IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC tire rule
12/31/13, 8:22 PM   #21
Re: USAC tire rule
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Weekly tracks were involved in this decision. At least three of them are the ones who got this ball rolling. Can't imagine all Indiana tracks not going with the same tire rule to keep things consistent. Paragon being the exception because they are an open tire track. This new tire is a little harder than an HT2 so it should hold edges better and be able to run a few times. It is also not a cambered tire so it can be flipped, according to the Hoosier rep I spoke to at PRI. Maybe with a narrower and harder tire the tracks won't seal over and rubber up. Trying to look on the bright side of this change. There will be positives to come out of it!

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

4 members like this post: DaveP63, Dirtfan, fish, Pat O'Connor Fan
12/31/13, 8:29 PM   #22
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

This should answer anyone's questions IMO.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

12/31/13, 9:36 PM   #23
Jerry Spencer

You know we bought our first new right rear wheel this year since Josh started in a sprint car, I had a page and a half typed out on what I thought about the tire rule, then I thought I busted my a^% today at work for people that could care less about me our my family then I thought U.S.A.C. could care less weather we sign in or not so why waste my time making people mad.

When we park the #66 I will tell you this I will never walk past another gate at a race track because I am sick of the ******** that goes with racing.

Sorry if I offended anybody and by the way we trashed the new wheel on june 16th at Kokomo.

Open the rules and let the people that have money spend it, let the people like us that do not catch up a little at a time just stop changing the rules so that everything we have worked hard to catch up with is no longer any good.

I also know we will more than likely stay home for the local U.S.A.C. shows and watch tv, Sprint week and the Smackdown will be a few days off to ride or relax and who knows we might just get used to it.

And just so you know I have not had a drop to drink

Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 12/31/13 at 9:42 PM.

6 members like this post: Bad Dad 54, racer58, rottn, spicoli, TQ29m, welder
12/31/13, 9:48 PM   #24
groove grabber

Buy a cheap midget, u can rent it out at the bowl and buy all the Sprint tires ul need

2 members like this post: amati, rottn
12/31/13, 9:50 PM   #25
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
You know we bought our first new right rear wheel this year since Josh started in a sprint car, I had a page and a half typed out on what I thought about the tire rule, then I thought I busted my a^% today at work for people that could care less about me our my family then I thought U.S.A.C. could care less weather we sign in or not so why waste my time making people mad.

When we park the #66 I will tell you this I will never walk past another gate at a race track because I am sick of the ******** that goes with racing.

Sorry if I offended anybody and by the way we trashed the new wheel on june 16th at Kokomo.

Open the rules and let the people that have money spend it, let the people like us that do not catch up a little at a time just stop changing the rules so that everything we have worked hard to catch up with is no longer any good.

And just so you know I have not had a drop to drink

Jerry

I love BW3 Wild Wings, last time I went it cost me $58 for 2 people, 3 beers, 12 wings, 1 sandwich, 2 fries..... That was a year ago... I can afford it, but, there comes a time when if customers do not respond, then they will continue to take advantage of you! Everybody stay home till someone looks after their customers or they will continue to stick it in you!!!! Last night I went to Wing n it , had same meal for $33! And yes, I have been drinking since noon!

12/31/13, 10:10 PM   #26
rottn

The cambered tire can be flipped and ran I've done it and won with it. Also we run on dryslick tracks and the HT2 holds up fine we have gotten 3-4 nights out of them easy. We even ran USAC take offs last year and they lasted a few night apiece easy.

1 member likes this post: red70racer
12/31/13, 10:23 PM   #27
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove grabber View Post
Buy a cheap midget, u can rent it out at the bowl and buy all the Sprint tires ul need
And be part of the problem, no thanks

Jerry

1 member likes this post: Josh Spencer
12/31/13, 10:37 PM   #28
groove grabber

I dont consider myself part of the problem, im doing what i gotta do to make it work, i dont see the world of motorsports changing because i want it too unfortunately thanks.

2 members like this post: Jerry Shaw, JMA1181
1/1/14, 3:15 AM   #29
Honest-Sam

Drinking? Yes
Confused? Yes

Nobody has responded to Tracy Hines' question yet.

I thought that whole point of a 'tire rule' was to prevent the 'little guy' from complaining about the 'big guys' going out with brand new soft tires every time on the track except for the feature (maybe). I sorta think that the tire rule thing levels the playing field at least a little bit. On pavement, we are restricted to how many we may purchase. What if that migrates to the dirt? I once heard Phil Poor say, about tires, that the best deal, is no deal. I am almost certain that he meant that from a competitor's standpoint. Meaning, that we should have the freedom to run whatever is fastest. So, while having choices is nice, it ain't necessarily cheaper. If we could, we'd burn through as many tires as we could. But maybe, just maybe, a compound rule helps a little. But just a little.

1/1/14, 4:23 PM   #30
lovindirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
As a fan who pays $$$ to watch our sport, I have been following this thread. Let me see if I have this right:

If USAC goes to a spec 16" RR tire in 2014, why are they doing that? To cut costs for their competitors? The spec tire, bought in abundance, will lower the price for all? And, in theory, it will level the playing field and probably be easier to police in the tech inspection. Sounds like a good idea. Especially if you only ran USAC events.

BUT, the tracks in and around the area with a weekly sprint show have a more lenient RR tire rule, wherein a 17" or 18" RR tire would be a better ticket than a smaller 16" RR tire. So, all teams with 16" RR tires would use them only in the USAC sanctioned races.

If most teams have been running the larger tires, if USAC changes their tire rule for 2014, to run USAC races they would now need to stock up on 16" wheels. The subject of the debate is the cost of the wheels moreso than the cost of the 16" spec tires?

What is the average price of a top shelf wheel and just for my own notes, how many RR wheels did you guys go through this past season, Jerry? You guys ran weekly this past year. Anyone else who also runs weekly, please chime in for that matter. I am just trying to get my head around how much you guys spend on that one specific item annually - RR wheels.
Not really the point in my opinion, the price of wheels. its the constant changes and all the stupid local tracks always following suit. Just open it back up locally to all goes. And you should see the car counts come back somewhat. Let USAC have their own stupid rules and let the locals do as they should. Build a sprint car, bring it and race it.
If locals are going to police tire's and next well you can't have this and that and this and that.
I'm tired of Hoosier controlling everything, OPEN it up and get it over with. Let the car counts try to come back. Locals is supposed to be open competition, not with this and that rule. You will see a USAC million dollar team show up and beat guys no matter what tire rule you have . Its just another way for Hoosier to make some more money, and USAC to get some extra with following along with what Hoosier wants. It would be different if they said well it will save you money. Here's a tire that will last 3 or 4 nites and only cost ya a 100 dollar bill but no it will not last that long and it sure won't be that cheap. All Gas City the Burg and Rutnumville and the others have to do is say hey enough is enough. USAC we'll race your rules and use what you want when your at our track but otherwise stay out of our business. And if Hoosier is going to continue to pay people off then I guess American Racer and Good Year better step up their game. JMO Sorry if you disagree with me. But I am really tired of the monopoly that has been taking place. this is America and we are not supposed to have monopoly's, even though we turn a blind eye all the time in other places does not mean the racing community has to follow suit. AGAIN JMO. JEFF

3 members like this post: CSmith66, JackSam40, mscs20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC tire rule