Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets
10/2/21, 7:53 PM   #31
Re: Midgets
Jonr

[quote=Ray3;544964]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post

The only difference that matters is USAC at 1035lbs with driver and POWRI at 1050lbs with driver........
So, I hear about the weight rule every year around the Chili Bowl and how the cars go on a diet because there is no weight rule, and in fact there are specific cars built only for the Chile Bowl to take advantage of the no weight rule.

However, I have never heard about a USAC or POWRi driver being DQed because of weight. With the WOO, you will hear a driver gambled and missed weight or had a brain fade and didn't go to the scales. You also see them go directly to the scales before they go to Victory lane. I always remember the midgets going directly to victory lane. Am I misremembering or do the weigh the cars differently?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/3/21, 1:31 PM   #32
Re: Midgets
Ray3

[quote=Jonr;545001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post

So, I hear about the weight rule every year around the Chili Bowl and how the cars go on a diet because there is no weight rule, and in fact there are specific cars built only for the Chile Bowl to take advantage of the no weight rule.

However, I have never heard about a USAC or POWRi driver being DQed because of weight. With the WOO, you will hear a driver gambled and missed weight or had a brain fade and didn't go to the scales. You also see them go directly to the scales before they go to Victory lane. I always remember the midgets going directly to victory lane. Am I misremembering or do the weigh the cars differently?

I don't know how USAC and POWRI enforce their weight rules anymore. I know USAC at one time weighed every car after qualifying. I personally saw Bobby East DQed after qualifying at Angell Park for being lightweight but that was years ago. Part of the reason you may not see anyone DQed is the minimum weight rules today are so low in POWRI and especially USAC that they are hard to attain. They used to be 900lbs without driver. Today they say 1035 and 1050 with driver so to me they are telling us they expect the drivers to weigh 135-150lbs which seems too light to me. By contrast, yet again, WoO Sprint Cars recently increased their minimum weight rule.

In Badger they purposely require a minimum 1100lbs w/ driver to discourage ti and carbon parts and to help the guys who weigh 175-200lbs (the average for men). They weigh the top 5 from the heats and top 4 from the A-Main. However, you are correct that they do it after the victory lane celebration.
Last edited by Ray3; 10/3/21 at 1:38 PM.

1 member likes this post: Jonr
10/3/21, 5:05 PM   #33
JoeH

It's probably a safety thing.A midget goes pretty damn fast at Eldora and they aren't that big. Lawrenceburg Speedway usually gets the lowest car count during Indiana Midget Week and you can make the same case.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets