IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT-Gas Prices
6/6/13, 3:41 PM   #41
Re: OT-Gas Prices
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Supposedly the price increase is due to refineries being down for maintenance, thus decreasing refining capacity. The usual excuse for the summer price increase is the switchover to a summer blend, so keep that in mind for next month.
They used the "summer switch over" for the reason for the hike in March to get us used to $3.80 a gallon. Today, the reason is refinery shutdown with reduced supply and the high demand for summer travel. Most haven't even been out of school for a few day so I doubt the high demand is here yet. Buy a hybrid - 44 mpg makes it a little better.

6/6/13, 3:54 PM   #42
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
That's what "they" keep telling us, but I (and most folks I know) haven't seen much "improving".
99% of us can't afford the stock market, so the 1% who can have doubled their money in 5 years. The rest of us are paying more for everything from taxes, food, to gasoline to get to work for the man. We live from payday to payday. We certainly have been suckered by that "trickle down" from the 80's. I for one have not seen the trickle down but more like an "up the chute".

3 members like this post: ByronMack, I Miss Manzy, PatrickMead#13
6/6/13, 3:54 PM   #43
terrehautian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
They used the "summer switch over" for the reason for the hike in March to get us used to $3.80 a gallon. Today, the reason is refinery shutdown with reduced supply and the high demand for summer travel. Most haven't even been out of school for a few day so I doubt the high demand is here yet. Buy a hybrid - 44 mpg makes it a little better.
I don't like the "buy a hybrid" line. There is a lot of us with vehicles that don't get great gas mileage, but what makes our vehicles great is that they are paid off. If I got a hybrid, then I would have a 200 dollar plus car payment. Insurance would triple, plates would be more. So my Jeep gets 15 mpg. If I got a car that got 44mpg, I would save about 2,000 or so a year in gas roughly (15,000 miles a year). If the payment was only 200 a month and insurance ran me an extra 60 a month, then this new fuel efficient car would cost me 3,400 extra in car payments in insurance. So new hybrid with insurance, gas (at $4 a gallon), payments and plates would run me around $5,600 a year. My Jeep is paid off so no payments, insurance runs me $110 a month for full coverage and 4,000 in fuel at $4 and 15k a year would run me about 5,600 a year in costs.

Now don't forget that hybrids will need to have the batteries changed out in 10-15 years and that may or may not be under warranty at that time, so that might be another 3-5k or more. I would much rather have a diesel car then a hybrid.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
6/6/13, 4:09 PM   #44
Jerry Spencer

The price for a barrel of oil is down as is the demand, compaire what a barrel of oil went for a few years ago and what it is selling at now. Our fearlees leader placed all the blame on the leader at the time so who is at fault now. I have no favorites when it comes to the goverment as I hate them all. J.M.O.

Now the good news we have tried an oil additive called MotorKote after talking with some truck drivers and hearing Steve Summers talk about it on W.L.W. 700, hearing nothing but good news we thought we would give it a try.

Two ounces per quart at your next oil change, do not leave any oil out fill with oil then add MotorKote, This stuff is not snake oil or anything done with smoke and mirrors it really works, we have seen a jump in our fuel milage and a smoother running engine after just one use, I have an 09 Ultra that like all Harleys at idle the oil pressure drops to almost nothing after MotorKote at idle I have oil pressure at all times, the clunk when shifting is almost gone. We use it in anything that turns, power steering, transmission, garbage disposal, lawn mower, generator and the rearend on the race car. (temps dropped a bunch) you name it this stuff works. The guy that invented Rain X is the same guy that came up with MotorKote.

Check out there website then grab a bottle and give it a try I give you my word this stuff works, it does nothing to enhance the oil it does bond to the metal.

I order by the gallon off there website but now you can get it at Meijers or Wallmart ( I go online as I will not step foot in Wallmart another opinion)

Jerry #66j

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, TQ29m
6/6/13, 4:39 PM   #45
TQ29m

Jerry, cannot validate your results with the Motorkote, but can certainly agree with your Wal-Wart opinion, that is a mind over matter deal, if you don't mind what they are selling, then it don't matter, and the sorry part is, people are so easily brainwashed into thinking they really can't buy any thing any cheaper, anywhere else. We support our local businesses, and it pays off in the long run. Bob!
Last edited by TQ29m; 6/6/13 at 7:32 PM.

2 members like this post: PatrickMead#13, PJ Wright
6/6/13, 4:43 PM   #46
Hotshoe65s

Went to Yuma, Az for a school trip a couple weeks ago. Gas was $3.20 a gallon. Then drove 2.5 hours to San Diego and gas was $5 a gallon.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/6/13, 4:55 PM   #47
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq29m View Post
we support out local businesses, and it pays off in the long run. Bob!
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

6/6/13, 7:16 PM   #48
terrehautian

There isn't many "local" stations left in Terre Haute. 500 Express was locally owned, but sold out to Greedway. I get my gas at Baeslers when I can. I know Bob barely makes anything on gas, but at least I know what little profit stays right here in Terre Haute for the most part.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT-Gas Prices