IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #31 8/12/17 7:53 PM
The loyalty contracts are what makes the WoO strong as a business.
4 Likes: Al Pierce, BrentTFunk, Jbaldwin, motorhead748
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #32 8/13/17 5:24 AM
Originally Posted by dsc1600:
The loyalty contracts are what makes the WoO strong as a business.
Guess that's why they filed bankruptcy twice before WRG took over?

Charles Nungester
  #33 8/13/17 5:27 AM
Dustin Smith won the first feature.
The second feature was Cottle Fischesser, D.Smith.
Left after the second Red in the Winged 15k race. It was 230AM, Home at 5
Great facility, Need to get their stuff together. Realize it's a growing process. But five and ten minutes between heats to push cars around the track. NAH BABY NAH. Push four on the front straight, start em, push out four more. and so on.

Charles Nungester
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #34 8/13/17 7:33 AM
Are you arguing whether the WoO with over 90 dates coast to coast paying more than 5 million in purses is a successful business?

Maybe we should follow the non winged model where they pay 900 for 5th on the national touring series?
4 Likes: bighd0522, motorhead748, ossuks, PIT CART
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #35 8/13/17 8:47 AM
Thought about going, but figured it would be a late night. Wasn't thinking that late. That it why I don't get hung up on big car counts. Glad to see Dustin Smith get a win. I like the way that car looks.
6 Likes: Charles Nungester, duel, fish, flagboy55, Kydehart, nonwing77
  #36 8/13/17 11:31 AM
Im not sure but I think this was only the third sprint show they ran completely. Like I said it was more about logistics than anything. The first thing they did wrong was push all 69 sprints into the old pit road. Then couldn't get the push trucks through the line. Then that area was so dusty until about the 8th heat when they finally ran the water truck through it and the insides of the track. It was taking between 5-10 minutes to push out cars. get em started, lined up and the next race started. ADD That FIVE OR TEN MINUTES 14 TIMES and it added way over a hour to the show. The started a bit late as the track was wet. Nothing can do about the wreck delays, they did ok for the most part getting those cleaned up.

The track faces North to South so the sun set behind the main grandstand putting the suit section in shade all afternoon. the rest of the stands were shaded by 7pm

The great news was the track held up for all that racing. Never had to touch the surface all night. Didn't see pass one in the wing heats after the first lap. But the two consi's had guys hammer the cushion and come from fifth and ninth which made me want to stay and see the wing feature. Was just too late. Got to bed at 530.

The grandstand is big and roomy Probably room for another section on each end. Has Handicap ramps on each end and also a elevator that not only goes to the suits but up to a handicap area at the top of the grandstand (Im sure those are reserved seating) Top ten rows under the suits had seat backs. But I sat toward one. Same amount of rows as Lawrenceburg but they aren't as steep. plenty of leg room.

Concessions were woefully inadequate. Line moved ok, but there was NO FOOD. People just grabbing whatever they threw up as done and the quality suffered. Need to boil 500 metts, dogs etc at a time. add fryers etc. Glad I grabbed something early.

Great big Restrooms on each end. No problems there, they stayed nice and clean tons of stalls, three big multi unit sinks.

I honestly didn't know it but when I got off the exit I got off at, There sat the Prison they used in Shawshank Redemption (They closed the brick section and built a new one behind it. It offers tours from 10-4 daily. Just missed it by a half hour. It's literally only a couple miles south of the track Someone said the Halloween event at the Prison is one of the scarriest things he's done.

Mr. Sommer really wants to hold some major races, Big paying races. He's got the facility to do it. I felt if things ran the way they should (Hotlapped on time. Got races going in 2-3 minutes instead of ten). They could have still gotten it done by midnight, which would have been OK. It's just a logistics thing, They'll figure it out Im sure. Gotta give major props that the track workers didn't take a break in 8hrs. and that the track held up for 14 heats six consi's and four features

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: dkdorkboy, duel, oldfan49, stealth43k
tamati (Offline)
  #37 8/13/17 3:59 PM
They cut the 410 feature by 10 laps,which probably didn't sit well with the cars in 4th,5th and 6th. Who knows flat tire or mechanical failure to be in a feature that pays 100 grand. Anyways congrats to Caleb Armstrong for his win. And can't forget Shane Cottle on his win.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, duel
Sprintcarfanatic (Offline)
  #38 8/14/17 7:36 PM
Simple math really. You want a good car count give 5th on back in the b-main 2,000 grand to start & the guy's in the c-main a grand to start. A-main will get enough for finishing in the A, heck 100 grand isn't enough. Why do they need start money ?

Leave it "sanctioned" just the way it is. FAST. If the WOO can't leave that date open for their racers then tough titty. Same goe's for the All Stars.
  #39 8/14/17 7:52 PM
This race didn't pay 100 grand, It paid 15. However the top three are locked into the 100k to win show. Yeah, probably didn't sit well with 4-5-6th guys to cut it short. I wouldn't know, I left.

Charles Nungester
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #40 8/14/17 9:07 PM
Got to agree with you Charles, seems like a raw deal to those who ran behind them