IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sportsman Midget/Lightning Sprint Race at DuQuoin
12/10/14, 3:22 AM   #21
Re: Sportsman Midget/Lightning Sprint Race at DuQuoin
jdull99

Or how about "200HP Midgets"? (and then keep the rules & tech so the cars stay in that range...?)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/10/14, 6:46 AM   #22
DAD

Jason

Who wants to stay the same. We have been able to improve year in and year out because the manufactures have done it for us. Compare a newer automotive 4 valve engine to a Pinto motor, compare a late model motorcycle to an old oil cooled Suzuki. We are the next best thing to a Full Midget at one sixth the cost. Sidewinders are neat but we are the "Real Deal". I have said for years put a side winder driver in one of our cars and it would be hard to put them back in the little cars.

I am with Wayne hopefully our day will come, we have been very fortunate to date, Money has not really raised it's ugly head, with the Mini Sprints mostly because throwing money at a high performance 1000 cc motorcycle engine is useless, and with the case of the small automotive engine powered Midget because the rule makers have saw fit to make easily enforceable rules to hold them in check.

BEWARE:: While throwing money at a Motorcycle engine does not yield much increase in power the same can not be said for the Automotive type engines. Remember the Lawn Mower and the Formula I Motors. Horsepower is in the Head>>>> durability is in materials and design. We can re engineer an Echo Tec and in a short period of time turn it into a Full Bore $40,000.00 National Midget Motor. That should not be our desire. But Human Nature being what it is, is what will happen without a very good set of rules. A $4000.00 cylinder head could turn an Echo tec into a Monster but the rods and pistons would govern the amount of power that it could develop for an extended period of time.

Midgets lost control when everybody started using purpose built heads, blocks and internals seeking more power and durability over stock. The motor design of choice for a Midget is 50 years old. A lot has happened in those years. Rules have been made to encourage the continued use of purpose built race engines over the development of new engines as they have come on line.

We are on to something in our "----------" type Midgets whether Motorcycle or newer Automotive engines design. We are ready to break out and move up. Lets use our heads and do it right. Heck who knows in a few years we might be racing over sized electric powered RC Cars and looking for high performance cheater batteries. Ask Casey Shuman.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/11/14 at 6:58 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/10/14, 6:47 AM   #23
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I like "Just over 2-Litre Shaft/Around 1-Litre Chain Depending on Where You Run Normally Midgets with "Litre" Spelled Funny for Our Mates Down Under".
Relax, I'm kidding; IMRA, SSMS and the Montpelier Midget Series all use the term "Midget" with no modifier to describe their respective clubs. Each has a slightly different rules package but so do USAC and POWRI. At the risk of sounding political, we coud use the slogan "Equal Rights Midgets - We Don't Discriminate!"
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

12/10/14, 6:59 AM   #24
DAD

Jim

I knew there was a name I had left out. "Litre Midget" with the down under spelling but then you are putting your self in a pigeon hole again. We started out "1200 Outlaw Mini Sprint" and then the manufactures started placing their interest in 1000cc Motors and we had to change the whole name thing around. Times change.

Honest Dad himself

12/10/14, 7:03 AM   #25
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

That's why I added "Just Over" and "Around", to allow wiggle room. But again it's, ah say it's a joke, son.
What is it the late, great Chris Economaki once said? "Let 'em all run!"
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

12/10/14, 7:08 AM   #26
DAD

Jim

"Ah say it's a joke, son" quote: Foghorn Leghorn

"Let them all run!" Amen

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/10/14 at 7:25 AM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
12/10/14, 1:51 PM   #27
DAD

I think for right now D II Midget should suffice. Just attach any name starting with the letter "D" that you want. If you race a Midget regularly with a group like IMRA You would be expected to race with us under their Rules concerning Porting and pistons valves etc. Bring a copy of their rules with you.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/10/14 at 1:54 PM.

3 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, Ken Bonnema, Wayne Davis
12/10/14, 2:10 PM   #28
Avon Open Wheel fan

[QUOTE=DAD;399937]I think for right now D II Midget should suffice. Just attach any name starting with the letter "D" that you want. If you race a Midget regularly with a group like IMRA You would be expected to race with us under their Rules concerning Porting and pistons valves etc. Bring a copy of their rules with you.

Honest Dad himself[/QUOT

This sounds perfect and simple to me and eliminates making a bunch of rules that already are out there.

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/10/14, 5:31 PM   #29
Avon Open Wheel fan

Looking like a great car count so far I have drivers from Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Indiana and Missouri.

www.illinimidgets.com

12/10/14, 9:04 PM   #30
racebum

This thread is reminding me of the NATIONAL MIDGET FORUM from a few years back. It might be time to think about it again but as a SPORTSMAN MIDGET FORUM. The National Forum gathered all of the Midget leaders together to discuss the state of Midget Racing. They would talk about rules, safety, tires, accidents that happened and how to prevent them, insurance, promotion etc. The forum had no power to make things happen but just by talking it through things did change for the better. Just a thought.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sportsman Midget/Lightning Sprint Race at DuQuoin