IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > so...
7/24/09, 4:07 PM   #31
Re: so...
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
They were. NASCAR fans are the ones that think you have to stand,even when you can see everything perfectly sitting down.

Note to Pat Sullivan,in the future races please ask the fans not to stand!
That is the number 1 reason that I don't go to NASCAR races.(Or more like number 2 since I am an open wheel fan first).

7/24/09, 8:08 PM   #32
Re: so................................................ ...............
nowitsdark

I have been going to ORP (IRP) since I was a wee lad (some 30 years now). Back in the days when ASA was the major stock series and ARCA was a bunch of junkers.

The SCs had a lot of cache when the came on the scene but now they seem like an anachronism. Guys have been swapping around the same 30 cars for a decade. I would bet that the field last night was the majority of SC cars that exist in the world. Many of them broke down in 5-20 laps. With the midgets running a few tenths faster at ORP and the sprints faster at Richmond I just don't see the point of this series any more. The effort some years ago to redesign them to run on bigger tracks was an utter failure. Not sure what the solution is but they can't keep trotting out the same vintage cars year after year to follow each other around on the pavement tracks.

ORP is a great track for the midgets (better than the sprints IMO). Not sure why ... they can run multiple lines I suppose though they do top out on HP at the end of the straights.

7/24/09, 9:33 PM   #33
Re: so................................................ ...............
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsdark View Post
The SCs had a lot of cache when the came on the scene but now they seem like an anachronism. Guys have been swapping around the same 30 cars for a decade. I would bet that the field last night was the majority of SC cars that exist in the world.
So? Before the era of the throw away car, cars ran for a decade(s). Cars had as much of a history as a lot of the drivers! What is wrong with that? The division has always been referred to as a "throw back" division, so the cars being around a while, should coincide with that.

Quote:
Many of them broke down in 5-20 laps. With the midgets running a few tenths faster at ORP and the sprints faster at Richmond I just don't see the point of this series any more.
At least 21-22 cars finished. So saying "Many of them broke down in 5-20 laps", is not an accurate statement. The first 2 cars that pulled out, were asked to pull-in, because they were off pace. That leaves 6-7 with mechanicals, or other reasons, pulling out.
I also don't see how 17 Sprint Cars running at Richmond will eliminate a series that is starting to get back on it's feet, after essentially being wiped out. A division, that previous to being eliminated, was averaging 50 cars at IRP, TWICE A YEAR!! With owners like Johnny Vance getting back in, that is a good sign for the future of this division, no matter how much faster the Midgets are at IRP.

Quote:
The effort some years ago to redesign them to run on bigger tracks was an utter failure. Not sure what the solution is but they can't keep trotting out the same vintage cars year after year to follow each other around on the pavement tracks.

ORP is a great track for the midgets (better than the sprints IMO). Not sure why ... they can run multiple lines I suppose though they do top out on HP at the end of the straights.
A lot of those cars are not that "vintage", but think what you will... And the ones that are over 10 years old... THAT'S GREAT!!! Sure beats buying a new car every year.... To run 5-6 races.

And going along the lines that Spridge had said? What race were you watching (sorry Rob), there were battles and passing going on all over the place. No, it was not the most exciting race ever run, by far. But watching Brad Sweet lead all 30 laps from the pole at Terre Haute wasn't exactly thrilling either?

The other thing that I always admire is that these cars are running essentially the same horsepower as the nascar trucks & cars that are running at IRP (BTW Chet Fillip's pole time: 21.257, the pole time for the truck race: 22.458). Yet they weigh approx. 2k less, and are running with Open Wheels, and they go 100 laps, Green to Checkers!!! How many consecutive laps without a yellow will the Trucks & Nationwide cars go???

The Silver Crown series has by far, if I may borrow a line from Pat Sullivan, "The best in the business"!!

7/24/09, 10:57 PM   #34
psullivan

....the Truck race was actually pretty good

7/25/09, 12:12 AM   #35
Jim Halpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
....the Truck race was actually pretty good
No offense Pat, but I was watching a real race at Bloomington...wish you were there, you would have been fun to listen to on the PA at the end of that one!! I'm too lazy to go back and look, but whoever is recommending that the silver crown series be scratched needs to get off it...that series means a lot to a lot of people. The crowds are still good, the racing is still good, and having a series with history like that is rare.

7/25/09, 6:42 AM   #36
psullivan

I'm a sprint car fan first and foremost - - but at some points on this board the notion is offered that everything else besides sprints - be in mods or stocks - suck. After watching multiple posts about how utterly boring the NASCAR races would be at ORP - the bold fact is that there were many passes for the lead and some good action in the Truck race. Objectively it was a better "race" than the Silver Crown race. On record I will take a bad SC race any day. I'm sorry but the Truck race is still a real race regardless if it is your cup of tea or not. If you can die doing it- it isn't a joke.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > so...