IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #21 4/29/17 3:03 AM
Just to clarify, sprint car's are god almighty!
8 Likes: illinifan, ISF, nathans1012, nicharris02, oppweld, spicoli, TBONE, TNRustler
Simon_says17 (Offline)
  #22 4/29/17 5:01 AM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:
If you guys have a problem with things get a hold of Sherri Heckenast She runs the dirt track but the Dragstrip owns the property and dictates a lot of what nights they run on. She is running mostly mid-week shows so she don't interfere with the other weekly tracks in the region. The only race that will be on the weekend is the World Of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series race there in October. The payout listed is what the POWRi WAR payout for sprints and she is sticking with that for this Wednesday, May 3rd. I know some of you think Sprint Cars are the god almighty but there are other classes out there that are worth a good payout as well. As for the Modifieds in this region of the U.S. $3K and your likely to draw a good 40-50 of them easy. Kenny Wallace has already stated he will be there. If you guys support her now there is a great chance she will do same for you guys down the road. That family has been around racing a long time and Sherri is a former Late Model racer her self. They got a bunch of money and they care about the racers. You guys want a great track here is your chance. Instead of starting B.S. go support her and give them a chance to shine. I know for a fact some of these Modified guys got more in their cars then do a lot of the non-wing sprint cars. Good luck to all the drivers that do show up next Wednesday, May 3rd 2017 to the Dirt Oval at Route 66 Raceway. http://www.dirtoval66.com
Lol, let it be known I read that in ALL CAPS. Lost me at "they got a bunch of money"...
Crankin (Offline)
  #23 4/29/17 12:34 PM
So someone who has experience in promoting (Sherri Heckenast) brings back a track from basically the dead, in a major market, and the complaining already starts???

As Nathan said, she and most of her staff (including an Izzo who is in charge of track prep), have a stock car background... Going back to the Santa Fe days. And yes, they have the funds to do this right!

Open wheel is not in their wheel house, and Ms. Heckenast will be the first to admit this.

I went by the track to take a look about a month ago, and was able to meet Ms. Heckenast. Besides being a super nice lady, the first thing she said was that she did not know the open wheel world all that well, and then proceeded to ask a lot of good questions about how things work in our world.

In other words, she wants to learn, and is looking to do more in the future!! Before race one even starts, going on a message board and already complaining, will not help a thing.

In their world, cars with fenders are king, and that is fine. We should help the process of showing her how good the open wheel world can be too. Not whining about purse structure in an area of the country where non wing sprint cars are at best for now, a novelty.
13 Likes: Chris Nunn, cowboyhar69, cwfan08, EBookerFan, erich45, kcarm92, nathans1012, oldfan49, PJ Wright, red70racer, spicoli, TNRustler, Tom23
ISF (Offline)
  #24 4/29/17 1:27 PM
Cars with fenders are not king at Route 66 dirt track. What is king at Route 66 are demolition derby's and monster trucks, etc. Demo derby's draw very well in the greater Chicago area. Even Santa Fe would pack 'em in for demo derby's. Lotta' money to be made promoting a well attended demo derby. A quality dirt open wheel event? Not so much.

I recall a USAC event at Route 66 dirt track many years ago featuring both the sprint cars and midgets only. What stands out among my limited recollections is that there was an above average crowd on hand. I believe this event only happened once, twice at the very most. Why it didn't catch on is somewhat of a mystery. One thing is for sure, the aforementioned USAC event at Route 66 was at least as well attended as any dirt late model show held there. I was in attendance at every late model show ever run at Route 66 to date.

I am still on the fence as to whether or not we're going to attend Wednesday's event at Route 66. The projected high for the day is 59 degrees with a low Wednesday night of 41. If we can get assurances that the sprint car A-main will be run 1st we may commit to the 50 minute trip.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
Crankin (Offline)
  #25 4/29/17 2:07 PM
Originally Posted by ISF:
Cars with fenders are not king at Route 66 dirt track.

