IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unpaid CRA bounties
6/9/11, 1:16 PM   #41
Re: Unpaid CRA bounties
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
PS. Weren't one of these races held at Attica? I remember going there for one where I talked to MClure about the car they were racing (Mid cage downtube)

Also I wasn't there but on my tape. Sammy came out to try I think at Grand Forks???? Flipped it in qualifying. It was in the Annett car. Not sure if it was the independant suspension car. But he flipped down the straight after the car started bobbling.
Charles, CRA didn't race at Attica, they had a race at Millstream. Not sure about SCRA.

The Sammy wreck was at Hales Corners, WI, a s***hole of a track. Gerry Olson gave Sammy a bunch of money to be there. Big Steve made a comment that the "last time that Sammy raced without a wing was at Ascot and he crashed in turn one during quals, hope he makes it to turn two this time." Sammy crashed in turn two, we all looked over at Steve and he was laughing his a** off.

Damn froze to death at Granite City in 1989.

Results of the 1991 tour races at Knoxville, Iowa.

http://www.scrafan.com/results/cra/910510kville.html

http://www.scrafan.com/results/cra/910511kville.html

1990 Knoxville.
http://www.scrafan.com/results/cra/900513kville.html
Last edited by Vukie; 6/9/11 at 1:28 PM.

1 member likes this post:
6/9/11, 1:36 PM   #42
fish

Photo gallery from Millstream (Oh.) Speedway - May 19, 1991

http://fscpictorial.smugmug.com/1991.../7655013_btW57

Jim Fisher
www.fscpictorial.com

6/9/11, 1:36 PM   #43
CRA91

Quote:
Thanx Terry and Rex for the clarity. I remember bits and pieces from that time. Have the 91 tour on tape but the case of the tape is broken.

I do remember. GOOD TIMES!

And yes, I remember Frankie and Leland getting together at Union County. Man did Frankie every get a booing. It was his first wingless win. Also at that race, I thought Billy boat (Bromme #6?) was going to be pinched between another car and the wall on the backstretch. One of the neatest moves I ever seen as he pitched the car sideways, Dove under that car and passed him going into three. (Had to see it to believe it)

Chuck, one who is glad this thread was hijacked. Like I said, Sprintweek is great. CRA tours were fantastic! I kinda liken it to when USAC goes out to Perris and the west in Nov. But thats just three or four races. Not ten.

PS. Weren't one of these races held at Attica? I remember going there for one where I talked to MClure about the car they were racing (Mid cage downtube)

Also I wasn't there but on my tape. Sammy came out to try I think at Grand Forks???? Flipped it in qualifying. It was in the Annett car. Not sure if it was the independant suspension car. But he flipped down the straight after the car started bobbling.
Chuck,
Attica was the race after Union Co.then it was Terre Haute as the final race.Lealand didn't run at Attica and Terre Haute got rained out.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester
6/9/11, 1:46 PM   #44
Vukie

My bad, I see the Attica race in the Buzz Rose book. The biggest disappointment was Path Valley, PA. Hot laps were great and the feature was all huggypole.

6/9/11, 2:04 PM   #45
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Charles, CRA didn't race at Attica, they had a race at Millstream. Not sure about SCRA.

The Sammy wreck was at Hales Corners, WI, a s***hole of a track. Gerry Olson gave Sammy a bunch of money to be there. Big Steve made a comment that the "last time that Sammy raced without a wing was at Ascot and he crashed in turn one during quals, hope he makes it to turn two this time." Sammy crashed in turn two, we all looked over at Steve and he was laughing his a** off.

1990 Knoxville.
At Hales Corner I loved it when the announcer said "Here comes Sammy,now we will find out how fast the track really is!" Well Sammy never made it out of turn two,he flipped and landed by his own hauler. They were parked next to us and as soon as the car was back at their pits they loaded it up,got their show up money and left.

Brent Kaeding,who won that race at Hales Corner was being interviewed after the race when asked " have you ever seen a track like Hales Corner?" Brent repiled," No, I haven't and I hope to never see one like it again!" (LOL)

Yes it was cold that year at Granite City,we were running 2 cars Mike Sweeney in #91 and Rickey Hood in #191, Mike won and Rickey ran 3rd,but after the races it was so cold that 3 of us loaded 2 cars and all of our support equipement in about 10 min. as we were running around to stay warm and get into that warm truck cab as quick as poossible since it was slightly snowing at that point!

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Quote:
My bad, I see the Attica race in the Buzz Rose book. The biggest disappointment was Path Valley, PA. Hot laps were great and the feature was all huggypole.
Yea that was the only race I've ever seen Lealand and Hewitt get lapped in the main event.They were the only two even trying to run the top.

6/9/11, 2:10 PM   #46
Vukie

CRA Sprints at Path Valley.
Attached Images
27166_1363525800941_1015494780_31102799_5675677_n.jpg (76.5 KB, 53 views)

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester
6/9/11, 2:25 PM   #47
deannalynn

Quote:
Chuck, one who is glad this thread was hijacked.
It seems there's two ways racing people see me as I've moved back to Indianapolis: 1) I'm an 'outsider' with no bag of money who will never do anything for racing, I'm a joke or 2) They see what happens when you take a girl out of the dirt track, but you can't take the dirt track out of the girl.

I want to sincerely thank the guys who are willing to take a stroll down memory lane with me on this board and answer my questions so I can at least be a part of passing the history on to the next generation. I might never get the bomber I always dreamed about or even a powder puff ride, but at least I can explain to my kids why I always thought that would be so cool.
Last edited by deannalynn; 6/9/11 at 2:28 PM.

1 member likes this post: CRA91
6/9/11, 4:52 PM   #48
chillyrn

Quote:

1990 Knoxville.
This is a great thread... misdirection apparently CAN be a good thing! Being born in the early 80s and from Knoxville, the first time I saw a nonwing race was the 1990 show at Knoxville. I had just turned 9 yrs old, but will never forget the drive that Billy Boat put on that night! He blew up in qualifying, tried to get the car running for the heat, but had some issues. So he started last in the B and put on an awesome drive to win it. He started at the tail of the A, and I believe had worked his way to the front again... and blew another motor. I also remember seeing the LR go down for McSpadden - and wondering if it would last! I didn't remember that he changed it under a late-race caution, but that was a long time ago! It was very cool to get to see those CA guys in person that I had only read about in Speed Sport and Open Wheel (RIP).

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
6/9/11, 5:18 PM   #49
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I know what ya mean Deanalynn, However racing and racing people in general are great. There are some elitist out there but most are very very friendly.

Times like this thread make you say, I was there, I seen that! I participated in that!

Like the Mopar Million, Probably only ten thousand of us were there but you'd think the world was. Talking with Dickie in a empty grandstand after the show, The glow on his face was priceless.

Staab's first and only USAC win, I did nothing but try to balance some used marbled up tires for him. Drove up to IRP after work. Watched the whole race from outside the track, Walked under the tunnel and am in the Victory Lane Photo. Not because I wanted to be. Because he said. Come on, Were going to victory lane! FLAT RR and all
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/9/11 at 5:19 PM.

6/9/11, 6:15 PM   #50
deannalynn

Last edited by deannalynn; 7/5/11 at 12:41 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unpaid CRA bounties