IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ft. Wayne 5/8 speedway
6/25/09, 5:25 PM   #21
Re: Ft. Wayne 5/8 speedway
old time Hoosier

The car was black with a yellow lightening bolt painted on the side and "Dutch Hurst Motors' 309 N. High Street Muncie, Indiana painted on top of the hood. Dutch had a car dealership at 309 N. High street and on the back ,west, wall had a HUGE photo of midgets running three abreast at Cincinnati, Ohio. I met Hurst and O Connor at the old Turner Alignment Shop in eastern Muncie in 1949 or 1950. Turner had a brisk race car business with roadsters, midgets, big cars and modified stock cars in and out of his shop and at the time I hung my hat about 1 block away.

6/25/09, 7:43 PM   #22
Modocer 57

Saw many races at Ft.Wayne speedway, two of the races I recall had bad wrecks. One with Leroy Warnier (sp) going over the backstretch wall and thru a few billboards, the other was Ed Elison (sp) in I think in the Iddings car and Red Renner. Some good shows also with Eddie Sachs and Bob Sweithert.

6/25/09, 8:15 PM   #23
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time hoosier View Post
the car was black with a yellow lightening bolt painted on the side and "dutch hurst motors' 309 n. High street muncie, indiana painted on top of the hood. Dutch had a car dealership at 309 n. High street and on the back ,west, wall had a huge photo of midgets running three abreast at cincinnati, ohio. I met hurst and o connor at the old turner alignment shop in eastern muncie in 1949 or 1950. Turner had a brisk race car business with roadsters, midgets, big cars and modified stock cars in and out of his shop and at the time i hung my hat about 1 block away.
call ron burton his dad was everett burton killed at kokomo! In indy he will tell it was maroon and white 309 joe zimmmerman own it! When pat drove it! Don't want to fight with you!

6/25/09, 9:46 PM   #24
old time Hoosier

No fighting from me, I'm to damn old. The Mutual Roadster that Pat O Connor drove when I was in Turners Alignment Shop was a BLACK car with YELLOW lightening bolts down the side and the '309' was inside one of the lightening bolts. DUTCH HURST MOTORS was painted on top of the hood with the address 309 N. HIGH STREET MUNCIE, INDIANA. True fact plain and simple. I am very aware of the Everett 'Baldy' Burton Kokomo crash and the fact that his starting position for the upcoming Little 500, where he had already qualified, was left open during the parade laps. I was there.

6/26/09, 9:06 AM   #25
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time hoosier View Post
no fighting from me, i'm to damn old. The mutual roadster that pat o connor drove when i was in turners alignment shop was a black car with yellow lightening bolts down the side and the '309' was inside one of the lightening bolts. Dutch hurst motors was painted on top of the hood with the address 309 n. High street muncie, indiana. True fact plain and simple. I am very aware of the everett 'baldy' burton kokomo crash and the fact that his starting position for the upcoming little 500, where he had already qualified, was left open during the parade laps. I was there.
no lightening no black no gold! It had a white diamond with 309 in it!~~~

6/26/09, 3:55 PM   #26
old time Hoosier

I have a cousin who still lives in Muncie and his wife is Dutch Hursts granddaughter. Although she was not much into the racing thing I have emailed her just to see if she might by chance have a photo of the 309 Mutual roadster that had DUTCH HURST MOTORS, 309 N. HIGH STREET MUNCIE, INDIANA painted on top of the hood. While we are locking antlers over this deal here is another one from that era. The canary yellow #25 driven by Red Amick was reportedly built in California by Clay Smith, sold to Andy Granatelli for his 'Hurricane' association and purchased later by Amick. What do you know of this car?

6/26/09, 5:00 PM   #27
TQ29m

Red Amick was my hero, and that car was one bad hombre, used to watch them guys have at it at Columbus, in, and once in a while we'd go to Franklin. Those were good times,and good racin. Bob

7/4/09, 4:03 PM   #28
Dusty Goggles

Well guys and gals......Duke is right on this one. The Zimmerman car 309 had a big white diamond on the side. Here is a photo from Winchester with Pat O'Conner driving. Everett Burton and others also drove the car.
Dusty

2 members like this post: rdzsprint, SUPERDUKE
7/4/09, 4:25 PM   #29
Dusty Goggles

Another one of the 309 car. I can't say the're were no lightening bolts but I don't remember that or have I ever seen any photos of a paint job like that on the 309. As we know sometimes they did things for a special race and it may have been a one race deal??? I do have other photos of a different car that was owned by Dutch Hurst that was the "house" car that had a Desoto engine in it. That one had Dutch Hurst motors on it. I think at that time Everett Burton was the mechanic and sometimes driver, but several drivers drove it from time to time.
Dusty

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
7/4/09, 7:41 PM   #30
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I'am old but i know what i'am talking about!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ft. Wayne 5/8 speedway