IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
HurstBros0 (Offline)
  #31 9/2/12 6:32 PM
I thought the SC cars put on a pretty good show at Salem when they ran there. 100 inch wb with a 355 makes a stable car that puts some race into the joint other than just a follow the lead speed contest. Raceway Park was a good show. That could be another 500 activity other than putting them on the big track. They have to headline and running them in a dual show with sprints or midgets kinda waters down the excitement because they both usually run faster.

Dan Hurst
Hurst Brothers Racing
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #32 9/2/12 7:04 PM
Originally Posted by ThePurple73:

I remember in the early 1980's there was a "Dream Event" held for Silver Crown cars at Springfield with a huge crowd. Kind of a WOO and USAC event. Was a fun event.

Why not a similar event at the INDY mile with some NASCAR drivers, INDY drivers, and the USAC regulars, make it a big deal and advertise it. Find ways to get word out to those who have never attended.
Nascar guys did not even have time to run the IROC series. Although it is a neat idea, I can't imagine any one having the cash that could make that happen. Prelude to the dream is the only one, and that takes a lot of stars aligning.
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #33 9/2/12 7:04 PM
I sort of remember a time not too many years ago when the Silver Crown cars were running the larger speedways.
Seems someone did a test at Nashville and thought the cars wouldn't hold up or something. Nashville always sold out on Indy Car races before the event was dropped from the schedule. Would have been a great venue for the Silver Crown cars, with lots of new fans to be made.
Is there anyway to have a car really similar to the current cars that could run on tracks like the larger asphalt with out a total redesign like before, possibly convertible to dirt?
mr nobody (Offline)
  #34 9/3/12 10:06 AM
Absolutely AMAZING that ARCA could get a reschedule date for their race that was cancelled today yet USAC wasn't.

Don't give me the promoter can't/won't angle because Track Enterprises does the promoting for the mile tracks. They are the ones keeps the dirt miles in operation for the Silver Crown cars. This debacle lies directly at the feet of USAC. If USAC hadn't continually screwed with a good product the series wouldnt be in the shape it is now.
Tim Clauson (Offline)
  #35 9/3/12 10:19 AM
Per USACRacing.com

USAC Sprint Car Schedule -

Oct 12 2012 Terre Haute, IN Terre Haute Action Track Dirt
Oct 14 2012 Lake Odessa, MI I-96 Speedway Dirt

USAC Crown Schedule -
Oct 13 2012 Terre Haute, IN Terre Haute Action Track Dirt

W.W.B.K.D. ?
Vukie (Offline)
  #36 9/3/12 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by ThePurple73:
I still think some type of Silver Crown Race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in conjunction with the 500 or 500 qualifying would be a huge shot in the arm.
It would would be a way for area advertisers and competetors to be involved with out spending millions.
Make tires that would work and not a special pavement totally car.
It would be somewhat retro yet popular if advertised properly. Many American drivers, business promotions day, family get togethers at the track and a very one of a kind racing event.
They can't sell out the Brickyard 400 anymore. Only 5,000 people showed up for the sports car race. If IMS can't sell tickets to those events, how are they going to sell tickets to a Silver Crown race?
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #37 9/3/12 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Vukie:
They can't sell out the Brickyard 400 anymore. Only 5,000 people showed up for the sports car race. If IMS can't sell tickets to those events, how are they going to sell tickets to a Silver Crown race?
What I was thinking was something along with the 500 crowd - either with qualifying or 500 weekend when a crowd was already on hand. Not a stand alone event but rather during open time during 500 activities. Plenty of Indy oriented type fans on hand who could find it interesting and hopefully Silver Crown fans would find it interesting enough to attend and become a yearly thing fans would look forward too. Then hopefully build interest with first time watchers to attend other Silver Crown races. Just an idea.
Can you imagine what it would sound like on a Silver Crown start at Indy, coming down the front stretch. Has anyone ever tested a SC car there?
chassisman55 (Offline)
  #38 9/3/12 1:29 PM
Back in the late 50s the Dirt Champ Cars, or as the newbies call them; Silver Crown Cars, ran at Daytona Int Speedway. Although a couple of guys were lost, the race was awesome!! These cars were never meant for half miles, but the run great at Williams Grove.
Give the Big Cars a chance' they still could be the cars of the future!!
mr nobody (Offline)
  #39 9/3/12 1:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson:
Per USACRacing.com

USAC Sprint Car Schedule -

Oct 12 2012 Terre Haute, IN Terre Haute Action Track Dirt
Oct 14 2012 Lake Odessa, MI I-96 Speedway Dirt

USAC Crown Schedule -
Oct 13 2012 Terre Haute, IN Terre Haute Action Track Dirt
Already saw that on USAC.com, Tim. What I am saying is this: ARCA can work with Track Enterprises to get a rain date, why can't USAC? Why couldn't ARCA, USAC and Track Enterprises work together to get a weekend at Du Quoin for the races?
racegal (Offline)
  #40 9/3/12 2:03 PM
The Silver Crown cars are magnificent! (sp)
I would HATE to see them go away!

DD FAN-atic!! Susan St. Catherine
God bless America and our troops
4 Likes: IndyBound, mr nobody, SpfldMile, ThePurple73