IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic
1/9/09, 4:08 PM   #41
Re: Race Track Locator: Historic
racinsooner

So, at Jungle park, is the circle "gravel" road where the track was or what? It's hard to tell, just wondering.

1/9/09, 5:22 PM   #42
Metal66

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinsooner View Post
So, at Jungle park, is the circle "gravel" road where the track was or what? It's hard to tell, just wondering.

Yes the big circle is where the track actually was and was part pavement and part dirt.The smaller track on the inside was only used one year(1960) i think.

1/9/09, 6:28 PM   #43
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
:O:

:rolling

Whos all coming saturday??

Hopefully alot of people
Weather forecast certainly isn't looking promising. Maybe they will be wrong and we won't get what they are predicting.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/9/09, 6:32 PM   #44
Metal66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast View Post
I found the remains of an old dirt track just south of Martinsville off US31. Some people I used to hang out with had spoken of Turkey Track Speedway but I didn't think it was real. Looking at Terreserver aerial photos, it is really there. Does anyone know about this place? When it may have ran and what they raced?

The trees have taken over the site, but you can still see the outline in the aerial photos.
Do you have the pic of the satelitte image of the track?.I`de like to see it.

1/9/09, 6:46 PM   #45
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast View Post
I found the remains of an old dirt track just south of Martinsville off US31. Some people I used to hang out with had spoken of Turkey Track Speedway but I didn't think it was real. Looking at Terreserver aerial photos, it is really there. Does anyone know about this place? When it may have ran and what they raced?

The trees have taken over the site, but you can still see the outline in the aerial photos.

I found this, to the east of IN37, south of Martinsville, on Turkey Track Road (Put "turkey track" in Google Earth search).
Last edited by cmakin; 1/9/09 at 6:53 PM.

1/10/09, 12:33 AM   #46
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Weather forecast certainly isn't looking promising. Maybe they will be wrong and we won't get what they are predicting.
WHEN YOU GET DONE THERE DRIVE OVER TO GREENVILLE OHIO AND CHECK OUT THE OLD SPEEDWAY SOUTH END OF TOWN! 1'2 MILE DIRT! IT STILL THERE!!!!:applaud:

1/10/09, 11:25 AM   #47
TQ2M

I once heard a story that Earl Baltes had started on a 1 mile track adjacent to Eldora and had changed his mind and abandoned it. I dismissed this as a legend. Google Earth has always been blurry over the Eldora area but when I used Terraserver it was clear! Is there a shadow of a mile track to the southeast of the 1/2 mile or is that something else?
Joe Monroe

1/10/09, 11:34 AM   #48
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ2M View Post
I once heard a story that Earl Baltes had started on a 1 mile track adjacent to Eldora and had changed his mind and abandoned it. I dismissed this as a legend. Google Earth has always been blurry over the Eldora area but when I used Terraserver it was clear! Is there a shadow of a mile track to the southeast of the 1/2 mile or is that something else?
Joe Monroe
Joe,

I personally haven't been back there to see it but a friend of mine supposedly went back there with Earl and some other folks. He said that it was a number of years ago and they were camping when Earl dropped by and they offered him a cold one. They asked him about it and he said that he would take them back there to see it. That is as much as I know about it. Fact or fiction, you be the judge.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/10/09, 12:43 PM   #49
Dusty Goggles

Speaking of old speedways, check this site out. Get something to drink and a comfortable chair. You're gonna be there a while.

http://wthompson4.sports.officelive.com/default.aspx

DG :wink

1/10/09, 12:59 PM   #50
Dusty Goggles

Speaking of Huston Bundy and Armscamp Speedway. He is a photo taken by John Hyland shortly before losing his life there.
DG
Last edited by Dusty Goggles; 7/4/09 at 3:27 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic