IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racerdog45
  #21 3/13/10 3:38 PM
my favorite/best sprint race also happened the same night as my favorite/best dirt champ, midget and modified races occured. September 28, 1998 as Jack Hewitt swept the 4-crown! By far the one night of racing that I will never forget and will always remain the best night of racing, to see all 4 cars and Jack on the frontstrech long after the races were over as he signed and talked made the whole night that much more special PLUS the races were actually very very good! Too damn bad Smoke ruined the 4-crown with this split night, wanged sh**, I actually went to the Jackson 100 last year instead of 3 Crown...
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #22 3/13/10 3:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce Harrison:
I was at North Vernon that night, that would be my vote - 3 wide coming off 4 for the checkers. That was the 1st of Ron Shuman's NWWC shows. It rained in the morning and was nearly canceled.
Bruce you are correct. I was thinking it was a USAC show. I told you my mind wasn't as good as it used to be. I remember I almost didn't go due to the weather. Another reason that I always seem to hold out hope that they will get the show in.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
racegal (Offline)
  #23 3/13/10 4:51 PM
[QUOTE=terrehautian;160700]The USAC TH race where Levi blew a tire (after doing some other stuff I didn't think was right), and then other ran out of gas. Way exciting to see a finish that was interesting.

A close second was when I think Dave Darland and someone else was battling each other up until the final laps to win a USAC race and was using the whole track and bumping the wall in turn 4. I can't remember dates, but that was exciting.[/QUOTE

Could the race of your 2nd choice have been DD and Clauson opening night of Sprint Week at Lawenceburg? That was a great race!

My favorite all time race is The Bob Darland Memorial 2008!!!

DD FAN-atic!! Susan St. Catherine
God bless America and our troops
ByronMack (Offline)
  #24 3/13/10 4:53 PM
There's too many to list all of them, but the sprint week finale at Tri- State
ast year. The Sheldon Kinser Memorial, awesome to watch a young up and comer chargebfrom the back. Also another one was T-Mez come from the back not once,but twice in the feature at LPS last year, not sure of the date.
Posted via Mobile Device
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #25 3/13/10 5:32 PM
I'm back. Dirt non wing would be Indiana State Fairgrounds, 1975 or 76, Dickson and Bettenhausen. Dickson won and Gary B tore the left front off trying to go under him in one, with one or two to go. They were the best there was at the time , doing it better then anyone else.
Levi and BC , or Jon and Daron at Haubstadt were a close second.

Wings would be 1978 at Susky. Lynn Paxton in the big block Boops car went to the tail twice in a 25 lap feature and won. It was impressive to watch.
BrentTFunk (Online)
  #26 3/13/10 7:01 PM
The more races you see, it seems the less you remember about each one. One that for sure sticks in my mind is Mark Cassella's win at Lawreneburg in the Stapp 4U.
smith19 (Offline)
  #27 3/13/10 7:28 PM
hoosier fall classic. gary wright wins it from the tail. not sure of the year.
JJMooney (Offline)
  #28 3/13/10 8:36 PM
Originally Posted by dkdorkboy:
99 at Twin cities.I think it was Non Wing World Championship race.If memory serves me correct Tony Elliott won.Six different drivers led a lap at the flagstand.Witnessed by probaly 150 people it was by far the best race I ever saw.Thinking back ,I don't think I've ever saw a bad race at Twin City.
That NWWC race at North Vernon is at the top of my “best list”. Also ranking close to the top of my list is the “three-wide-photo-finish-in-the-fog” during Sprintweek at Putnamville in ’99 where Dave Darland beat Yeley and Cruseman at the checkers.

However, THE best sprint race I ever saw, from start to finish, has to be the first K.I.S.S. race ever held at Haubstadt, in 2001. The battle up front was intense all race long with Troy Link, Will Newlin and Dickie Gaines all making mad stabs at the lead with wicked sliders. While all this is taking place, Justin Marvel is making a charge from deep, deep in the field and pulls out the win at the end. If I remember correctly, all 30 laps went non-stop, green to checker.
racerdog45
  #29 3/13/10 9:19 PM
Originally Posted by smith19:
hoosier fall classic. Gary wright wins it from the tail. Not sure of the year.
JEFFSTOY (Offline)
  #30 3/13/10 10:56 PM
By far it is the night Terry Pletch took the hulman classic from the back of the heat, semi, feature. i think he also won a last chance qualifier that night