IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank you Mel for trying
8/2/14, 1:24 PM   #21
Re: Thank you Mel for trying
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Theres probably a big difference in Quit and being able to lose your ass multiple times.

I quit any negative talk over a month ago knowing it wasn't helping anything.

For now, I can only hope it isn't true, but have the feeling it is.

8/2/14, 2:08 PM   #22
PJ Wright

Sad. I've only been to GC about 10 times, but I completely enjoyed each visit and have some great memories from there. Like Jerry said, THANK YOU Mel for trying.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mc/rider, PIT CART, speed bump
8/2/14, 3:14 PM   #23
Nate

I talked to Mel last night before I left the track and thanked him for all he's done this year. Usually a pretty upbeat guy when I've been around him he seemed discouraged last night.

It really is a shame more cars don't show up and more people don't come out, I've been at just about every show this year and the track has been great every night except one and have seen some great racing.

I hope the track can keep running but unfortunately I know that money dictates.

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, sc17x
8/2/14, 3:15 PM   #24
hoosier race fan

The downward trend of this track and the support of race fans and teams started long before Mel took over. The only fans left are the diehard sprint fans that only go to see sprints and midgets each week. While that is a crowd you need, there are so many open wheel options in Indiana on any given weekend that you can't rely on that group alone to keep your gates open. Fans are naturally going to stop coming when you've ran the exact same show for 6+ years. Sprints, mods, and a handful of stocks every Friday night. Nothing different to generate interest from fans of anything else, or to give the fans that had been going every week something different to see. The peak years of this track saw a variety of different events throughout the year, and a tremendous effort by Jiggs Thomason and his staff to get new fans to the track every single week. When that changed around 2006 or 2007, things started to move in the wrong direction. It is truly a shame because it is a great facility, and there are some wonderful people that have worked and raced there. Hopefully someone with the financial means necessary can step in, learn from what has led to the decline of the track, and help get back to what made it successful to save the place.

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
8/2/14, 3:23 PM   #25
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
The downward trend of this track and the support of race fans and teams started long before Mel took over...Fans are naturally going to stop coming when you've ran the exact same show for 6+ years. Sprints, mods, and a handful of stocks every Friday night. Nothing different to generate interest from fans of anything else, or to give the fans that had been going every week something different to see.
Mel has tried that this year...it doesn't seem to help. People often complain not too many tracks run midgets, he's brought midgets back. He's tried bringing in that AMCS series and other smaller series' to race. He's doing this bike race thing trying to get kids there and last night did that exhibition but to no avail. It's just a shame all around. I realize the weather was working against the track last night but as you said this isn't a new development.

8/2/14, 3:36 PM   #26
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Mel has tried that this year...it doesn't seem to help. People often complain not too many tracks run midgets, he's brought midgets back. He's tried bringing in that AMCS series and other smaller series' to race. He's doing this bike race thing trying to get kids there and last night did that exhibition but to no avail. It's just a shame all around. I realize the weather was working against the track last night but as you said this isn't a new development.
You are right that he is trying a few things, but the problem is that it is too late now to make a substantial difference in the way things are going. I don't think Midgets were the solution because Montpelier already has them, and other groups like TQ's and mini-sprints aren't going to attract a lot of fans that wouldn't already come. As we both mentioned, this is something that started a long time before Mel took over. It will take a while to regain the support of the fans that have stopped coming and for things to start moving back in the right direction.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish
8/2/14, 3:49 PM   #27
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Mel got hurt by the weather last night. The storms at times were literally close enough that you could see it raining hard a mile away. I wasnt too confident that I would see a feature but it only sprinkled and we got lucky. I drove from Indy and took the chance but maybe there arent as many that are as crazy as I am Either way it was a hell of a race and those that decided not to go missed a good one.
It was pretty much the same a week earlier. I left home with sprinkles and when I got out of the car at Gas City it started sprinkling as well. The racing was good but the crowd was down.

8/2/14, 9:53 PM   #28
cleatziff

If you want to fix the front gate at gas city fix the grand stand. Gas city has great racing but i am not willing to spend my money to sit there and be uncomfortable. I am equal distance from two friday night tracks. If i was able to watch comfortably then gas city would definitely be my choice. Until then my money goes south on friday and in my pocket for special shows.

1 member likes this post: Obie
8/2/14, 10:18 PM   #29
PIT CART

The city will not let them put new bleachers in from what I have been told. They have normal bleachers also right out of turn 4 plus the bleachers pit side. Please tell me what track you sit at that the bleachers are so comfy.

1 member likes this post: Half fast
8/2/14, 10:27 PM   #30
cleatziff

Compared to gas city... Lawrenceburg putnamville Kokomo bloomington... Ive have also heard the city won't let them rebuild the bleachers. Regardless of the political atmosphere i am going where i am comfortable. I like gas city's racing. I dont lije being uncomfortable. As far as the turn 4 bleachers. They are more comfortable but only about 5-6 rows hugh compared to the main grandstand. (Lawrenceburg is probably not a fair argument in this conversation)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank you Mel for trying