If we can get assurances that the sprint car A-main will be run 1st we may commit to the 50 minute trip.
Umm, nothing was "king" because the oval hasn't been run in a long time.

So if u commit to the massive 50 minute drive, would you like the Triple Mocha Latte served directly to your seat? Or, will you just leave if the late models are run first?
2 Likes: Augie, kcarm92
axman775 (Offline)
  #26 4/29/17 2:39 PM
Sprint cars 45 min from my house- I have to support it. Instead of bashing someone for taking a risk, support them and hope we can expand open-wheel racing in fender country.
6 Likes: Crankin, nathans1012, PJ Wright, red70racer, spicoli, TNRustler
ISF (Offline)
  #27 4/29/17 5:08 PM
Originally Posted by Crankin:
Umm, nothing was "king" because the oval hasn't been run in a long time.

So if u commit to the massive 50 minute drive, would you like the Triple Mocha Latte served directly to your seat? Or, will you just leave if the late models are run first?
Umm, the demo derby's and monster trucks, which until displaced by another entertainment activity, hold the title of "king". Those activities were/are held on the front stretch and a portion of the the infield of the dirt track. The grandstands of the dirt track was/is the seating used for these spectacular events.

The imaging, which is pretty much self explanatory, is obviously from a time prior to the track reconfiguration. Whether demo derby's and monster trucks will continue to be "king" at Route 66 post track reconfiguration is a question for the present promoter. What is undeniable is that in the period of many years prior to track reconfiguration the track was not totally dormant and the "king" of entertainment activity of the Route 66 dirt track was/is something other than racing on the track.

To answer your question in a perfectly honest and frank manner, with temperatures projected to be in the mid to low 40's and with the POWRi National Midgets no longer part of the show and late models and modified's running their A-mains first, we probably won't be there at all.

Although I'm not completely sure what Triple Mocha Lotte is, it sounds like something I'd enjoy having delivered directly to my seat.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
Crankin (Offline)
  #28 4/29/17 5:22 PM
Umm, the demo derby's and monster trucks, which until displaced by another entertainment activity, hold the title of "king". Those activities were/are held on the front stretch and a portion of the the infield of the dirt track. The grandstands of the dirt track was/is the seating used for these spectacular events.

The imaging, which is pretty much self explanatory, is obviously from a time prior to the track reconfiguration. Whether demo derby's and monster trucks will continue to be "king" at Route 66 post track reconfiguration is a question for the present promoter. What is undeniable is that in the period of many years prior to track reconfiguration the track was not totally dormant and the "king" of entertainment activity of the Route 66 dirt track was/is something other than racing on the track.
What part of "the oval hasn't been run in a long time" do you not understand?
It's the semi-circular thing that most Midgets, Sprint Cars, Late Models, and those cars I hope they now run first just for you, Modifieds, run on.

To answer your question in a perfectly honest and frank manner, with temperatures projected to be in the mid to low 40's and with the POWRi National Midgets no longer part of the show and late models and modified's running their A-mains first, we probably won't be there at all.

Although I'm not completely sure what Triple Mocha Lotte is, it sounds like something I'd enjoy having delivered directly to my seat.
Yeah, that definitely doesn't surprise me.
wideopen24 (Offline)
  #29 4/29/17 5:51 PM
The Mount Baker Vapor #24 will be there Wednesday and any other time they host a mid week race for $2,000+ to win.

I appreciate them giving us an opportunity to race during the week and paying above the "local show" average purse.

PS. Modifieds deserve big money shows too.
11 Likes: EBookerFan, erich45, griffithracing, i love dirt track racing, kcarm92, nathans1012, oldfan49, PAW, spicoli, TNRustler, Toolman
ISF (Offline)
  #30 4/29/17 6:46 PM
Originally Posted by Crankin:
What part of "the oval hasn't been run in a long time" do you not understand?
I understand perfectly, but I must admit that it took much longer than it should have to realize what I'm dealing with. Filed as a miscalculation not to be made again.

However, what's grossly unclear is to what end varying priorities and inclinations would cause someone such as yourself unnecessary consternation.