IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How old is old enough?
2/9/15, 4:44 PM   #21
Re: How old is old enough?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigq11 View Post
There must have been exceptions to this rule as I was there when a 13 year old Jeff Gordon raced there. It was an ASCOC Speed Week race, maybe they allowed someone of that age to race and Earl went by their rules as they sanctioned the race. One thing I noticed about Jeff at this race and the other Speed Week races that year was that he seemed the have a tremendous awareness of what was happening around him on the track at all times.

I still think it should be 16 or older to run a 410 sprint car.
I think your mistaken. Gordon got a exemption at age 15 to run the kings royal because it was only a couple weeks till his 16th in August but was banned before that. Not sure on the sprintweek, He might have for that as well but Earl was a flat 16 the entire time he owned the track. He raced the 16car then got the 6 Winterbothem. He did drive at Millstream and other tracks like Attica as I watched and talked to him there before he was 16. Raced Lawrenceburg almost weekly at 14-15 along with Joey Saldana, Huntley, Briscoe, Randy Kinser, Shields' Blands and Rice's.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/17/15 at 10:55 AM.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jts56
2/9/15, 4:57 PM   #22
DAD

Eldora's race procedures and rules from their web site.http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/wp-con...procedures.pdf

The MMSA ran into this problem a few years ago with a young driver racing for points.

Honest Dad himself

2/9/15, 5:28 PM   #23
sprinter14

Glad to see everyone on IOW seems to be thinking along the right lines here.

I announced at the BOSS banquet back in November that beginning in 2015, BOSS now requires drivers to be a minimum of 16 years of age.

I've known this was a problem for years. We have kids 8 and 9 years old racing full size V-8 modifieds here in Ohio. I'm hoping to be a sanction that starts putting a stop to this.

I'm also researching effective ways to implement random drug testing ......... but that's another discussion.

Aaron Fry
Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series

2/9/15, 5:45 PM   #24
chop

Nascar's Mark Martin had a son that was the next great thing a few years ago. Seemed like he was racing full size cars at 13. Then it seemed like he fell of the edge of the world. Does his story fit into this discussion? How old was Bill's son Chase when he was in a full size car? I would like to see 16 and under, only race with other under 16 year olds. Have then in a slower class, on tracks at or smaller then 3/8 miles.

2/9/15, 6:01 PM   #25
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
Nascar's Mark Martin had a son that was the next great thing a few years ago. Seemed like he was racing full size cars at 13. Then it seemed like he fell of the edge of the world. Does his story fit into this discussion? How old was Bill's son Chase when he was in a full size car? I would like to see 16 and under, only race with other under 16 year olds. Have then in a slower class, on tracks at or smaller then 3/8 miles.
chop

Mark and his son were smart enough and mature enough to realize that racing was not what the young man enjoyed or wanted to do. He had the talent but not the desire.

Honest Dad himself

2/9/15, 6:38 PM   #26
ThePurple73

I would go with the states legal age. That way adults are making adult decisions.
Probably solves many issues.

2/9/15, 6:48 PM   #27
sprntr

I'd vote for 16. If the State doesn't allow them on the Highway, I don't want them on the track around my equipment.

2/9/15, 6:50 PM   #28
TQ29m

Wonder what Mark has planned for the future now, he has stated only dirt races in his future? Bob

2/9/15, 9:01 PM   #29
JazzTrombonist

Race Count Last Year: 44

Karts, quarter midgets, junior sprints, 250 micros, 600 modified midgets, mini wedges, legend cars, compacts and the list goes on. There are plenty of options for youngsters to learn and I'm all for it.

As for full size race cars 18 or 16 probationary period.

2/9/15, 11:03 PM   #30
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
Matt Martin (Mark's son) decided that racing wasn't for him on a professional level. Matt took his fathers passion for physical fitness and made a career out of it. He is now a physical trainer at Hendrick Motorsports.

Mark is spending a lot of time at the dirt tracks now and is a major sponsor of Jared Landers and Scott Bloomquist.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How old is old enough?