IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Night One Updates
8/23/12, 11:02 PM   #31
Re: Kokomo Smackdown Night One Updates
boomer

thanks for the updates chris !!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: speed bump
8/23/12, 11:03 PM   #32
koolaid89

What happened to TMez?

8/23/12, 11:06 PM   #33
boomer

great job #32 CHASE STOCKEN !!

8/23/12, 11:08 PM   #34
JstAbvVMC

Awesome job by BC and the rest of the BCI Boyz. Theses guys are in a zone !!!

Mucho Gracias Señor Nunn for the great updates.......

Posted via Mobile Device

8/23/12, 11:15 PM   #35
sprint17jr

Way to go Chase Stockon !!!!!!!
Good luck the rest of the weekend!

5 members like this post: Dgentry51, jerrythar500, Morin Racing 98, speed bump, worm
8/23/12, 11:28 PM   #36
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid89 View Post
What happened to TMez?
he biked it pretty good late in the race

Posted via Mobile Device

8/24/12, 12:46 AM   #37
Half fast

Racing was only 4 wide...They only had 1 support class ..I didnt get to see tractors for 45 min ...Im headed to Paragon

4 members like this post: Chris Nunn, Joe@ScaleSprints, koolaid89, racefan20
8/24/12, 2:03 AM   #38
Hamby812

I'm sure Chase and the 32 team appreciate your support as he has had an awesome season running with USAC. But coming from a guy whose name gets spelled wrong regularly I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you spelt his right. It's Chase Stockon.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: jim goerge, speed bump
8/24/12, 4:41 AM   #39
Jerry Shaw

When I was a young race fan, one of my favorite things in the world was to get in the car with Dad and head to the Terre Haute Action Track. Those were the best Sundays ever. You waited in line just to get into the fairgrounds. Once you entered the jam packed parking lot, you could already start to feel the electricity. You knew the best drivers anywhere were already there waiting. They were chomping at the bit to roll out onto the track and prove who was the best, on this day. There could be only one. Nearly right off the bat, right after hot laps, you got to see one of the best things in racing. One of the best things, period. Drivers taking to the track, one at a time, pushing their machines to the absolute limit. The full throated sound of a single V-8 powerplant taxed to it's limit and then lifted ever so slightly to keep the laws of physics from sending them careening into the famed red, white and blue guardrails. On a big, bad, fast track with sweeping turns. And then, at the end of each lap, you waited. Waited to hear the time. On most days, you would have multiple fast qualifiers before they reached the end of the line. You never really knew how it was going to end, until they reached the very end.

Very few times in the days subsequent to the golden age of the Action Track have I rolled into an an atmosphere that had that type of electricity. That type of anticipation. One where you knew on this day, you were at THE place to be in the racing World. And some serious stuff was getting ready to happen and you were going to be there to witness it. That electric atmosphere was there today. When I turned off of Morgan Street, you could see that the parking lot was bulging out onto Davis Road. It was a happy scene. People standing around in groups. And you could tell most knew they were in for something special. Because it had been a long time since anything like this had happened. Some had probably never seen anything like this.

The pits were bustling. Over 40 cars and not a stroker among them. Qualifications started off really good, and like a snowball rolling down hill got better with each successive car. Bryan Clauson and Dave Darland were early fast qualifiers, at or just below the 13 second barrier. Chase Stockon then came out and knocked Darland off the hill. This drew a huge ovation from the crowd, as this underdog had exceeded expectations yet again. Several drivers, like Justin Grant and Jerry Coons then took their place on the top of the hill, by shaving few hundredths of a second off the previous fast time. Then the Modern Day Cowboy rolled onto the track, bounced off a few walls, flirted with a few more, rode several wheel stands and smashed the previous fast time by two tenths of a second!! Damion Gardner and Shane Cottle closed out the rotation by turning in second and third fast time, but neither approached the time that Clayton had set. After this set of qualifications was over and I was walking around the parking lot talking to friends, I felt like I was 8 years old again, walking around the infield of the Action Track. It was that good.

It was a really good set of heats, especially the second and third ones. One overriding theme was that fast qualifying didn't translate into transfer spots, as three out of the top six qualifiers would have to go to the B-Main to earn their way back into the A-Main. And speaking of the B-Main, I remember looking at the racing surface as the cars were rolling out for the B and noticing that the track looked like it had barely been race on. It still looked that good.

Come feature time, there were several story lines developing. Clayton and Stockon dropped back some early. Darland took the point and looked to be the man to beat. 10 laps in, Darland was still leading, but Clauson was up to 5th, from his 12th place starting position. He looked inevitable though. Like the tide. He was moving up and there was nothing anybody could do to stop him. He was a rocket on the low side and was just making it look easy, in such a tough field. Later he took the lead and appeared to be in a league of his own, as Clayton start to mount a comeback. He was back up into the top 4 when he caught the wall and took a violent ride. Many barrel rolls, not unlike Coleman Gulick's flip a couple of years ago at Lakeside. He would get out and walk away. On this restart, Darland went for broke and was keeping pace with Clauson, till he banged the wall pretty hard and lost a lot of ground, right after BC moved higher on the track, as the bottom was beginning to slow some. And also, at this time, Chase Stockon was racing back up through the field, taking positions away from Tracy Hines and Damion Gardner to move into third. As with Terre Haute in it's hey day, at the end of the day there can only be one BEST and there was very little doubt who that was tonight. It was a real good race, but it was a real dominant performance for Bryan Clauson. He's really got this place figured out and you'd better eat your Wheaties if you think you're going to show up and outrun him. Or hope he gets a flat tire.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/24/12 at 5:16 AM.

8/24/12, 6:06 AM   #40
Tumey's 55

Great night of racing and as always a nice recap Mr. Shaw. There was a good crowd last night but lots of empty seats. If you are a sprint car fan, get out to support this awesome event to ensure a repeat next year. I saw the seating chart after the race and there are plenty of good reserved seats available for tonight.

1 member likes this post: boomer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Night One Updates