IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed
4/14/09, 8:57 PM   #41
Re: Gold Crown Story on Speed
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmoredesign View Post
It's taken me a while to answer this one. Thanks for the input, this post made me think about how to find us, and how to tell everyone who we are. So since this post we have been developing the websites. The temporary Gold Crown information site, which uses the promotion material our sponsors are using to show what the series is about, is now up. The other websites and links are now going up. www.ashmoredesign.com has a Gold Crown page and launch button to the www.goldcrownchampionship.com website. If you look on Joe Devin's website, www.drcchassis.com then pick the buy-your-DRC-today! button you will see the Gold Crown car is now on there. We are in the process of building Rodney Weesner's Rock Chassis website at www.rockchassis.com, the temp page is up now and Riley www.rileytech.com is working on putting a Gold Crown button on the products pop up bar. That should be on there really soon.

We are now working on the full size body panels for the cars. As soon as a delivery date is known we'll let you know. Still a lot more to do but even with this slow economy we are progressing quite well and so far we are still on target to run the cars this year.
Quote:
Quote:
Ashmore Design

Bruce Ashmore is obviously a very talented and accomplished guy considering his former years with Lola Cars , the Indy Reynard car development and his work with Ganassi.
But this is also his second go-round on a USAC project having been instrumental in the former New Generation Silver Crown car built by C&R Racing.
This is the car that is most closely related to the definition of ugly.
Yet , Mr. Ashmore has distanced himself to that association by stating to Bob Gates in a NSSN article , quote - " I don't know who was responsible , I can guess , but there's no reason that the looks of the car had to be forced on us ". I'm not convinced that Ashmore will be getting his way this time , either.
Ashmore Design doesn't seem to have a web-site , least I can't find it.

Devin Race Cars

They don't seem to have a web-site either other than the DRC site. This is Joe Devin of the DRC Chassis Co., Gasoline Alley , Indy. DRC is largely a manufacturer of Sprint Car chassis and has had great success in that endeavor. The DRC site makes no mention of a Gold Crown project. DRC was a former manufacturer of the New Generation Silver Crown car.

Riley Technologies

Riley was formerly here in Indy ; moved the entire operation to Mooresville , North Carolina in 2006. Riley is the primary supplier of the Daytona Prototype for the Rolex Grand Am ; also projects with Porsche , Mazda and Corvette. Riley seems to have a lot on their plate already. The Riley web-site , http://www.rileytech.com also makes no mention of a Gold Crown project. Riley also constructed the former New Generation Silver Crown car.

Rock Chassis

Never heard of 'em. Has anyone else ?
They don't seem to have a web-site either.

It's taken me a while to answer this one. Thanks for the input, this post made me think about how to find us, and how to tell everyone who we are. So since this post we have been developing the websites. The temporary Gold Crown information site, which uses the promotion material our sponsors are using to show what the series is about, is now up. The other websites and links are now going up. www.ashmoredesign.com has a Gold Crown page and launch button to the www.goldcrownchampionship.com website. If you look on Joe Devin's website, www.drcchassis.com then pick the buy-your-DRC-today! button you will see the Gold Crown car is now on there. We are in the process of building Rodney Weesner's Rock Chassis website at www.rockchassis.com, the temp page is up now and Riley www.rileytech.com is working on putting a Gold Crown button on the products pop up bar. That should be on there really soon.

We are now working on the full size body panels for the cars. As soon as a delivery date is known we'll let you know. Still a lot more to do but even with this slow economy we are progressing quite well and so far we are still on target to run the cars this year.
Are these the same person -- Bruce Ashmore, series coordinator, and Bruce Ashmore of Ashmore Design? Isn't this a HUGE conflict of interest? Wow! I'm scratching my head on this one.

4/14/09, 9:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Are these the same person -- Bruce Ashmore, series coordinator, and Bruce Ashmore of Ashmore Design? Isn't this a HUGE conflict of interest? Wow! I'm scratching my head on this one.
People complain when the owners aren't consulted. People complain when the owners are consulted.

Just another Tuesday for the United States Auto Club.

4/15/09, 9:26 AM   #43
ashmoredesign

Quote:
Yes i am the same person. I first got into this project because I believed in the concept. There was a reason for it to exist and a passionate group of people that owned the cars. I felt that with a new look and more cars on the grid then we would have a product that people would want. I haven't wavered from that first thought on day one, which was actually in January 2006 in Phoenix. The main reason I got involved so heavily though was because this car really works. Not only can this be the Destination Series of USAC but it will work as a training ground to take drivers from traditional open wheel into the Indy 500. I believe as the IndyCar series grows they will increase the percentage of the number of road tracks and some of this increase will come from adding more overseas races. The majority if not all of the full time IndyCar team owners will be forced by their sponsors to hire foreign road racing talent, with the added pressure from adding drivers from the Country hosting the new races. It is perceived as being easier to teach a good road racer to compete on an oval than it is to teach someone who has grown up on ovals to be competitive on a road course.

So as the Gold Crown Championship developed I found there was more of a need to build and guide the series than there was to build cars. If anyone wants to purchase the car building side of my business then I am very open to entertaining offers.

I have been careful to bring everyone into all the discussions and then as we make the decisions. The body GM helped us design for instance will fit all the existing chassis. To update an existing "New Generation Silver Crown" car for Gold Crown racing is relatively inexpensive and there is definitely no need to purchase a new car to be competitive. Full disclosure is the key to the success of this project. So you do have an interesting point and it certainly wasn't my intention to run this series when I first got involved but I have a vision of what the championship is going to be like and so far it is on track to get there.

4/15/09, 6:08 PM   #44
sc96

Not one person that has a financial stake in this series has any problem with Bruce designing,building and being the series coordinator!! We are all in this together its a team effort on all parts. Heck I am going to switch some of the stuff we run on the Rock Chassis to the same stuff that is on Bruce's cars. So when it comes to parts needed at a race we can interchange and not everyone will need to carry around 2 of everything. Bruce is an asset to this series and he brings a lot of knowledge that is coming in very useful.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed