IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #31 9/7/18 11:23 AM
Caught the PPV thought racing was as good as you could expect without the top coming in and from highlights of Weds seems the track's a hit. I know a ton of people worked very hard to get this done and done right and a big thank you.

Don't know if you ad the same announcers live as the PPV was but that's my only complaint "The Great one hall of famer is a good color man and it usually works well with Chet and others but this combo didn't work. THere was no clear play by play guy. just a bunch of chatter

Charles Nungester
  #32 9/7/18 11:52 AM
Oh and I could also see a HUT Hundred there.

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: flagboy55, IndianaSprintFan, jdull99, mc/rider
jjones752 (Offline)
  #33 9/7/18 11:52 AM
Last night was, as they say in Oz & New Zealand, "Ipic" (spelling intentional). Hats off to Reese, Levi, Doug and everyone who worked their tails off to get the show in. Shame they couldn't fit in the alphabets but they did what they could do to make sure everyone at least got one race in. Classiest moments of the night; Doug Boles running to every car on the track to shake each driver's hands before they pushed off for the main, and showing some respect for the neighbors by not shooting off the fireworks at 1 AM (Doug: "Give everyone you see in Speedway and the surrounding neighborhoods a hug tomorrow morning; we put them through a lot to get this show in").
Three wide off the corners for the lead for several laps (not counting traffic), everyone on the track absolutely hammer down, and what? One yellow? Given the conditions (heck, even NOT given the conditions), it couldn't have been better. What a show.

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
15 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirt330, flagboy55, HARFprez, mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, racenut69, speed bump, Tim Clauson, TNRustler, Tracy Turner, Vookie, WinglessLovers, Z-man
KingRandomUser (Offline)
  #34 9/7/18 1:32 PM
IMS would be wise to spend some time over the winter making everything more permanent. The track is fantastic for midgets. Could even run a special event or two in May around the 500 Festivities. You know a track is dedicated when they bring out two big blowers towed by UTV's to help dry the track with all the other heavy equipment. Outstanding effort to fight off two rounds of mother nature.

Despite having to cut out the rest of the mains, it was still a great show. For the record, even if they could of kept running well past the time they did, it started raining again about 35 minutes after the checkered flag.
My only gripe is how tight the temp stands were. I'm not a big guy, but even I couldn't squeeze in very well and was trying not to have my knees in the row in front of me.

Thanks to everyone involved to make this event happen! Let's hope for more in 2019!
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Pat O'Connor Fan, WinglessLovers
captrat (Offline)
  #35 9/7/18 2:58 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Caught the PPV thought racing was as good as you could expect without the top coming in and from highlights of Weds seems the track's a hit. I know a ton of people worked very hard to get this done and done right and a big thank you.

Don't know if you ad the same announcers live as the PPV was but that's my only complaint "The Great one hall of famer is a good color man and it usually works well with Chet and others but this combo didn't work. THere was no clear play by play guy. just a bunch of chatter
Listening on the USAC app thought the play by play was great. How can you not like "he's got that thing woofin' and barkin' on the bottom". Like little color with my race calls!
  #36 9/7/18 3:04 PM
Originally Posted by captrat:
Listening on the USAC app thought the play by play was great. How can you not like "he's got that thing woofin' and barkin' on the bottom". Like little color with my race calls!
I didn't say nothing about the color, I said there needs to be more who's in what, In fact, most of the time they were pushing off and lining up, they weren't saying anything.. Reminded me more of the old Chili Bowl Stream with a bunch of oooh's and ahhs and few details.

It is what it was. I enjoyed the stream. But half the cars and a quarter of the drivers, I had no idea who was driving.

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: Kydehart, mc/rider
Crankin (Offline)
  #37 9/7/18 5:18 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
.. Reminded me more of the old Chili Bowl Stream with a bunch of oooh's and ahhs and few details.
Still the same today on the ppv Charles. You'd think that as big as the CB is, and as much exposure as it gets, they might think of getting some announcers that have a clue about National Midget racing..... Not just guys from Texoma.

And yes, Bullring K.O. and myself will gladly volunteer!
3 Likes: bullringko, PJ Wright, throb
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #38 9/7/18 7:22 PM
I'd do that chili bowl broadcast for free

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
7 Likes: bighd0522, bullringko, dirt330, flagboy55, PIT CART, Speedwrench, throb
BrentTFunk (Online)
  #39 9/7/18 9:55 PM
Originally Posted by KingRandomUser:
IMS would be wise to spend some time over the winter making everything more permanent. The track is fantastic for midgets. Could even run a special event or two in May around the 500 Festivities. You know a track is dedicated when they bring out two big blowers towed by UTV's to help dry the track with all the other heavy equipment. Outstanding effort to fight off two rounds of mother nature.

Despite having to cut out the rest of the mains, it was still a great show. For the record, even if they could of kept running well past the time they did, it started raining again about 35 minutes after the checkered flag.
My only gripe is how tight the temp stands were. I'm not a big guy, but even I couldn't squeeze in very well and was trying not to have my knees in the row in front of me.

Thanks to everyone involved to make this event happen! Let's hope for more in 2019!
Very good points. I don't think you will see it used in May, as that area is packed on race day, carb day, and legends day with parking. With all the other tracks running big events during the week of Indy, I don't think the Speedway wants to step on any toes. The week of Indy is filled with already filled with really good events.
3 Likes: dirt330, throb, Vookie
IndianaSprintFan (Offline)
  #40 9/7/18 10:44 PM
Looks like a good home for the Hut 100
3 Likes: Chris Nunn, flagboy55, HARFprez