IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Avon Open Wheel fan (Offline)
  #21 9/6/16 9:47 AM
Originally Posted by Crankin:
This was the Hall of Fame weekend/Lockhart Memorial race last year, just before the first heat race. Not putting up to ruffle anyone's feathers, but it might answer your question.
This is very interesting and thanks for sharing this picture. There was pretty decent size crowds both Saturday and Sunday night. We had 16 cars which I was very impressed to see. I've also had numerous other inquiries from potential new teams wanting to race with us.

Jay Tinder
Media and Competition Director
ILLINI Midgets

www.illinimidgets.com
LJC77 (Offline)
  #22 9/6/16 10:45 AM
Unfortunately pavement midgets will have a hard time time being a stand alone show.
It doesn't help that today's generation would rather play on their phone then get their hands dirty in the garage.
Getting youth involved in our sport is extremely important for its survival.
Seems like the big wheel races for the kids in the stands always are a hit.

Having teams stay afterwards so the kids can see, touch, and sit in the cars helps keep interest in open wheel racing.
It's exactly why I stayed at the track till 1am Sunday night.
I believe I had the only midget in the pits for the kids to see after the races, true a majority of them were there for the taxi cabs, but I had about 15 kids get to sit in and take pictures in an open wheel car.
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, erich45, gearguy, Task Force, TQ29m
Backitin (Offline)
  #23 9/6/16 3:25 PM
pavement midget racing will hopefully survive in its own little world, just like speedway racing does. Hardly anyone cares but those that do couldn't hardly live without it.
2 Likes: Larry G., Therealether
  #24 9/6/16 7:08 PM
Originally Posted by Crankin:
This was the Hall of Fame weekend/Lockhart Memorial race last year, just before the first heat race. Not putting up to ruffle anyone's feathers, but it might answer your question.
Sunday night crowd this year.

Jay Tinder
ILLINI Midgets

www.illinimidgets.com
Ryanshaneosborne (Offline)
  #25 9/6/16 8:26 PM
One of my greatest memories as a child was at the little 5 ,bob frey in the nieble v6 ,after the race glen nieble lifting me into the seat of the 20 ,thank u for taking time for the kids and allowing them to feel and smell the coolest race cars on the planet.
5 Likes: chase1989, interpreter66, LJC77, LRP36, PIT CART
  #26 9/6/16 8:40 PM
On a side not we had our first lightning sprint on pavement this weekend. This is the in car video from the car and it also shows how great of racing we had last weekend at Grundy County Speedway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w58n...be&app=desktop

Jay Tinder
ILLINI Midgets

www.illinimidgets.com
3 Likes: Backitin, RynoK1999, sprintracer82
v8j (Offline)
  #27 9/7/16 9:33 AM
When we ran pavement it was the fan favorite and with television Thursday Thunder always helped with sponsorship .The killer of pavement is motors at $30k+ tires that could not last more than 1 feature. Racing is entertainment and people have found other things to spend their money on. But thankfully Dirt racing is still surviving
Backitin (Offline)
  #28 9/7/16 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Avon Open Wheel fan:
Sunday night crowd this year.
That's a pretty nice crowd.
jjones752 (Offline)
  #29 9/7/16 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Avon Open Wheel fan:
On a side not we had our first lightning sprint on pavement this weekend. This is the in car video from the car and it also shows how great of racing we had last weekend at Grundy County Speedway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w58n...be&app=desktop
Jay, did he put a pavement brake setup on, or run with just a left front aluminum rotor?

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
  #30 9/7/16 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
Jay, did he put a pavement brake setup on, or run with just a left front aluminum rotor?
He just used the dirt set. If he had more brakes I'm sure he would be equally competitive.

Jay Tinder
ILLINI Midgets

www.illinimidgets.com