IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Munchkins to enter fray at Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Nationals
11/18/08, 6:30 PM   #21
Re: New Munchkins to enter fray at Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Nationals
STP

Race Count Last Year: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heromaker View Post
And with what you said about his team at the debacle in Liberty..... I am voting not!!!!!
I was listening to TSL a few weeks ago and heard Tony Stewart himself say he was not going to be at the Chili Bowl but was going to try to make it to the Rumble. I understand he has commitments that take presidence over this fun event but it sounded like he intended to go.

Even if he doesn't make it, it's still a cool event to attend. I had a lot of fun watching the younger racers out there. There are some serious drivers coming up through the ranks. Lots of talent.

About the Munchkin engine, I don't think it really matters what engine is in the car he drives. It's his natural driving talent. Not many have the ability to pass like he does. It's a combination of good reflexes and hand/eye coordination.

11/18/08, 6:57 PM   #22
Tony Barhorst

Tony Stewart enters Rumble in Fort Wayne

FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- NASCAR star Tony Stewart has entered the famous Munchkin for both days of the Rumble in Fort Wayne Friday, Dec. 26, and Saturday, Dec. 27, at the Allen County Memorial Coliseum Expo Center, 4000 Parnell Ave. The Rumble includes Rumble Series Midgets, 600 Winged Modified Midgets, go-karts, junior sprints and Lucas Oil Quarter Midgets.

A two-time NASCAR Cup champion, Stewart won the midget feature on the final night last year and was visited victory lane four times since 2005. Billy Wease of Noblesville, Ind., won the opening night.
Stewart, from Columbus, Ind., won his first Rumble in Fort Wayne in 2001, borrowing the Munchkin from Mike Fedorcak that he now owns. He first ran the Rumble in 1999, leading several laps in Joe Gander’s Wild Goose before clipping a marker tire and flipping upside down. “I really enjoy competing up in Fort Wayne and having a chance to pull the Munchkin out of storage,” said Stewart. “I have so much fun running that car at that venue and hope I can be as successful this December as in past years.”

The event is sponsored by Michigan International Speedway, Evans Toyota, Bandido's Mexican Restaurante's, and the Indy DownForce Fan Club.

A complete racing program will be presented each day. All Rumble Series Midget races will be after 7 p.m. Qualifications will be at 4 p.m. Preliminary events for the go-karts, quarter midgets and 600 winged modified midgets will begin at 1:30 p.m. Their features will be after 7 p.m.

The pit gate at the southeast corner of the Expo Center opens at 7:30 a.m. on Friday and 8 a.m. on Saturday. Spectator gates open at noon.

Reserved seats -- the middle two sections of the front straight -- must be purchased in advanced. They are $22.50 for adults for a single day and $41 for two-day. Kids 12 and under are $10 for a one-day and $16 for a two-day.

General admission tickets can be purchased on race day. They are $19 for a single day and $35 for a two-day. Kids 12 and under are$10 for a singe day and $16 for a two-day.
Pt passes are $30 for a single day and $55 for a two-day. Pit passes can only be purchased in person on race weekend. Kids are allowed in the pits.

New luxury seating in the Pressbox Suite Club are available for both days for $110 per night. There is a $25 discount for purchasing both nights. Only 50 luxury seats are available each evening. These include a complimentary cushioned seat on the press box level overlooking the track, a free pit pass, access to the White Room adjacent to the press box level. A “tail gate”-style meal of char-broiled burgers, sliced cheese, condiments, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, baked beans, potato salad and cole slaw. There will be free snacks and drinks throughout the evening. A free program/roster is included. There will be a driver “meet and greet.” Parking is not included.

VISIT www.rumbleseries.com

11/18/08, 8:12 PM   #23
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STP View Post
I was listening to TSL a few weeks ago and heard Tony Stewart himself say he was not going to be at the Chili Bowl but was going to try to make it to the Rumble. I understand he has commitments that take presidence over this fun event but it sounded like he intended to go.

