IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?
2/25/10, 7:43 PM   #31
Re: Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?
sprntr

Remove all the cockpit adjustments. Make all Red Flags "Closed Reds". Narrow the tires to 14" RR, 10" LR and put lugs on them like a Snow Tire so they can dig for some moisture. LOL

2/25/10, 9:01 PM   #32
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I was thinking we where talking about narrow tires and wheels??????????

2/25/10, 9:57 PM   #33
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevracer58 View Post
I agree, eliminate any cockpit adjustments. Not only would this make the racing better, it would cut costs.
I really don't know where you guys get the cost cutting effects of removing adjustable shocks. I will give you one expample: The left rear shock. If it wasn't for my $700 double adjustable shock I would have to have these shocks: 11/2, 11/3, 10/3, 10/4, 9/3, 9/4, 9/5, 8/3, 8/4, 8/5 and 8/6. That is 11 shocks at $250 each. $2750 in shocks. Oh yeah and I cold purchase a back-up double adjustable shock and still be ahead.

1 member likes this post: are39
2/25/10, 11:25 PM   #34
dustbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Certainly I can agree to the adjustable shocks replacing several different ones but, Why do people like Schatz win without them? Because they setup for the middle to end of the race. In the first place.
I believe the Outlaws have banned shock adjusters from the cockpit. I do not know for sure, but I really doubt Schatz's Afcos are nonadjustable. The wing slider is a pretty substantial adjustment, however.

2/26/10, 11:02 PM   #35
v8j

Damion Gardner started 15 and won on what some have said was not a good race track

1 member likes this post: are39
3/3/10, 4:45 PM   #36
Bad Dad 54

What about a harder compound would that help?

3/3/10, 5:53 PM   #37
Kirk Spridgeon

See post by Bacon comma Brady. He hits the nail more squarely on the head than I have ever seen.

3/4/10, 8:23 AM   #38
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk spridgeon View Post
see post by bacon comma brady. He hits the nail more squarely on the head than i have ever seen.
hell i seen tires run all year on the fronts and buy two sets of rears all year and win races! Ask johnny rutherford!

3/4/10, 10:06 AM   #39
maradamx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevracer58 View Post
I agree, eliminate any cockpit adjustments. Not only would this make the racing better, it would cut costs.
+1

What's the deal with the thread czars? People get pissed when someone strays slightly off topic. So what if we morphed into a discussion on shocks, adjustments, wings, etc. Get a life!

I agree with banning all cockpit adjustments. This is not in the spirit of "Sprint Car" racing. It is a sprint race ~ 30 laps or so. The intent is to set the car up to be the best over the race distance - no changes in between. Those that get it right, guess right, or know how to set up a car for the race distance usually win. That is the reward. There shouldn't be any do-overs or second chances (red flag adjustments or cockpit adjustments).

This is my opinion and what I like to see when I go to a race. I want to see who set their car up the best for the length of the race and what driver can make his/her car work for the track conditions present. As for the cost, I agree it would slightly lower costs if adjustable shocks were not allowed. As someone stated, they would have to buy umpteen different valve shocks if they couldn't use adjustables. Guess what, we still have to buy umpteen different valve shocks WITH the adjustables - gotta have spares and replacements. So, no adjustables allowed, no money spent on adjustables. Bottom line is, if you don't spend the money there, it'll be spent on something else. Is money really being saved in the long run either way?

3/4/10, 6:28 PM   #40
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post

hell i seen tires run all year on the fronts and buy two sets of rears all year and win races! Ask johnny rutherford!
Yeah, but Monkey Wards isn't around to sell them Riversides anymore!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?