IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
dirt40 (Offline)
  #41 10/28/16 8:13 AM
Even in quarter midgets there are rules for helmet clearance to the roll cage. I see a lot of guys with their head too close to the roll cage, and seat belts stretch.
Backitin (Offline)
  #42 10/28/16 8:48 AM
Originally Posted by dirt40:
Even in quarter midgets there are rules for helmet clearance to the roll cage. I see a lot of guys with their head too close to the roll cage, and seat belts stretch.
Seat belts stretch, the human body stretches even more. Bad combo if you have clearance issues.
2 Likes: racenut69, Racer1039
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #43 10/28/16 11:24 AM
". A small child could tear it ( body panels ) off the car."

Is there a video of this?
4 Likes: luckybuc97, racenut69, TQ29m, trannyman
Rhody (Offline)
  #44 10/28/16 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Backitin:
front wheel drive would do on a winged car, help them not get sideways. They hate that.
Nah, we just hate slowing down for the corners.
Nut'n but Dirt (Offline)
  #45 10/28/16 1:04 PM
In all honesty, I don't believe "children" not able to drive a real car on the street should be allowed to drive a 900 hp sprint car. Just sayin!
15 Likes: bigq11, captrat, jaythorne, jdull99, LJC77, mscs20, Racer1039, racer5c, Ray3, sprintracer82, sprntr, the visitor, Tom23, Tony74, treecitytornado
chastaj (Offline)
  #46 10/28/16 1:11 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
". A small child could tear it ( body panels ) off the car."

Is there a video of this?
I know you think I am being sarcastic, but my 6 yr old wanted to help on the car one night so I told him to go take the hood and nose off the car. By the time I got to the garage he had yanked ut hard enough to crack around the dzus fasteners and literally tore it off. Yes the holes were wore and loose, but its possible
2 Likes: jim goerge, mc/rider
Backitin (Offline)
  #47 10/28/16 1:13 PM
Originally Posted by Rhody:
Nah, we just hate slowing down for the corners.
Good one ! Always in a hurry.
interpreter66 (Offline)
  #48 10/28/16 4:19 PM
Originally Posted by chastaj:
I know you think I am being sarcastic, but my 6 yr old wanted to help on the car one night so I told him to go take the hood and nose off the car. By the time I got to the garage he had yanked ut hard enough to crack around the dzus fasteners and literally tore it off. Yes the holes were wore and loose, but its possible
Holy crap what are you feeding that kid 🏋🏋🏋🏋🏋
ChanceDHolley (Offline)
  #49 10/28/16 4:26 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Now it's sprint car but Cooper Clouse and a couple others have been running Hawk Chassis and Coopers about six five and says he has a good four or five inch from helmet top to bars.

The Hawks kinda have a continuous rake from the nerfs to the rear uprights behind the seat vs to the front uprights and level out.
I helped push CC back in to his trailer at the Sprintacular. I'm not sure if it was a hawk chassis or not, because he drove for SC Racing that night, but I can verify that he had at least 8 inches of head room in that thing. Also saw CC take a humongous hit at Lernerville in his Hawk #14 and walk away. The Hawk held up admirably to the edge of a Jersey barrier impacting the down tubes 6 inches from the front of the cage. The impact threw the tail tank about 40 feet from the car, but the drivers compartment was completely intact. Hawk definitely builds a safe product.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, jdull99
Mattmac05 (Offline)
  #50 10/28/16 5:32 PM
Head clearance and the opening on the top of the cage is the biggest problem. Some people don't like the halo head bar, there are some valid concerns that have not been proved or disproved yet, but the least they could do is get an extra tall cage. A halo bar or 5" head clearance should be mandated.

To have the attitude that racing is dangerous and we shouldn't try to make it safer because they are too old fashion to accept change is beyond idiotic. With modern engineering and technology there are ways to make racing safer without taking away from the racing in a considerable manner. Those drivers you see have kids, families to support, so any fans'racing experience comes secondary to that drivers safety.. period
2 Likes: jdull99, Racer1039