IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
nodramazone20 (Offline)
  #31 5/5/22 4:24 PM
Overall, I feel streaming services help promote the racing series and tracks....its been my feeling all along that PROMOTION is the key. The THAT promotors did a good job in a short period of time in order to make this event a success. Maybe the crowd was NOT what they thought, but several factors play into this. The beer/cooler thing is not a big deal, but the $ 5.00 to park is...The minute you hit the site, they want money. Its a perception thing. The time frame of the event has been all over the map in the past few years.....some day races, some late afternoon races, then this year was a night race...(did it not end after 10pm local). I think the weather plays a part in this as well....this spring has been terribly wet and cold...hard to really plan and get excited about anything. Rome was not built in a day....Track was good, and the racing was better...People will come if you give them a reason to come, so, its up to the promotor to give them a reason to show up....
SoIllSprinter (Offline)
  #32 5/5/22 4:45 PM
The only people I have seen that were disappointed in the Sumar crowd are internet jockeys. Has anyone associated with the track expressed disappointment? If so I have not seen the quotes. The crowd was good, not great, but considering it was chilly, it was a Sunday night and they were a hair short of ready, it was a pretty damn good crowd. For those that wondered, typical of track concessions, lines got long during the brief down periods but from my vantage point at the top of the grandstands nobody missed any crown on track action. The program was snappy for the most part, with the only delays being the hooligan and fence repair (which really was rather quick if anybody remembers the old Du Quoin boilerplate repair times). I drove from Du Quoin and was home by 12:30 am, which, honestly was an hour or so quicker than I thought I would be. For those of you who wished disaster for the promoters over coolers, alas, you swung and missed.
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, captrat, cornerthree, oppweld
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #33 5/5/22 6:00 PM
Notice to Robert Ballou- the old guy and lady that were supposed to be checking wrist bands at the middle gate by the concession stand were NOT doing their job. I bought food then walked right in without being checked. They were staring at their cell phones most of the time. I did have my wrist band and would never sneak in but there are plenty of people that will.
2 Likes: cornerthree, fish
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #34 5/5/22 7:10 PM
Originally Posted by SoIllSprinter:
The only people I have seen that were disappointed in the Sumar crowd are internet jockeys. Has anyone associated with the track expressed disappointment? If so I have not seen the quotes. The crowd was good, not great, but considering it was chilly, it was a Sunday night and they were a hair short of ready, it was a pretty damn good crowd. For those that wondered, typical of track concessions, lines got long during the brief down periods but from my vantage point at the top of the grandstands nobody missed any crown on track action. The program was snappy for the most part, with the only delays being the hooligan and fence repair (which really was rather quick if anybody remembers the old Du Quoin boilerplate repair times). I drove from Du Quoin and was home by 12:30 am, which, honestly was an hour or so quicker than I thought I would be. For those of you who wished disaster for the promoters over coolers, alas, you swung and missed.
Seriously? The very first post was the complaint mentioned and you diss out on fans who couldn't attend. Accuse people of wanting them to fail over coolers etc?

I for one want the best for THAT and gave numerous examples of how good it was and how much I want to get back there.

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: mc/rider, Oleman61x, oppweld
SoIllSprinter (Offline)
  #35 5/5/22 10:04 PM
I don’t believe I called out any fan for not attending. If anyone doesn’t want to go that’s their gig. I expressed my disappointment in people who attacked the promoters for setting rules they have every right to set. And yes, there were posts from individuals who we’re talking ominous smack about people not going because of a cooler rule. The crowd was good, if coolers kept some away it didn’t seem to hurt the bottom line too much, and as I pointed out, those that predicted disaster because of a cooler ban were…wrong. You’re jumping a little hairy tonight on someone who just expressed an opinion, much like I’ve seen you do numerous times here.
  #36 5/6/22 7:39 AM
I don’t believe I called out any fan for not attending. If anyone doesn’t want to go that’s their gig. I expressed my disappointment in people who attacked the promoters for setting rules they have every right to set. And yes, there were posts from individuals who we’re talking ominous smack about people not going because of a cooler rule. The crowd was good, if coolers kept some away it didn’t seem to hurt the bottom line too much, and as I pointed out, those that predicted disaster because of a cooler ban were…wrong. You’re jumping a little hairy tonight on someone who just expressed an opinion, much like I’ve seen you do numerous times here.
Well Im glad you went and had a good time. I encourage everyone to get to a race at THAT. I just took it wrong, but the post was about Ballou's view that the stream kept people away. The cooler thing? It was handled wrong by the track to begin with with a no cooler policy anywhere (On the property), Then cleared up to allow infield.

I feel they have the right to have whatever policy they want. I also feel that if someone (Feels they can put a couple gallons in their tank to get there in the first place vs standing in line and paying ten bucks for two or three drinks is better than them not attending at all. Six hours travel 350mi for me to get there as well as many others I know here on the NE side of Cincy that love THAT and some of them never miss a race there.

Have a nice day, Get to That and any tracks you can, while you still can.

Charles Nungester
boomer (Offline)
  #37 5/6/22 7:52 AM
Wait for Hot & Humid weather,then the no cooler policy might become a game changer. Cold water & a wet cloth from your little cooler is huge!!! Could you imagine what would happen if they didn’t let coolers in the pits? Think about that one for a minute. Thanks to everyone who are making improvements to the THAT. I personally will be back again to hopefully see even more improvements….. Almost forgot about people who disagree with the $5 parking. You can’t even buy 1 gallon of diesel for that. How many gallons of fuel did the promotion team use just to get the track race ready? I sure wouldn’t like to pay that bill. Enjoy your time at all the race tracks you go to because it could all be over in a blink of a eye!
SoIllSprinter (Offline)
  #38 5/6/22 8:28 AM
I for some reason thought I read in this thread another beat down on the track promotion. I didn’t go back and check, so l may have replied to something not covered here. Have a good day and enjoy your weekend. Hope it dries up enough for dirt to fly.
SoIllSprinter (Offline)
  #39 5/6/22 8:30 AM
You may be right but if coolers are a game changer then this sport is weaker amongst its fan base than I realize.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, captrat, fish, opnwhlmnd, oppweld
  #40 5/6/22 8:52 AM
I for some reason thought I read in this thread another beat down on the track promotion. I didn’t go back and check, so l may have replied to something not covered here. Have a good day and enjoy your weekend. Hope it dries up enough for dirt to fly.
You too. think the only two tracks with a shot are LPS and Burg Rain is supposed to stop early Sat, but we've gotten heavy with more expected this afternoon and evening. Would love to see BOSS at the burg.

Charles Nungester