IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are we having problems getting new fans?
7/1/13, 7:40 PM   #41
Re: Why are we having problems getting new fans?
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The past couple of years I have been doing some research. I can only speak for the crowd at Kokomo, but I would guess most tracks have the same situation. Years ago most of the crowd was local. Now over 70% travel over an hour to attend. I think the amount of travelers is probably close to what it used to be, but the number of locals has dropped off considerably. This has been common for the last 15 years or so. It has become more of a niche market. Cost of competing has changed things. When I was young there were probably 10 or more sprintcars within a 20 mile area of Kokomo. Those guys got their friends an co workers to come out and watch, and those are the people I think we lost. We are lucky because we have a class act like Josh Spencer who takes his car to events, and promotes his sponsors. There are many people working to try to bring more people in. I think live updates and negative comments hurt growth, but I know that is not all the problem.
I hate to say it Brent,but a few weeks ago when we got rained out and called out for Pizza,both places we called asked for the address,even after we said we were at Kokomo Speedway.So I wonder if the younger crowd even knows where it is??

It took me by surprise,as when I was younger and IF we could have ordered out for Pizza back then,or even today,all you would have to say is Oxford Plains Speedway,and everyone knows where that is,no address required.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, mowerman
7/1/13, 9:29 PM   #42
Jonr

A couple of thoughts: When I was growing up, there were several "local" gas stations/garages with a race car. It seemed that I could see a race car sitting around all the time during the week. Also, I always loved seeing the cars on the open trailers. It was a rush to see a car being towed somewhere during the week or even on the weekend. You rarely see either one of these now.

My home town had a local racer who loved getting his car ready for the season well before New Years day. He would then spend every Saturday morning from January to April towing that car some where in town. I don't know how many trips the brand new car took to the car wash, or how many times it was parked at the coffee shop. He loved to take the car around and have people look at it and talk about his new car.

When I raced my stock car, people would always come up to me when I was at the gas station, and talk to me about the car. It was really fun to see their excitement about the car. However, at 12:30 at night when I had to spend 30 minutes unloading the truck, I was dreaming about an enclosed trailer.

As others have stated, at some point we have forgot that we need people in the front stands. We started making decisions based on the back gate and not the front gate. Why do we need so many classes? Who really wants to go to a marathon of racing that lasts 5-6 hours? Do we really need to farm the track again? If we have to farm the track can we have more than one tractor?

Another thing that kills first time fans is going to a track that is a dust storm. You can tell always who the first time fans are because they are the ones that leave when the first big dust cloud comes up, and they always have the same "you can not be serious" look on their face. I battle this with my oldest son. He has really bad allergies. He enjoys going to the races that are not dust storms, but if he goes to one that is a dust storm it will be months before he will even think about going back.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/1/13, 9:57 PM   #43
Will Shunk

Many great ideas, causes and effect, and some solutions. Young people want technology, a WOW factor, and entertainment that meets their time frame of attention. Tracks must have free WiFi for youth to even consider attending. The sprint car racing is a WOW factor as it rivals any extreme sport when witnessed in person. We really fall down on the time frame. Kids ask me "Why do they push the cars?". Talk about 19th century technology! A big turn off for multiple reasons to youth. Other reasons for declining a second invite by kids is "too dusty, I can't see", "sprints are cool but those other cars are boring", "if I want to watch farm tractors, I will do that for free a few miles up the road most days of the week". My solutions for youth attendance and interest are WiFi, self starters, consistent track prep, fewer classes with time limits on preliminary races for all classes, no down time between races/classes, and a total time block of 3 hours for the entire program (like a night at the movies). PS. I do like the idea of open trailers or race cars parked in the open during the daytime. As a kid myself, I always made mom or dad drive through town by the locations that might give me a peak of a race car or shop to get my fix until Saturday night's races.

1 member likes this post: Jonr
7/2/13, 12:01 AM   #44
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
I hate to say it Brent,but a few weeks ago when we got rained out and called out for Pizza,both places we called asked for the address,even after we said we were at Kokomo Speedway.So I wonder if the younger crowd even knows where it is??

It took me by surprise,as when I was younger and IF we could have ordered out for Pizza back then,or even today,all you would have to say is Oxford Plains Speedway,and everyone knows where that is,no address required.
Andrew At Haubstadt you order a pizza from Sandys and say I;m at the track their next question is front or back stretch

7/2/13, 6:54 AM   #45
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post

I can do you one better. When I worked for Kent about 15 years ago. A guy had never been to the track was in a motel. He asked the clerk how to get to the speedway, and she gave him directions to the place where you rent go karts.

1 member likes this post: Andrew S. Quinn
7/3/13, 12:14 AM   #46
Will Shunk

Why did this thread die off so soon? This place always has a lot of opinions.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are we having problems getting new fans?