IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
RcrSkyChk (Offline)
  #31 7/17/08 10:46 AM
ok I'm agreeing with Kirk which is one thing i was worried about as well! It's a great paying race but a majority of the guys that show up will have a car just for this race! We talked to Tracy Hines yesterday (great guy by the way!!) and he was shaking down a car for Anderson that he just got built.

So some people are going to try it for sure but I agree it's going to be very hard on the engines and like i've said before on the brakes, Mel Kenyon actually told us if we wanted to try it he thinks we should take or 1979 Edmunds ( our indoor car) because he thinks the breaks will hold up on it a lot better then these new cars.
767 (Offline)
  #32 7/17/08 11:35 AM
no races pays enough:rolleyes: it could pay $2000 to start and $20,000 to win and it still wouldn't pay enough. Any race a driver can get punted or break a motor. Lets see here role car end over end at a regular usac race in the heat race totally destroying car pick up $100 on the way out of the track, or get punted in the wall destroying car and pick up a $1000 on the way out of the track. to me it looks like your $900 closer to that new car
psullivan
  #33 7/17/08 12:19 PM
Dave Steele won close to 60k in the Twin 25's at IRP in 2002 - Summer Sizzle paid 20k
Duane Hancock (Offline)
  #34 7/17/08 1:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon:
Duane - It is a nice purse. The negatives are that Anderson is very hard on equipment, and running a 400-lap race is very hard on equipment. Unfortunately, $10,000 does not buy a new engine. And how are your chances of winning verses being punted into the wall and destroying a car?

The last midget race at Anderson was fifty laps. This race is eight times longer. If you divide the purse by eight, it would only be $1,250 to win. I know it's not that simple, but it's a really long race, so it should pay a lot of money. Ten grand is nice, but I'm not sure if that's worth it, let alone second-place money.

This race is right before a stretch where dirt midgets race a BUNCH in August, so most guys who run dirt too would not want to run it. I think the group of pavement racers who run regionally and run pavement-only events should run it, but we'll see how it goes...

Thanks Kirk..

I guess if you add ALL that up, it makes since why some guys might not run it. It would just suck if a track actually puts up great money for a race and the car count was low. Its great to see a track go out on a limb and try something that pays huge money, compared to other races, and not get the support they were expecting. Hell a $60,000 purse is larger than a 1 day WOO show.
Seadog (Offline)
  #35 7/17/08 1:50 PM
I just got a call from Anderson Speedway. They were reminding me that the midget race was the 26th and they are still holding my Little 500 seats for me if I wanted to sit there for the 400. I said I'm about 80% sure I'm going but didn't want to risk buying them right now due to the 20% chance of not going. She said they still had plenty of good seats left that would likely be available for the walk up fans on race day.

Interesting.
767 (Offline)
  #36 7/17/08 2:27 PM
good, more top row seats for my gang!
onewww
  #37 7/18/08 6:09 AM
INAUGURAL ANDERSON 400 MIDGET CLASSIC NEARS

ANDERSON, Ind. (July 17, 2008) – Preparations continue for the Inaugural Anderson 400 Midget Classic to be held at Anderson Speedway on Saturday, July 26. This 400 lap midget spectacle will bring in a new tradition at Anderson Speedway as midgets will be showcased in a $10,000 to win event.

This first-ever contest is being sanctioned by the United States Auto Club and designated as a special event and will be open to all midget and Ford Focus midgets. Drivers from many of the pavement midget clubs in the country including: BCRA, WOOMS, UMARA, WMRA, and NEMA are expected.

The 400 lap event could start up to as many as 34 cars and will feature a unique qualifying format held on the eve of the inaugural event. On Friday afternoon each car will be given a 4-lap qualifying attempt with the fastest 16 cars locked into the field. On Friday night qualifying races and a last chance race will set the remaining spots in the Anderson 400 Midget Classic to be held on Saturday Night.

This new event should give visiting fans in the area for the Allstate 400 At The Brickyard another event to complete their racing weekend. To add even more flair to the weekend a USAC Regional Midget program along with Ford Focus and Kenyon Midgets is scheduled for Wednesday, July 23. This USAC Regional program will give teams additional track time and will serve as a final tune-up for the Classic.

It has been more than 50 years since Anderson Speedway has played host to a 400 lap midget race. This reincarnation will pay a whopping $10,000 to the first driver to cross the finish line after 400 grueling laps and $1,020 just to start! This event has the makings for a truly entertaining and fun weekend of racing for all midget fans young and old.

On Saturday, July 26, the inaugural Anderson 400 Midget Classic green flag waves at 8 p.m.

Tickets are available at $22 for reserved seating. For more information, contact the Anderson Speedway Ticket Office from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

For additional information on Anderson Speedway, visit www.andersonspeedway.com or contact Anderson Speedway at (765) 642-0206.

- www.andersonspeedway.com -

For More Information, Contact:
Rick Dawson
Anderson Speedway
(765) 642-0206
rdawson@andersonspeedway.com
RichH (Offline)
  #38 7/21/08 12:51 PM
Does anyone have recent info on who to expect in the field?/ We're seriously considering going, bot it's a long trip and, probably, an overnite. Constructive comments appreciated. Thanks.
:hoffman:

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and bearing a cross"
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #39 7/21/08 1:20 PM
Originally Posted by RichH:
Does anyone have recent info on who to expect in the field?/ We're seriously considering going, bot it's a long trip and, probably, an overnite. Constructive comments appreciated. Thanks.
:hoffman:
I usually see Rick Dawson on Tuesday and I will ask him about an entry list and see if one is available.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
767 (Offline)
  #40 7/21/08 1:22 PM
keep an eye on the wed. night race from anderson. It should be a good preview of who is going to be there. I am hearing maybe at many as 40 midgets wed. night. There will be a full field, there are enough kenyons and focus midgets around that have never seen a $1000 pay day. The name that keps poping up is dave steel. ANyone herd weather or not he has a ride?