don't blame the track at all. he could have put a hour into the track while we were all freezing and it probably wouldn't have changed much the way the wind was. It was still going to be a race between cars until it became a race against the end of tire life.
I suspect had this been a "wing" race the review would have been slightly different.

2 members like this post: pushinthecushin, smith19
4/4/16, 2:47 PM   #47
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Qualifying saw top five cracked several times late into the session.

The heats were epic, Me and another poster looked at each other several times in awe. From Tmez monster two for one slider and battle with Cottle to win. To Leary dogging Stockon attempting a last corner slider and still only coming up a car short. To Boespflug putting on a masterful pass on the silent gasser on the final lap for his win.

A lot goes on we don't see. There were people already leaving due to the cold before the feature started. Who made the call not to rework? USAC or the track? IDK Its Rudy's fault anyway!! Its his fault the optional hard tire wasn't allowed. Its all his fault. I don't know why some promoters keep going? Im just glad they do. I was on the fence about the negativity hurting tracks. Not anymore. Glad I got out of the house for what was for the most part. A awesome show with a difficult second half of the feature.

As for the four ski rule, Guess you didn't notice he's the only one that was going to the four corner rule that after listening to racers changed back to three open.

As for the "If it was a winged show my viewed be different post"
I wouldn't have been there to start with, and they give three tire choices but you must start the feature on the tire you qualified on..

Have fun at the races, Its obvious some of ya can't and like to take pot shots at those who do. Im sure everyone has a after the fact opinion. I just shared my before the fact opinion and get heckled for it.

I point out negatives when they're obvious but try to do it in a constructive way. I think hupp shared his that way and not a bash, But except for the straights I rarely have seen the track locked down into one groove and can count on one hand the nights it was huggy pole features vs the old track being that way every night. Here's my after the fact statement, Should a track rework have been done prior to feature. YES!

If you have facebook. Here's a link to Tmez heat win. If that don't make your hair stand on end. Your not human. Catch the whole show at Loudpedal tv.
https://www.facebook.com/braden.rous...8/?pnref=story
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/4/16 at 3:56 PM.

6 members like this post: DirtHawk92, farriswheel, jim goerge, mc/rider, racegal, scottyCbus
4/4/16, 3:04 PM   #48
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

Well put Charles. We were at a race track for goodness sakes. I wish they would have worked the track but they didn't and that's that. Would it have been better we will never know. Does it matter now not really! In the future we can only hope. On to the next race we go like a real fan does! It's called the past for a reason leave it there! See ya at the races!

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, mc/rider
4/4/16, 6:00 PM   #49
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by minispeed View Post
Do you really think he doesn't care what the racers think??? There not a promoter in the world that doesn't care what the racers think!!! You got understand that Lawrenceburg got 5 inches of rain in two days before the race. 50 mph winds and thousands of dollars and promoting. If I had to guess he packed the track down so the water would run off. Therefore getting the race in and saving him thousands of dollars!
It was a bad track, no doubt about it, but it wasn't from a lack of effort. Drivers adapt to different track conditions and several did that real well Saturday. Not to dispute Charles on his tire conspiaracy, but Fred Flinstone would have worn out his tires on Saturday. I was very impressed with Dallas Hewitt's hard charger award. I thought the heats were great, but once the track got that wide, everyone had to run the bottom. A shout out to Max Mcghee on a top 5 on a tough track. I would not want to see a track like that every race. Congrats to the drivers who rose to the occasion.

4/4/16, 10:04 PM   #50
cmiracingvids

I thought they ran the show quickly, and I was kinda glad they didn't bother with the track. I thought I could handle the cold and I was freezing!!! A rework would have taken a long time and I'm not sure it would have helped. I actually found the drama of guys losing tires pretty exciting too! Heck Messeraull came back to like 7th? After going to the tail late? Burg could have easily cancelled, but they didn't. That's why I decided to go. They put the effort, I went to support it. It was a pretty good show!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC, Lawrenceburg April 2nd details