IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best sprint race you've ever seen?
3/13/10, 11:13 PM   #31
Re: Best sprint race you've ever seen?
SUPERDUKE
Banned

two! 1951 little 500 winner red renner! 1953 little 500 winner bob king!

3/13/10, 11:19 PM   #32
5JMOFFATTFAN!

I beleive it was two years ago old lawrenceburg...brandon petty and dickie gaines and went lap for lap...then both flipped was a heck of a race had lapped alot of cars ..not sure who won that night but petty and gaines put on a heck of a show.then watching gardner come from last at gas city for the kiss show a couple years ago..although stanbrough won gardner drove the wheels off that car!

3/14/10, 12:44 AM   #33
fishnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Harrison View Post
I was at North Vernon that night, that would be my vote - 3 wide coming off 4 for the checkers. That was the 1st of Ron Shuman's NWWC shows. It rained in the morning and was nearly canceled.
I have mentioned that race on here before. The early part of the race was dominated by Rusty Mclure in the Law Brothers #77, before the motor grenaded. Bill Rose, J.J. Yeley, Cory Kruseman and Tony Elliott, the eventual winner put on an unbelievable show.

The Lawrenceburg show from june in the last year of the old configuration was great also with the above mentioned Gaines and Petty duel. I believe A.J. Anderson won in the Hazen #57 that nite.

3/14/10, 12:56 AM   #34
MacTexas

1967 Devils Bowl 75 lapper. Shady McWorther raced with A D Trowell and swapped the lead just about every lap. Side by side on some laps, nose to tail on other laps. McWorther won the race by one foot.

Second best was the win by Hockett last year in Oskaloosa when he beat Darland by the tick of the watch.

3/14/10, 3:33 AM   #35
richie

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head...

1992 - Cary Faas drives like a madman to win his first Hulman Classic at Terre Haute

1997 - Brandon Petty nips Bill Rose at the line on Fan Appreciation Night at Lincoln Park. Race is made even more special due to me getting the opportunity to throw the green flag for the sprint feature!

1998 - Rich Vogler Classic, the top 10 running all together swapping spots winding their way through lapped traffic. Brad Armstrong looks like he's headed for his first career USAC win, gets caught by a lapped car. Chet Fillip ends up winning.

1998 - Jack Hewitt wins all four rounds of the 4-Crown

1999 - J.J. Yeley and Cory Kruseman collide coming out of turn four on the final lap of the Indiana Sprintweek event at Lincoln Park; Darland rides the cushion and goes from 3rd to 1st to win it at the line.

2004 - 4-crown at Eldora, Dickie Gaines holds off Jac Haudenschild at the line

2007 - Sprintweek at Kokomo, Stanbrough comes out of nowhere in the final few laps to beat Darland.
Last edited by richie; 3/14/10 at 4:40 AM.

3/14/10, 4:22 AM   #36
I Miss Manzy

Mine would have to be the 2007 Western World at Manzanita. Jerry Coons Jr. in the Hoffman 69,was sent to the tail by USAC,because the crew did not present the car in time for the driver intros. Jerry was there,but the car was late! Well,it only took him 38 laps to pass every car in the joint and win the thing! The place went crazy!! We still talk about it. A close second though,would be the KISS opener last year at Gas City. Cottle and Clauson throwing everything but the steering wheel at each other,with Clauson winning it on a super-tacky 1/4 mile. I hope that everyone gets to see at least one race that they'll remember forever in 2010! If we don't deserve it,who does?

3/14/10, 10:39 AM   #37
PAW

I've been thinking about this for awhile.Hope I ain't seen it yet!

3/14/10, 10:51 AM   #38
ASPHALT24

i'd have to say some of the wildest, hairiest sprint car action i have seen on dirt were some of the world of outlaw shows at the syracuse mile years ago. the speeds really picked up in the middle to late 80's. sammy swindell ntr low 25 second bracket avg approx 150 mph pushing a buck eighty down the backstretch. those guys were off the hook. for pavement, it would be the 1995 sammy sessions memorial at winchester, when kalitta & fillip drove underneath a barrel-rolling jason mccord at the checker flag. awesome race.

3/14/10, 11:28 AM   #39
cmakin

Last night's race at HRP ended up being one heck of a show. Sides and Kaeding traded the lead several times each lap and then for several laps, in and out of traffic, both grooves working. WOW. Congrats to Sides. Certainly one of the best winged shows that I have ever seen.

3/14/10, 11:49 AM   #40
bmemmer

mine was a few years ago at terre haute at the fall classic when Stanbrough and DC battled it out for two nights.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best sprint race you've ever seen?