IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield Observations
8/24/11, 11:21 PM   #41
Re: Springfield Observations
miledirt

That is an awesome pic... look at Swindell's right rear bitin' hard.
I love Pevely, I love Haubstadt, but when DuQuoin is right, at night, under the lights... there is nothing like it. It's a once year "merry Christmas" like event!

8/24/11, 11:50 PM   #42
johnnythunderhead

would be nice if the dill do at speed report could get a legendary driver like brian tylers name strait/ its TYLER, not tailor speed report dill do dude!

8/25/11, 9:18 AM   #43
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I think if it could have been sucessfull, Earl would have finished it.
Earl didn't finish it because he didn't need it. USAC decided to add 1/2 miles to the SC series & gave him the Silver Crown date he wanted. They felt there just weren't enough Dirt Miles to make a viable series.

As much as I love the Dirt Cars & would love to own my own team, I question the economics of a 5 races series for Dirt Cars from a sponsorship point of view or the cost of running both the Dirt & Pavement series.

Then again, none of my other Hobbies are self-supporting either!

steiny
Last edited by sprntr; 8/25/11 at 7:18 PM.

8/25/11, 9:38 AM   #44
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Back before USAC tried it's first of many unsuccessful suicide attempts (removing the dirt from the champ car trail) the dirt miles were all SRO. The races mattered more to the casual fan because they could see someone who ran Indy
This was before media-wise people pushed NAPCAR into America's living room via TV. While the folks in charge of the Championship Trail rested on their laurels (that is a common media phrase which really means "sat on their a$$"), champ car racing at places like the Springfield, Indianapolis, Detroit, Langhorne, Phoenix, etc. dirt miles slid into the past, to be gradually followed by the majority of paved oval track events.
Enjoy 'em while you can.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
8/25/11, 12:01 PM   #45
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I'm glad to see the positive outweigh the negative on this thread. Springfield was better than in recent years. If you consider hotlaps as 1/3 of the show tt's 1/3 and the race 1/3 then over 2/3's of the show had a fast, exciting track to watch. Having the high groove early made for two lanes going into the corner for much of the race. USAC should strive for a cushion early in the day like they did by NOT packing it to make for a better race later. Watch 1963 Springfield on youtube for really cool track conditions. Foyt ran away with it way more than Tyler did, only difference was that it was an Indy race then. The doom and gloom will subside as long as they keep doing the track right for more action. The seats will start to refill when word spreads that the action is good again. There was a huge crowd at Hoosier 100. It's good to hear some young people chime in on how they like the dirt mile racing. Like I said before, hot laps and tt's were worth the price of admission. I hope they do the track right for DuQuoin and we'll see an awesome show. It's worth skipping a weekly track to see these once a year gems!

2 members like this post: John P Huss, SpfldMile
8/25/11, 4:22 PM   #46
John P Huss

Throwback Racing comments were awesome. Like Beechler said"To
bad the Dirt cars don't count for the Indy Car Championship. Bet
if we had front engine Indy Cars they would be counting the points.
Best Regards,
John

8/25/11, 5:48 PM   #47
Jack Dupp

You just cannot beat the bare knuckled brawl of a non wing sprint car race. A Silver Crown race is different, a unique combination of grace and brutality. Two dozen screaming, snarling injected V-8 motors at full song being manhandled at the extreme edge of traction and sanity for 100 laps is to quote IOW alumni ISFclassic poetry in motion”. I envy those Indiana residents with a choice of sprint car venues at hand each weekend. Still, I would not pass up the rare experience of a champ car race on dirt, especially under the lights at DuQuoin.
http://youtu.be/j-wg5MDwdqE

2 members like this post: Mud Packer, sw1911
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield Observations