IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
wolmidget
  #31 2/27/09 11:28 PM
By no means do I expect the registration fee to be $50 dollars. Since I have owned WOMS the registration fee has always been $25 for pre-registering and $35 for late registration or at the track registration, I don't forsee that changing but offering a much larger purse will be a challenge and we will have to look at everything. I lose money on 100% of the races we promote. I do it for the love of the sport. My main focus is the the success of midget racing now and in the future. I would be a much wealthier man had I not become involved in racing.I not only own and drive my own midget but also promote the series. What we need most in midget racing is to dramatically increase our car counts especially in our mid level blue collar class of cars. By the way, our registration pays only for our officials fee. We see none of that cash. I feel sorry for people such as Don Moore as I feel they do really want to help but really have no idea what it really takes to run a series such as WOMS and to provide an adequate purse for our racers but a low enough fee to encourage a track to book our series. It is a very difficult tight rope to walk. WOMS has decided to take a bold step this year by dramatically increasing our purse and commitment to midget racing hoping to get people off the side lines and into the game. We are hoping the midget community will embrace this bold move and strongly support our initative. Encouraging results this year could be a great precessor for success next year. I have big ideas for our future, I just need people to share my dream and to show up in numbers at our races.. Dan @ Wolverine
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #32 2/27/09 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by racephoto1:
First, I don't think Don has been to a rodeo. You pay to enter, but if you don't place you get no money.I know, I rode bulls for a few years, didn't make much money, spent alot though. There are sports that are pay to play.

I sometimes agree with your ideas but not always.After all this time, you seem to be fed up with everyone else.Improve things, start your own series and show everyone else how it should be done. I guess put up or shut up as they say.
If you do some research, you will find that most midget owners have a life expectancy in the sport of about 5-6 years, many only a year or two. In the last several months, there have been owners bailing out left and right. I'm still hanging in there on life support as a seventh year car owner, no sponsors, no factory kickbacks, no tire deals, and funding every dollar from my own pocket. Maybe you've been away on an extended vacation, but midget racing is on the ropes with very few places and choices to race in the midwest. I'm playing the game within the system. My opinions shouldn't necessarily be associated with how I conduct the day to day business of my race operation. I like to race and I have very few choices left. Are you aware that one of the most successful midget orgs/tracks in the world has suffered a 50% reduction in car count since 1999? At that rate, in time, you won't have to worry about what I have to say, or for that matter, anyone else. Do you want to look at photos and videos of midget racing or do you want to continue to see the real thing in person? Time will tell.
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #33 2/27/09 11:48 PM
Racing most race cars is a rich mans sport. Most owners do it out of a love for the sport. Most do not make money at it. The ones that do make money at it generally have sponsors that spend the money for them. It is just like any other business. You race with other peoples money. Hard to do in these times. Do not use your own money if you cannot afford to lose it. Kudos to any organization who ups their purses in this current economic situation.
unclebuck (Offline)
  #34 2/27/09 11:58 PM
The problem is that all of us think short track racing is a big deal....IT ISN'T! It's only important to a small group of people like ourselves.If promoting tracks was as profitable as some think we would not have the turnover in promoters that we have? Most tracks in IN,MI,and IL almost never have more than 2,000 people thru the front gate. COUNT THEM SOME DAY. Most are lucky to get 1,000 in the front gate weekly. Racing is a dark hole to drop your money in. It's not going to change.
Dale Weis
Valparaiso IN

Good luck to the Wolverine Midgets, You put on a good show
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #35 2/28/09 1:09 AM
Yep, and none of them care to think out of the box or want to. 100% of them are following the same "that's the way it's always been done" model. Yep, as long as everybody shows up at the back gate and goes along with it, no reason to change.
micro94 (Offline)
  #36 2/28/09 2:52 AM
Ive been on this board for a little while.This started out as a thread that the wolverine midgets was happy to make there announcement.Everything was fine with that and I congratulate them on that.Then Don shows up with his negativity.I first of all agree with some of the last posts.If you have it figured out then start your own club and see how it goes.Good luck to you.Other wise do everyone a favor and shut it.You complain about the same stuff over and over again.Anything on this board that says midget you have a complaint about.You deserve a free owners and drivers pass for why?Everyones making money off the "backgate".Dont go to the back gate anymore.It's simple.You say you have no sponsors,no tire deal or nothing else its coming out of your pocket.Thats great,your doing better than most of us.My suggestion is to put a for sale sign on your car or just leave it set in the garage.With all the time you spend complaining on this site I dont know how you have time to take it to a track anyway.Good day.And Im not hiding behind the computer either.My name is Mike Haley and I am from Anderson.:censor:
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #37 2/28/09 9:33 AM
Are you coming over for Thanksgiving dinner?
smbpreformance (Offline)
  #38 2/28/09 10:10 AM
Congrats to the WOMS on the increase to win. What does it pay to start?
Is there a schedule avalible?
RacinFool (Offline)
  #39 2/28/09 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by unclebuck:
The problem is that all of us think short track racing is a big deal....IT ISN'T! It's only important to a small group of people like ourselves.If promoting tracks was as profitable as some think we would not have the turnover in promoters that we have? Most tracks in IN,MI,and IL almost never have more than 2,000 people thru the front gate. COUNT THEM SOME DAY. Most are lucky to get 1,000 in the front gate weekly. Racing is a dark hole to drop your money in. It's not going to change.
Dale Weis
Valparaiso IN

Good luck to the Wolverine Midgets, You put on a good show
Well said!-Tom Bliss
duel (Offline)
  #40 2/28/09 12:04 PM
I feel blessed to be able to watch short track racing open wheel style. it would be nice to have larger crowds then we wouldn't have to go home when it sprinkles. The way these sprint and midgets guys race i can't understand why they don't have turn away crowds. anyway, Don, i saw your midget a couple of times last year and it is a beautiful car. Hey Tom! see you sometime this year in 09. good luck to all.....:checkered:
Closed Thread