IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
terrehautian (Offline)
  #31 1/31/11 6:43 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
I talked to some people who were involved in promoting THAT last year on Saturday, and they said they didn't know they weren't coming back. All this may just be speculation.
I know of someone that is having a meeting with the last promoters (not kind) about some business. Maybe there is hope.....
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #32 1/31/11 10:29 PM
Mr. Funk and I spoke to the same people.
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #33 1/31/11 10:40 PM
The Fairground in Detroit is closed, can't even have a State Fair as there is no money. Years ago a group wanted to build or rebuild the racetrack there. The neighbors said they didn't want a buncha beer drinking rednecks in the area & it would be to noisy. I had a copy of a study done by Supertrapp I believe that said concerts & indoor football games are louder than Auto Racing. Got any idea how much money racing could have brought to the Detroit area. Stupid is as stupid does. Hope all goes well w/ THAT
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #34 1/31/11 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54:
The Fairground in Detroit is closed, can't even have a State Fair as there is no money. Years ago a group wanted to build or rebuild the racetrack there. The neighbors said they didn't want a buncha beer drinking rednecks in the area & it would be to noisy. I had a copy of a study done by Supertrapp I believe that said concerts & indoor football games are louder than Auto Racing. Got any idea how much money racing could have brought to the Detroit area. Stupid is as stupid does. Hope all goes well w/ THAT
Randy,

I went past the Fairgrounds recently and what an eyesore that has become. I am sure that the neighbors can't be happy with the sight of that. I guess the old saying, "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind here. Auto racing would look mighty good right now to some of those folks.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Tim Watson (Offline)
  #35 2/1/11 9:49 PM
I know those old fairgrounds tracks everywhere hold a lot of history but i find it odd that many places are having trouble surviving? Our fairgrounds here is in the middle of town and does very well during the year. Besides the Saturday night racing they have horse shows, dog shows, and the grounds stores campers and such during the winter. Then our county fair is Labor Day weekend which is always a good turn out. Maybe we are luckier than most fairgrounds but it gets used plenty and is a money maker.
terrehautian (Offline)
  #36 2/1/11 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Watson:
I know those old fairgrounds tracks everywhere hold a lot of history but i find it odd that many places are having trouble surviving? Our fairgrounds here is in the middle of town and does very well during the year. Besides the Saturday night racing they have horse shows, dog shows, and the grounds stores campers and such during the winter. Then our county fair is Labor Day weekend which is always a good turn out. Maybe we are luckier than most fairgrounds but it gets used plenty and is a money maker.
The fairgrounds itself seems to do good on events. Shoot, they have a two day redneck rally here (Schied Deisel Extravaganza). They usually trash the place. Heard they keep jacking up the rent to them also, but Schied makes so much money off it, they pay whatever to keep it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlU3LDL-H6c

I think the problem with THAT has been the stigma that has attached itself to the track with Allison's reign of terror. LAst year, I seen some of the biggest crowds ever at the track.

Another problem is limited races. I understand that THAt may never be a weekly track ever again. It could have a few more races a month.
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #37 2/2/11 11:41 AM
One night at the truck deal a group of rednecks watching burnouts will become hood ornaments, and boy will that change things.
JEFFSTOY (Offline)
  #38 2/3/11 10:04 AM
this is not at the fairgrounds
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #39 2/4/11 11:54 AM
why doesn't someone ask the o'connors if they are coming back before spreading derrogatory rumors about my favorite track? as far as i've heard they are, although that too is hearsay. whoever promotes it; please NO SUPPORT CLASS WITH SPRINTS PLEASE! and prepare it just like last year. It was absolutely perfect and the most exciting track I went to all year! As far as the land being sold, it's a good thing it is a fairgrounds or it probably would have been sold long ago.
jim goerge (Offline)
  #40 2/6/11 4:28 PM
iT REALLY SOUNDS TO ME THAT THE FAIR GROUNDS BOARD DOESN"T WANT A RACE TRACK THERE ANYMORE WHAT WITH HIKEING THE RENT UP