IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
TQ29m (Online)
  #41 7/17/11 1:42 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
TQ's are a lot like quarter midgets. I raced quarters 45 years ago and the engine there rules specified was the old continental red seal that was an antique back then. They kept this rule up until several years ago and prices for these engines got higher and higher. Now they have two clubs but at least they got new motor rules a real ohv that works stock almost as good as the old "AA fuel motor". They also are getting away from teaching kids how to drive right, taking away calls on blocking, charging, and rough driving, but that would be another post.
We have been running the minisprint toy cars for about 20 years now. Or engine was made in 2008. I had a 750 honda motor cycle in 1974 and it was fast,but times change. Or motor is geared to turn 13500 rpm's and make about 225 hp stock on alchol. Try that with a 2 valve 35 year old 836 honda. Now here is the problem with TQ rules on a small 1/5 to 1/4 mile track we gear around 12.5 to 13.5 to 1 gear. What kind of a ring gear could we find to get that rato with that trick quick change. If any of you guys would like to come and play with us and our toy cars come on. By the way the 750 cc suzucki was considered a boat ancor in mini sprints many years ago and our track times are usually as fast or faster than the sprint cars we share race dates with.
I don't understand your interest, in something you have no involvment in, you do your thing, the way you want to, and the TQ's will do their thing, the way they want to. And yes, I too remember the quarter's, and how expensive the motors got, only the very rich could afford an engine, but only if they had some good rich friend, to get them close to the owners, of what was left of the engine parts. But, I didn't have a dog in their fight, and you don't have one in ours, nor I in yours, so I won't make any attempt to tell you what to do. I have been running a Yamaha, yes, Yamaha, since 05, no problem getting it geared for the bull rings, with a Winters midget QC, I can get down to 12.7 to 1, and if I need to go lower, I can do it with tires, as we don't have a spec tire, and yes, it will turn 13.5 no problem, if you don't do what everyone else does, there are options. We have several "modern" engines running, multivalve, twin cam, however, we are limited to 700cc with the multivalve engines, to keep from opening up a can of worms, and either killing the division, or out costing the owners, it's a long, hard pull, to get some away to the modern engines, mostly because they assume they cost more, which is totally not true, with a modern engine, there is no need for special rods, pistons, cams, valves, nothing, just bypass the trans, so you're driving off the crank, and have at it, I've gone a step further, and made parts to adapt the old ign, oil system, and FI, so the current parts they are using on the Honda's, will cross over and bolt on to the newer engines, but in the past 6 yrs, have not sold that many conversions, why, a perceived cost, and not knowing, is what I lay it on. A low mile engine off ebay, can be had for a lot less than 1k, then put that much again in the conversion, and you now have what a set of rods, and pistons would cost for the Honda, and it'll run at least 2 seasons, my first one, we ran 80 nights, and it is now a spare, and it didn't have a new part in it, hell, the parts weren't even from the same engine, they hadn't seen each other, til I put them together, brgs, rings, nothing. You can continue to bash, if that's your choice, but do it to each other, we don't need your advice, it's a different game, played with different people, and different ideas, and, it's easy. Bob!

