IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #31 7/15/13 3:37 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner:
USAC is part of the Smackdown.

I could be wrong but USAC pitched the idea to the O'Connors.

Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you, Bill. I was wrong about the Smackdown. I thought it was an open sprint contest.

------------

Carrying on with the topic, and what USAC brings, let me ask this question:

If we could wave a magic wand and run ISW w/o USAC, with all purses being equal, same dates, all the same tracks, all of those tracks getting the same share they are getting now, etc., w/o USAC what would you think the car count would be? More? Slightly more? Same? Less? Slightly less?

And WHY?
Tumey's 55 (Offline)
  #32 7/15/13 3:42 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
The last show before USAC came on board had 13 cars. Only 2 guys ran all the races. The stands were empty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I could not agree more, it ain't broke. Apparently USAC brings the best equipment, best drivers, and the most fans. I can only attend one ISW show but based on my small sample USAC also brings the highest intensity. I can't explain why but the result speaks for itself. This is not to demean weekly shows which are also great in Indiana. ISW with USAC is special,at least for the fans, can't speak for owners or drivers.

Posted via Mobile Device
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish, Indy1808, rdzsprint, The Old Coyote
SprintManDave (Offline)
  #33 7/15/13 3:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner:
To answer the question... Yes, ISW could be done without USAC but I don't think that is a good idea. I wish ISW included every non-wing sanction.
MSCS puts on a good show as well as KISS.
used to be (Offline)
  #34 7/15/13 4:19 PM
I m on my way to Indiana for the second year in a roll. Dont, ' attend many races at home but will drive 1200 miles because it is usac sprints. It's about tradition for me.

Posted via Mobile Device
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish, Midget 89
sp6967 (Offline)
  #35 7/15/13 4:32 PM
the purse would be cut in half if the promoters ran isw.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." President Ronald Reagan
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, Midget 89, opnwhlmnd
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #36 7/15/13 5:16 PM
Eldora was actually part of ISW once or twice. USAC was experimenting with wings and car counts were dismal at some tracks and promotors ran ISW started, USAC was not involved.

USAC has been great for both tracks and USAC. Some tracks survive on this event. LITTERALLY because they lose money on almost every non special show.

Usac and especially Sprint Week is great for driver exposure, Cant tell you how many Nascar and Indycar personalities I've seen at ISW events over the years. Yeah, we seem to lose one or two drivers every year and one of these NQer runners steps up the next year to take their place.

It ain't broke don't ruin it.. Maybe ten car groups qualifyng but still single car. But theres nothing wrong with the format.. Its not USAC's fault everyone wants to run it, In fact its a testament to how good it is.

As far as the stacked heats, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF IS and so is the B's.

See you at Terre Haute and LPS!

Charles Nungester
8 Likes: BrentTFunk, dstensland, fish, FishBurger, jim goerge, Midget 89, OTSNWR, The Old Coyote
Vukie (Offline)
  #37 7/15/13 5:45 PM
Indiana Sprint Week before USAC came on board was nothing special. Crowds were all right but not like these days. I'm talking about the years when they ran wings and non wing. I really don't remember huge crowds for those years.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, DaveP63, fish, Indy1808, Pat O'Connor Fan
Joe@ScaleSprints (Offline)
  #38 7/15/13 5:51 PM
We went to Kokomo for the first time in like 2 years this passed Saturday. Why? Because it was SprintWeek and I knew we'd get to see the best.....Stanbrough, Darland, Clauson, Hines, Bacon etc etc all in 1 night on 1 track. I live in Rochester, 45 minutes straight up 31, so its not like "its to far" or anything for a regular show.

We handed the track $60 for pit passes then Dave Darland another $65 for 2 shirts and a hat (gladly i might add!) and had our selves a great time!
12 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, cwfan08, fish, FishBurger, HARFprez, Indy1808, Koonzee, OTSNWR, Racing_is_life, Vukie
Vukie (Offline)
  #39 7/15/13 5:55 PM
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike:
Other tracks have gone without USAC for events and have been successful. Kokomo, for example, packed them in and had a great three day show last year for the Smackdown, and are doing it again. So, yes.... you can draw big w/o USAC, but this example is one track and one place over three days.
http://kokomotribune.com/sports/x946...day-show/print

Another thing USAC brings.
"I stood there and just imagined how I would want it if I were racing there. I tried to picture how things might look from the car. A lot of thought went into this deal, plus we got a USAC sanction for 2013, which will provide first-class insurance coverage for all drivers," Tobias Jr. said

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-05-14...-racer-raceway
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, FishBurger, Indy1808, rdzsprint
ossuks (Offline)
  #40 7/15/13 6:13 PM
Sprint Week has become an event, much like the Chilli Bowl. The stands are full and the payout is minimal for the "take". There is no way the track owners are going to change Midget Week or Sprint Week. The biggest pay day of the year is not something to change. In reality USAC has about 9-10 cars that follow their series, but the perception is the lure! No different than the "Outlaws", you know the series with all the rules, but the perception of the series is solid.