Even if he doesn't make it, it's still a cool event to attend. I had a lot of fun watching the younger racers out there. There are some serious drivers coming up through the ranks. Lots of talent.

About the Munchkin engine, I don't think it really matters what engine is in the car he drives. It's his natural driving talent. Not many have the ability to pass like he does. It's a combination of good reflexes and hand/eye coordination.
ITS NOT A ENGINE! THE MUNCHKIN IS A ROADSTER TYPE CHASSIC!:applaud:

11/18/08, 9:04 PM   #24
RacinJason

It's too bad everyone just accepts these types of things. Specialty cars are not good for the sport. Period. Look what happened to the Focus. Now indoor you need a specialty car? I think it is good to have all different types of cars too. Just not purpose built cars.

11/18/08, 11:01 PM   #25
STP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
ITS NOT A ENGINE! THE MUNCHKIN IS A ROADSTER TYPE CHASSIC!:applaud:
I should have added the apostrophy "s" to Munchkin. I was talking about the engine in it. Forgive me, I'm very sleep deprived.

11/18/08, 11:38 PM   #26
STP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
I guess coming from a meager background, makes me somewhat different, but I don't think we should be limited by what something costs. If someone is innovative enough to engineer and build something "different", and usually, because of the circumstances, less expensive, and available to other competitors, why put a damper on it. I like things simple, and I think it's also easier to control, if it's simple, too many "rules" allow too many interpretations, good example, Nicecar, now just how much can you "cheat" with material thickness, I know, the rulebook has a spec on that also, but is it worth $100,000.00 fine? I hate "spec" classes, and "spec" tires, give me a "rule" on wheelbase, width, chassis material, engine "rule", and let me fill in the middle, it's self controlling that way, not many ways to "cheat" if you keep it simple. I don't think the Munchkin worries anyone with a straightup midget, every racer worth his salt, likes the Winter series, indoors, and I've seen a lot of them run, and usually I feel like it's more driver, than it is design. Bob
I agree with you, Bob. Racing to me is about ingenuity. There's a lot of tinkering to find the right set up. I like a good balance of intelligence and talent in racing. Guys running scrapped together cars pulled in open trailers have just as much of a chance to win as a guy in a top of the line race car towed by a semi hauler.

I think spec engines are good for someone getting started in racing. They offer a good jump start to the mechanical side of racing. The playing field can be evened out and the talent of the driver will be the biggest factor. IMO, the Focus series priced itself out of the competition. They had the right idea.

11/18/08, 11:41 PM   #27
Tony Barhorst

I am not being negative to any comments here about the Munchkin....but I need to point these facts out. John Stanbrough won at Columbus in a non Munchkin Nov 1....and Geoff Kaiser finished second after leading in a dirt car chassis. Billy Wease won at Fort Wayne last year in a non Munchkin. Blake Fitzpatrick won in 2007 at Columbus in a Kenyon Car....and Aaron Pirece nearly beat Rich Corson one year at Fort Wayne in a KENYON CAR!!. The history since 1998 with us is a diverse group of winning cars.

What really comes in handy is having the driving ability Tony Stewart has...because I have seen him go to the front from the back of the pack at Fort Wayne in Joe Ganders Wild Goose also...

No one says you need a specialty car indoors...these new Munckins evolved...and I am not one to interfere once I found out about the new cars...we have taken away the VW's being allowed to run a 12 inch right rear. Next year the weight difference of 50 lbs will be reviewed.

The variety of different cars running with us will continue...along with a variety of drivers from different roots.
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 11/18/08 at 11:49 PM.

11/19/08, 12:43 AM   #28
Hubie

Is it my imagination, or is Charles Nungesters only purpose on this board is to stir ****?

Winning an indoor race is no mean feat. If they have rules and the car fits inside those specifications, then it is legal.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Munchkins to enter fray at Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Nationals