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Ambrose93&39:
So somebody tell me why (other than it's in the rules) TQers won't even consider the possibility of bringing back chain drive? The simplicity and the lower cost alone should be enough to want to run chain drive! There's nothing hard about it, take the motor out of the bike and put it in the car as is!
Ok, then you got yet another bunch of mini-sprints, yeah it's simple, but that isn't what is wanted, if it were, the current TQ's would have disapeared years ago, just how many classes/divisions of mini-sprint cars do you want, there must be at least 15 now. Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Ambrose93&39 (Offline)
  #42 7/17/11 1:58 PM
No you wouldn't Bob because you still have the weight, length, and width rules, 13" tires, etc.. If you were allowed to run a chain on your car, you'd be kickin their asses all over the place because you wouldn't be loosing so much HP through the QC rear-end! Plus it'd be a lot easier on the ol' pocket book too. I'm just sayin.....
DAD (Offline)
  #43 7/17/11 2:10 PM
Bob I'm just an old fart that reads IOW and when I see a post that intest me I read it and I have been known to respond to a few. TQ racing Is old school. My dad raced with Al Davis back when they ran wheel barrow wheels I was about 10 at the time and thought they were neat. You have been with them I would guess a long time and are quite set in your ways. Im only 64 years and still thinking young. They arent building quite as many 3/4 chassis as they used to and the class is going to die of attrition if you don,t watch out. There is nothing wrong with change. by the way the new 600 cc yamaha and kawasaki are turning 14500 to 15000 rpm's there goes that quick change gear again. Al invented the first quick change for TQ's back in the 50's perhaps somebody as smart as Al will come along with a quick change with an additional reduction in it so you guy's could get up to date with your engine program. Your motor is back in the 90's we have come a long way 20 years and if somebody doesn't come aong and stir some @#$% You will stay in the good old past. Put a TQ driver in a !000cc or even in a 600cc upright and I would be hard to get him back in a TQ you need more horse power.
TQ29m (Online)
  #44 7/17/11 2:16 PM
Like I said before, Collin/ Lynn, if I, or any of these guys, prefered a chain drive car, that's what they'd have, myself, I prefer to do my own engine work, build my own cars, do it all, that's why we still do it "ourway", you guys ran TQ's for years, your Dad got most all his seat time in a TQ, now you have mini-sprints, leave us alone, we're not bothering you, why bother us. Just sayin! Bob!

---------- Post added at 02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Like I said, DAD, you do yours, we'll do ours, don't look like it's gonna die for a good while. Why does it concern you anyway, if either is still around in 20 yrs, what will be the argument then. quit trying to intimidate us, it ain't workin, get over it! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
DAD (Offline)
  #45 7/17/11 2:29 PM
Bob my back up motor is an 2004 kawasaki I have owned it since 2004 and never had the head of of it I ran it for 4 years very hard. I took it off because the 2008 had a more advanced design. It cost me $1900.00 on ebay. If it blows I'll buy another and put it on. I'm a tinker by heart I built my own injection and test on an old 30 year old clayton Dyno. I can't tell you how much hp is there but I can tell you that my a/f ratio is spot on and I'm not going to fill my crank case with un used alky. If you get a chance try to make one our races I would like to talk to you in person. I still think your cars are neat even if you run on those big old tires now. It isn't any fun fighting amongst our self maybe get some outside agitators in to get people thinking.

DAD
Ambrose93&39 (Offline)
  #46 7/17/11 2:33 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
Like I said before, Collin/ Lynn, if I, or any of these guys, prefered a chain drive car, that's what they'd have, myself, I prefer to do my own engine work, build my own cars, do it all, that's why we still do it "ourway", you guys ran TQ's for years, your Dad got most all his seat time in a TQ, now you have mini-sprints, leave us alone, we're not bothering you, why bother us. Just sayin! Bob!

---------- Post added at 02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Like I said, DAD, you do yours, we'll do ours, don't look like it's gonna die for a good while. Why does it concern you anyway, if either is still around in 20 yrs, what will be the argument then. quit trying to intimidate us, it ain't workin, get over it! Bob
Like you just said,"If any of these guys preferred a chain drive car, that's what they'd have." So why stop them? It's obviously not a problem with you now. There will always be a place in my heart for tq's because that's where I started, just would like to see some advancement with them that's all.
Bradleyracing86 (Offline)
  #47 7/17/11 2:37 PM
Dont the Aussies turn there r1's sideways... ? They call em speedcars or something?
Posted using Mobile Device
Ambrose93&39 (Offline)
  #48 7/17/11 2:41 PM
Originally Posted by bradleyracing86:
dont the aussies turn there r1's sideways... ? They call em speedcars or something?
posted using mobile device
lol!!
Bradleyracing86 (Offline)
  #49 7/17/11 2:44 PM
Ha ha don't laugh Colin! Ima serious! You ever get a new dog and have it tear the hell out of your house? That's what happens when "change" is presented... Lol
Posted using Mobile Device
DAD (Offline)
  #50 7/17/11 2:44 PM
I't hard doing or thing with them damn Ambrose boy's in their too wish you guys had them back. Maybe only one in each group.

DAD
Closed Thread