IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Less costly midget engines
10/13/10, 1:14 PM   #31
Re: Less costly midget engines
Seadog

Whatever happened to the Scat V-4? Why did it never really take off? I remember Gamester and a couple others trying it for awhile.

10/14/10, 9:52 AM   #32
DAD

"RULES"

I've played with race cars for a long time, and the thing that strikes me is every time we make a rule to make racing cheeper it does just the opposite. There is no rule you can make that can keep a person from spending more money than the next, but there are many many rules that keep the poor and under financed guy out. Rules are sometimes made to exclude ideas. A friend of mine showed up at a midget race in indy with a chain drive vw and ran really good, usac quickley made chain drive a no no. I ask why no chains? They are a little cheeper than a quick change take a little more time to change gears but you can do it. They said it wasn't in the spirit of things to run a chain. Well this same guy came back a few years later with a stock block v6 and spent years getting it to run right. He got it running real good in fact won a championship with it. What to do? Simple make him cut down on his displacement and keep him from laying it over so far. Make it not competative. I was going to down load usac's rule book but I did not have enough memory left in my old computer to do it. All these rule do not make racing cheeper it just makes it impossible for a little guy to get in with ideas that might or might not work. How many cylinders is too many 4,6,8,10,12 what is the right engine 2 cycle, 4 cycle, inline, v, w, 2 valve, 4valve, 5 valve, carb, mec inj, electronic inj , who cares? Set a cid limit and the best will float up to the top. Did you see those guys at the chili bowl last year with the pocket v8 "too many cylinders." They had a better idea and it would be even better and cheeper with electronic injection. We race with 20 year old motors stressed out to the max and have to rebuild them every couple of races. One motor in the car, one motor at the shop and one motor in the air. These new motors can run several years on the same set of valve springs because they don't need a lot of fource to close those little valves with no push rods or rocker arms. Set displacement to 2500 cc's for all motors and racing will get cheeper. Handy capping is for horse racing.

1 member likes this post: are39
10/14/10, 5:03 PM   #33
curt4p

Put fenders on them too, fans want to see that........how about mirrors now, so they can worry whats ging on behind them.
If you had more than 2 damn push trucks, it wouldnt take half an hour to get them started.
This push off argument is from stock car people that dont understand the mechanics of a midget,and has been around for many many years.
These people only have to watch a night at Bloomington to learn how to restart racecars in under 4 miinutes.
And $22,000 is absurd for a sealed engine

1 member likes this post: rmr6nm
10/14/10, 7:06 PM   #34
DAD

It doesn't take long to make a small fortune in open wheel racing---- if you start out with a large one. Keep on racing antiques and don't loook around you. I'll bet their are some little old midget looking cars turning times faster than 80 percent of your usac midgets with a motor one half as big as an esslinger that will race for 2 years with out doing anything to them. If I put two together I would be working with about 450-475 hp stock that would stay together forever then convert them over to methanol for another 50 hp. That would be one big stab in the butt in a 900 lb car. O whell they could just make widder tires. That would not be in the sperit of racing, if you are used to racing out of a fat wallet. These motors go for $1500-$2000 apiece on ebay all day long.

10/15/10, 9:02 AM   #35
LEADERS EDGE

If the Potter V-6 is what you are referring to...they did change the lay over but didn't cut the cubes. We bought one of the cars and motors they won the championship with.

I'm all about it....get with Kenyons,Powri or Badger to get an allowence for them, take two of the motors and make an 8 cylinder out of it, make it live and sell it for under $20,000, and you will have a winner for sure.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Less costly midget engines