IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oldtimers race fans poll!
6/8/09, 12:28 PM   #31
Re: Oldtimers race fans poll!
SPRINTCAR

Hell I don't know. I was three years old when I started going to races. That was 1959.

6/8/09, 2:45 PM   #32
nonwing

I was born in 1961. My dad had raced midgets right after WWII until the early 1950's. In about 1963 he bought a Helliguas Offy and we ran with IMCA. For many years I got to see several state fairs every summer as we followed the IMCA circuit. I remember Jerry Blundy, Dick Sutcliff, Cliff Blundy, Bill Utz, etc. It was a fun time and I can still hear those guys qualify as we sat under those covered grandstands. I loved the cars that ran their tail pipes all the way back and behind the rear tires. Now that was a great sound.

Later, in the late 60's and 70's we started to run over in Ohio at tracks like Lima, Eldora and Fremont with Hal Minyard as our driver. My Dad did not care for USAC in those days. They had their noses up in the air and when we ran with IMCA and the local Ohio tracks we were always treated like they wanted us to be there. So we did not race with USAC until I started driving midgets in 1986.

George Wilkins

6/8/09, 2:49 PM   #33
Amatiforever

Of course I have! Some of the best races ever. The "one-armed bandit" made it look easy.

6/8/09, 2:57 PM   #34
interpreter66

imca in the 70's at plant field

6/8/09, 3:10 PM   #35
Beer Goggles

Toledo in the 60's for me.

6/8/09, 4:28 PM   #36
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Please tell me was racing a hell of better then and everybody had fun!!!!!!!1

6/8/09, 5:21 PM   #37
billyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
Please tell me was racing a hell of better then and everybody had fun!!!!!!!1
You Bet Duke, Big time auto racing today, got to have a stable of multi-cars. I remember we had to change the one car over from dirt to pavement & run the same car on weekends. If you crashed , you used cutting torch, welder & porta power, & raced the next day. Now its just a money game.

6/8/09, 6:53 PM   #38
brc

Seadog,

Wow!...Cool been going to races since '55! I admire anyone that sticks with anything!!!,,,for the log of time. Just curious. Think about it,,,from all the races you've seen, who would you say was your favorite driver to watch when He/She,,... showed up? I wonder how many tracks you could think of when you first started going to races are now strip malls,or sub-divisions?,,, I can think of several around here that urbam sprawl has consumed.

Take Care,
Barry

6/8/09, 7:16 PM   #39
Danny Burton

1st USAC race I can recall had to be Salem, early 60s. 1st car I remember was the Fike Plumbing #51 driven by Rufus. Been going off and on ever since.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

6/8/09, 7:35 PM   #40
aceace

My first race was Bloomington in April,1964 when I was 2 months old. I couldn't see the races because a large breast was in my face...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oldtimers race fans poll!