IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred - New Home?
10/24/22, 6:49 PM   #41
Re: Hoosier Hundred - New Home?
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schaub View Post
You can't reason with horse people be they horse owners or horse's azzes. Writing anyone associated with the fair grounds confirms my statement
The gambling industry has a lot of clout in Indiana. That is who got this done, even though I agree with you.

2 members like this post: Offroadrace_814, tirespinner
10/24/22, 7:14 PM   #42
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Wasn’t the Hut run at the Burg once also? All those venues dirt. Part of my point is that the competition level on the pavement is one reason why they shouldn’t associate the two. Not that it’s the same but what’s the big Late Model race they run at Winchester in the fall every year, the 400 something or other? You wouldn’t move it to ELDORA and call it the same name? Brent you make a good point, myself included should have done something to try to stop “City Hall” I did nothing, and not to make excuses but if Indianapolis can’t see the value in a race track of such historical importance, I felt we were doomed. The fact that it’s even considered in the Motorsport Capital of the World speaks to me loudly about what our relevance is to most people. Brent, did any of them write you back?
Asphalt or dirt makes no difference to me. Indianapolis did nothing to shut down this track. It was the state. Unlike Circle City where people complained and tried to get the track shut down. I doubt that people around the fairgrounds complained at all. If they did, they sure kept it quiet.
I actually received a nice letter from the Governor, thanking me for my concern, and thanking me for making them aware the situation. I was able to talk to my state rep. He was nice, and understood my concerns, but was not wanting to make waves over one person. I can't really blame him. He would have gone from someone who had a lot of influence, to being an outcast.

For those who complain about the fair board, remember they are appointed by the Governor. I bet it has been a long time since anyone connected to auto racing has been on that board.

One last thought. A week ago, I went to Springfield for the Silver Crown race. They had several events going on that day. They didn't charge to park. I have never been to the Indiana State Fair for anything that they didn't charge to park. Springfield does charge during the fair, and I understand that. My buddy and I watched POWRi at Macon after the rain out and stayed for a concert on Sunday. All he kept saying was how much better that fair was than Indiana. I agreed. Bad people running things effect every part of the experiance, and no one wins. Except the gambling industry in this case.

5 members like this post: Honest-Sam, oppweld, rick42, tirespinner, TNRustler
10/24/22, 10:53 PM   #43
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Is HUT a short for a certain name or meaning? I mean Hoosier (Hoosier State)

Why not Circle City and make it D2s They show up in mass. Full up midget race anymore, ya never know.
My wife is a Terre Haute native, and I attended college in Terre Haute (no, NOT ISU). As it was explained to me, HUT was slang for Haute, as in Terre Haute, which was frequently called Terre Hut.

INITIALLY the HUT 100 was always held on the Sunday AFTER the Hoosier Hundred at the ISF, which was almost always the first Sat. AFTER Labor Day. It frequently drew drivers from the Championship Trail in Indianapolis over to Terre Haute to participate in the midget race.

Not sure if this answers your question or not.

10/25/22, 5:12 AM   #44
Blackduce

Anybody remember the USAC Stock Cars race at the. Indy Fairgrounds. Pretty good racing also.

Lynn

10/25/22, 1:25 PM   #45
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post
Anybody remember the USAC Stock Cars race at the. Indy Fairgrounds. Pretty good racing also.

Lynn
That was a little before my time, but I did see them at a couple of early 4 Crowns. I always thought they were more entertaining than when they went to late models.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, tirespinner
10/25/22, 6:13 PM   #46
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post

Lynn
I never saw the USAC stock cars at the ISF, but saw them a few times in the late 60’s/early 70’s at the THAT. Don Smith and Bill Hill seemed to always get AJ Foyt and Roger McCluskey to show up at Terre Haute, and the racing was usually spectacular.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, Hubie48, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred - New Home?