IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WHere is non wing racing going wrong.
10/13/07, 10:09 AM   #21
Re: WHere is non wing racing going wrong.
SpfldMile

Motormasher, I like wing racing and I see it often. The cars are faster and they are stuck to the track more. I do disagree with you that they are more exciting, though. I like watching sprints really back it in the corner and use throttle control to go to the front. I saw wing sprints at Granite City last weekend. Other than the leaders lapping cars, there really was no passing. The midget feature was full of good racing. I appreciate your point of view, but as a fan, I like no wings better.

10/13/07, 10:22 AM   #22
Sprint Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormasher View Post
Non wing racing is just not as exciting as wing racing period!
Wings make the cars so much faster and handle so much better it just makes for a better show.
There is nothing wrong with non wingers and I like driving them, but in my own experience it just isn't as exciting.

I hope you don't mind me taking out some of your quotes, but I have some questions for you.

1. If you have driven both wing and non wing, which was the easiest to drive fast?
2. Which REQUIRES the most motor to be competitive? ($$$$$$ wise)
3. Have you ever bicycled a non wing car and not gone ahead and dumped it? (that is excitement)
4. Be honest, would you rather flat foot it wide open pinned to the track under a wing around Bloomington or drive the car into the corner using the brake and the gas at the same time to control the car and then gas it up off the corner with the front wheels a foot off the track all the way down the straight?

Not being critical, not picking on you, just curious as to which you would enjoy most as a driver, or a fan to watch.

No right or wrong answers and not being a smartass, just curious. :thumb:

Last, I agree with Risky 100% pay through the field. Take care of the guys that are puttin' on the show! :thumb:

10/13/07, 11:14 AM   #23
DJ Ott22

[QUOTE=Motormasher;14189]Non wing racing is just not as exciting as wing racing period! I didn't see any non wing race that was as exciting as the WoO show at Haubstadt all year anywhere! And from just what I read on here the Fall Classic was just as good at Lawernceburg.
Wings make the cars so much faster and handle so much better it just makes for a better show.
QUOTE]

Dave,

Just a question... were you not at the KISS race July 8th there? Now if the Outlaws put on a better show than the racing going on throughout the whole field especially the battle between Stanbrough and Clayton im sorry that I missed it. Dont get me wrong I enjoy watching the Outlaws run but I dont believe anyone could ever race as hard as those two did that night.

As for the payout it would be nice to see sanctioning bodies pay out more through the field rather than stacking the top half. MSCS is one of the series that gives 100 tow money and that is great if your night doesnt go as planned. But still agree with Briscoe and others on lets lower the winners purse a little bit and pay more on back. Now im sure if you advertise a 10K race the fans get excited, ready to see some good action because they think if it pays more the drivers are going to race harder, but the truth is racers are going to race as hard as they can for 1k to win or 10k its all a win.

10/13/07, 11:28 AM   #24
RDS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormasher View Post
Non wing racing is just not as exciting as wing racing period! I didn't see any non wing race that was as exciting as the WoO show at Haubstadt all year anywhere! And from just what I read on here the Fall Classic was just as good at Lawernceburg.

Let me extend an open invitation to you to spend a few nights during sprint week an then lets see if you still think the same way. Or better yet visit any of the weekly shows and watch the talent of the drivers and teams that I don't get to see on a weekly basis. My oppinion (and that is all it is, an oppinion) a weekly non-wing sprint race beats any Woo race hands down, at least any that I have seen. As long as I can stand in pits and watch the work being done I can enjoy a night of wing racing. I just don't attend those shows for the racing alone like I do non-wing shows.
Ron

10/13/07, 11:50 AM   #25
Sprint63122

I will just say the WOO is the same as CHOO CHOO anymore they had a good thing about ten years ago and have not been worth a chit since will not waste a penny on them but will gladly pay to watch Clayton and Stanbrough go at any night especially at Haubstadt.

10/13/07, 12:07 PM   #26
dirtywhiteboy

non wing sprintcar racing is by far the better of the two (sadly here in podunk IL) there isn't much of it. MSCS ran at Spoonriver and I saw two of the best races I have ever seen at that track. The wingers run there during the Kowles weekend and they are starting a monthly 410 wing show there now. There is no comparison to the quality of the races between those two cars at that track. Non wing's had passing and multiple grooves.

The biggest thing wing cars have over non wing cars is TV exposure. WoO is on tv and people get the name recognition there. There are no non wing series on TV. Isn't it odd the non wing shows attendance dwindled when USAC left ESPN and how WoO grew when they were on TNT? To me it seems there is some connection there. TV exposure = more butts in the seats.

I will agree with SpfldMile, that midget race at Granite City was a great race.

10/13/07, 12:19 PM   #27
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
non wing sprintcar racing is by far the better of the two (sadly here in podunk IL) there isn't much of it.
Look for that to change in 2008.:thumb:

10/13/07, 12:31 PM   #28
Joey Woods

This thread is about to experience some large numbers. :action-smiley-049:

10/13/07, 12:34 PM   #29
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
Look for that to change in 2008.:thumb:

Care to elaborate on this? What tracks?

10/13/07, 12:52 PM   #30
Sprint Fan

I think it has something to do with a hill that is red!
:rolleyes:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WHere is non wing racing going wrong.