IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ok,here it is.
8/19/17, 3:32 PM   #31
Re: Ok,here it is.
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintracer82 View Post
Has anyone ever seen the results of a dirt open wheel car crashing on pavement? I have... 7 days later we laid my step father to rest. Modern dirt chassis's have no business running on pavement. And as for wanting to build spec cars so they can run both surfaces, might as well just shut the series down. It's not because of having to have two cars, there is just not as much interest in pavement right now.

Nick Landon
Sorry to hear about your loss. Crazy dangerous sport
But at least he went down doing what he loved

1 member likes this post: Baylands
8/19/17, 3:57 PM   #32
david mitchell
Banned

Why shut the series down if we have to run one car.if survival of the series is in doubt,you as an organization take every measure to protect it.i don't really understand that statement.

8/19/17, 4:05 PM   #33
david mitchell
Banned

Is anyone on this forum old enough to remember that midgets ,sprint cars, and silver crown cars all ran on dirt and pavement with the same car.why is there such a hatred of running a race car on both.eldora on saturday,new bremen on sunday.or any other combination.go look at the crucean- mahoney sprint car pictorials.mr.funk enlighten me.

1 member likes this post: Hotrod
8/19/17, 4:30 PM   #34
Jonr

We can all agree that a dirt only car is going to be faster on dirt than a converted pavement car. We can all agree that a pavement only car is going to be faster on pavement that a converted dirt car. Taking it one more, we can also all agree that a dirt only car is going to be faster than a "combo car" on dirt and a pavement only car is going to be faster that a "combo car on pavement.

There are car owners who like to only run pavement and have pavement only cars. There are car owners who like to only run dirt and have dirt only cars. There is nothing that can be done to stop that. If you try to merge the rules or force the rules, you are only going to upset one group or the other and instead of supporting their favorite type or car, they will support none.

Almost every Silver Crown post I write ends with the same comment. Supply equals demand. While there are a group of die hard silver crown fans, they are a small minority of the fans. If there was money to be made promoting silver crown races it would be done. Have you ever wondered why there is a insane amount of big shows for modifieds? It is because the promoters know that the odds of them making money on a modified show is fairly high.

5 members like this post: Baylands, fish, JordanBlanton, LRP36, Sandy Lowe
8/19/17, 4:54 PM   #35
david mitchell
Banned

Good stuff jonr.you actually want to discuss.here is a plan,how many car owners who ran salem last weekend also campaign a dirt car.to entice teams to run pavement ,qualifying would be based on number of races entered.a speed/ races entered formula.you can run only dirt,but chances are you are going to be starting behind those who run all the races.why do you think nascar came up with their formula that awards essentially a franchise to cars competing in all races.they want to make sure owners don't pick and choose races.they realized that a long time ago.same way with formula one.you are not eligible for any prize money if you do not run all events.i can here the madness already.this is blasphemy.i would do it in a minute.see how badly they want to race.sometimes a dictator is needed.no,always needed.race car owners have proved over and over again if allowed to govern themselves they fail miserably.open wheel racing needs a bernie ecclestone or bill france.

8/19/17, 5:20 PM   #36
Jonr

OK. Let's regroup. Pavement racing for Silver Crown cars is on life support. Dirt racing for Silver Crown cars is still tenuous at best, but better than the years before. You are now going to make demands for the car owners to show up. While I do not know this for a fact, I would guess that the opposite is actually happening. I would imagine USAC/Silver Crown promoters are calling owners begging them to show up.

But you didn't answer the other half of the equation. Who really wants to see them race? Once again, if there was a lot money to be made promoting Silver Crown races, more people would be doing it. The risk/reward for a Silver Crown race is way too imbalanced. Once again, why so many modified races? The risk/reward is more manageable.

2 members like this post: Baylands, fish
8/19/17, 6:11 PM   #37
david mitchell
Banned

Jonr has good points.i guess my bottom line question is this.why doesn't anyone want to see them race,or for that matter why do people not exactly fill the stands for the dirt shows.can i say with almost certainity that sprint car fans do not like pavement.is this the reason.or is it fans stay away from pavement because they know there will not be good car count.it seems most fans have No interest in sc racing and in particular pavement.why?

8/19/17, 6:50 PM   #38
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
Jonr has good points.i guess my bottom line question is this.why doesn't anyone want to see them race,or for that matter why do people not exactly fill the stands for the dirt shows.can i say with almost certainity that sprint car fans do not like pavement.is this the reason.or is it fans stay away from pavement because they know there will not be good car count.it seems most fans have No interest in sc racing and in particular pavement.why?
Well since I already put my foot in my mouth about pavement, might as well answer (My personal opinion only!) I understand that long time fans long for the "good ole days" of Champ cars, sprinters leading up to Indy, but I'm a relative newcomer (7 yrs.) To me, just bigger, slower 360s, longer races... doesn't "float my boat"
I'll apologize in advance.... sorry! But you asked....

1 member likes this post: fish
8/19/17, 7:37 PM   #39
flagboy55

David, I agree with you and anyone who says it can't be done I believe is mistaken. However that ship has long since sailed and probably has sunken as well. I was part of those days you speak of when it was dirt one night and pavement the next. Probably should have been black flagged when guys like Carmen and Bloom were running the Dawker roadster and Sheldon was running the Genesee roadster, but it wasn't and here we are, with no pavement sprint cars in USAC. I wish there still were. That said though, I would almost always drive past a pavement race for a dirt race, to me it's just more exciting.

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, The Old Coyote
8/19/17, 8:08 PM   #40
david mitchell
Banned

I commend revjimk for his honesty and flagboy for his insight.you have it so right when you say those cars you mentioned should have been banned when they first showed.now we have what we have and no pavement,no winchester,no a lot of things.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ok,here it is.